What is the best NMS for Telecom?

mike_...@hotmail.com

Oct 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/5/99
Hello. I work for a CLEC which has the folowing types of Network
Elements:

SONET ADMs (Fujitsu, Positron & Lucent)
SONET DACs (Alcatel & Lucent)
Lucent Class 5 switches and Subscriber Loop Carriers
Newbridge ATM switches
Cisco Routers

We offer voice, data (Frame rely, raw ATM)
Various voice services
Access to other LD carries

My question is what is the best Network Management System (Manager of
MAnagers) out there? I know HP OV OEMF, OSI NEtExpert, Lucent's array
of Mgmt products, but what would be the best to manage all these
equipment types? Presently, we are upgrading to Lucent's connectvu for
the switch config. We use Newbridge's 46020 for the ATM, Ciscoworks for
the Cisco's and OSI NexExpert for all thetransport gear. I am trying to
do a comprehensive analysis to determine the following:

1.) What is considered the best in the telecom industry
2.) What all is available
3.) What functionality does each platform offer.

Where can I go to get additional inofrmation. I tried all the big
vendor's web pages, but most stuff is marketing hype. I am looking for
a platform which will allow Fault, Configuration & Performance
management. (That is if something exists.)

Please help!

Any advice/comments will be appreciated.

Mike

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

willy

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99

I posted a while back on the exact same thing but without any response
because I'm trying to do the same thing where I work. I have called
large companies in the local area and most say that they are doing
separate LAN and voice/PBX management which is hard to believe except
when you consider the fact of internal politics.

Obviously, the first step is to get as complete an inventory on all the
equipment (SNMP, TL1, non-SNMP, proprietary, etc.) as is possible. This
would include any equipment that has even the slightest chance of
wanting to be centrally/remotely managed. For me this includes LAN type
equipment (routers, hubs, switches), videoconferencing, PBX,
multiplexing (SONET, DACS, channel banks, CSU/DSU), trunked radio
equipment, SCADA, you name it. It is from this list that manager(s) can
prioritize what they consider to be most important and are willing to
spend the money on managing. Given this, find the vendors who can
manage the equipment now and still provide the flexibility to add
future equipment (because you know there'll be more) to their managed
list at little or no cost.
The two NMS's I have seen thus far that fit are:

Harris Network Management
http://www.commprod.harris.com/network-mgmt/hnm-index.html

Megasys Telenium Network Management
http://www.megasys.com/index_ie40.htm

It seems all other NMS's are either LAN or telecom oriented and don't
really address the complexities/varieties of a private network which is
what I am trying to manage and which, if expanded upon greatly, is what
you are trying to manage.

The ability to write/compile your own code to add future equipment may
also be a consideration if you choose to do it yourself. I am also
working with our IS group and they want to do client/server application
monitoring. I am currently coming up with a list of factors (user
interface, administration/authorization, etc.) for evaluating these
NMS's and would appreciate any input you or others might have.
Obviously, no one product is going to satisfy all these factors but it
helps to have a fat list to start shopping from and then focus from
there.

Hope this helps. Post or e-mail if you need other info.

e-pastel

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
have you looked at OpenMaster from BullSoft ? They do LAN as well as Telecom and
Application Management and Security !
http://www.bullsoft.com/

Bryan Joseph

Oct 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/7/99