MRTG Perl error? MRTG error? I'm so confused.

pf

Oct 23, 2002, 9:26:49 PM10/23/02
Hi All,
I'm using MRTG 2.9.20 on a HP-UX 11.00 box with the latest depot
software/libraries from Utah.

MRTG runs from the cron as advertised, but I get the following error:
Can't locate package $VERSION for @MRTG_lib::ISA at /usr/local/bin/mrtg
line 59
main::BEGIN() called at /usr/local/bin/../lib/mrtg2/MRTG_lib.pm line
59
eval {...} called at /usr/local/bin/../lib/mrtg2/MRTG_lib.pm line 59

Cron: The previous message is the standard output
and standard error of one of your crontab commands:

/usr/local/bin/mrtg /usr/local/bin/mrtg.cfg --logging /var/log/mrtg.log

I have all the required libraries listed at
http://hpux.cs.utah.edu/hppd/hpux/Networking/Admin/mrtg-2.9.20/ and they
all loaded fine with no errors, as best as I can remember. I got Perl5.80,
and the rest, and they seem to be where they are supposed to be. I have
previously had MRTG running on this server with no problem, but, then, you
guessed it, I upgraded. Well, if you can figure out what that error means,
I would appreciate it, as I'm not a GURU. I'm cross posting, because I
really don't know where to put this one, it might be the pm itself, or the
version of Perl I'm using, or maybe I just need to delete something that I
don't need. I just am at a loss.
(don't try to email me), just posting will be fine.
Thanks,
Bob sends

brian d foy

Oct 24, 2002, 12:09:29 AM10/24/02

> I'm using MRTG 2.9.20 on a HP-UX 11.00 box with the latest depot
> software/libraries from Utah.
>
> MRTG runs from the cron as advertised, but I get the following error:
> Can't locate package $VERSION for @MRTG_lib::ISA at /usr/local/bin/mrtg
> line 59

that looks like one of the modules does not have a $VERSION variable which some
things need to figure out if they have the right version.

--
brian d foy <com...@panix.com> - Perl services for hire
The Perl Review - a new magazine devoted to Perl

Bluz

Oct 25, 2002, 9:32:13 AM10/25/02
Bob,

Have you found an answer to your posting yet? I'm experiencing the
same error message.

Rob

poker

Oct 25, 2002, 5:30:20 PM10/25/02
[posted and mailed]

brian d foy <com...@panix.com> spewed forth

> In article <Xns92B0DA2DC475...@24.25.0.82>, pf
> <nomai...@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm using MRTG 2.9.20 on a HP-UX 11.00 box with the latest depot
>> software/libraries from Utah.
>>
>> MRTG runs from the cron as advertised, but I get the following
>> error:
>> Can't locate package $VERSION for @MRTG_lib::ISA at /usr/local/bin/mrtg
>> line 59
>
> that looks like one of the modules does not have a $VERSION variable
> which some things need to figure out if they have the right version.

And ????? How do I fix it?

Martien Verbruggen

Oct 25, 2002, 7:32:32 PM10/25/02
On Thu, 24 Oct 2002 01:26:49 GMT,
pf <nomai...@nospam.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
> I'm using MRTG 2.9.20 on a HP-UX 11.00 box with the latest depot
> software/libraries from Utah.
>
> MRTG runs from the cron as advertised, but I get the following error:
> Can't locate package $VERSION for @MRTG_lib::ISA at /usr/local/bin/mrtg
> line 59
> main::BEGIN() called at /usr/local/bin/../lib/mrtg2/MRTG_lib.pm line
> 59
> eval {...} called at /usr/local/bin/../lib/mrtg2/MRTG_lib.pm line 59

Upgrade.

From the Changes file:

Changes 2.9.22
--------------
From: Nick Hilliard <ni...@iol.ie>
* fixed pid file handling under unix

From: Tobi
* removed VERSION for ISA arry in MRTG_lib.pm ... it has no reason to be
there, and perl 5.8 complains

[snip]

Martien
--

Martien Verbruggen | System Administration is a dirty job, but
| someone said I had to do it.

poker

Oct 26, 2002, 12:19:52 AM10/26/02
Martien Verbruggen <mg...@tradingpost.com.au> spewed forth

> On Thu, 24 Oct 2002 01:26:49 GMT,
> pf <nomai...@nospam.com> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>> I'm using MRTG 2.9.20 on a HP-UX 11.00 box with the latest depot
>> software/libraries from Utah.
>>
>> MRTG runs from the cron as advertised, but I get the following error:
>> Can't locate package $VERSION for @MRTG_lib::ISA at /usr/local/bin/mrtg
>> line 59
>> main::BEGIN() called at /usr/local/bin/../lib/mrtg2/MRTG_lib.pm line
>> 59
>> eval {...} called at /usr/local/bin/../lib/mrtg2/MRTG_lib.pm line 59
>
> Upgrade.
>
> From the Changes file:
>
> Changes 2.9.22
> --------------
> From: Nick Hilliard <ni...@iol.ie>
> * fixed pid file handling under unix
>
> From: Tobi
> * removed VERSION for ISA arry in MRTG_lib.pm ... it has no reason to be
> there, and perl 5.8 complains
>
> [snip]
>
> Martien

Thank you so much!!!!!

poker

Oct 26, 2002, 12:21:55 AM10/26/02
[posted and mailed]

blu...@hotmail.com (Bluz) spewed forth news:fa492f3f.0210250532.2748db67
@posting.google.com:

Bluz,
See the next posting from Tobi says, upgrade to 2.9.22, I hope there is a way
to do that on HP-UX......life is an adventure.

Martien Verbruggen

Oct 26, 2002, 12:44:46 AM10/26/02
On Sat, 26 Oct 2002 04:21:55 GMT,
poker <po...@nospam.com> wrote:
> [posted and mailed]
>
> blu...@hotmail.com (Bluz) spewed forth news:fa492f3f.0210250532.2748db67
> @posting.google.com:
>
>> Have you found an answer to your posting yet? I'm experiencing the
>> same error message.
>
> See the next posting from Tobi says, upgrade to 2.9.22, I hope there is a way
> to do that on HP-UX......life is an adventure.

If you're going to upgrade, upgrade to the latest. This particular
problem seems to have been fixed in 2.9.22, but other things have been
fixed after that. Unless you have a good reason not to want to use the
latest, just get that.

The mrtg is just a tar file that you can download and install. I doubt
very much that that would be a problem on HP-UX.

Martien
--

Martien Verbruggen | Little girls, like butterflies, need no
| excuse - Lazarus Long

poker

Oct 27, 2002, 10:58:17 PM10/27/02
[posted and mailed]

blu...@hotmail.com (Bluz) spewed forth news:fa492f3f.0210250532.2748db67
@posting.google.com:

> Bob,

Hi Bluz,
Since I'm using the MRTG depot software from Utah, I can't 'compile'
MRTG. So, I downloaded the latest tar.gz from MRTG, and copied the
lib/mrtg2 to the normal /usr/local/lib/mrtg2/ directory, using (cp -R).
That moves the latest pm modules into the right place, and MRTG works
again, as far as I can tell. As soon as the new 'MRTG depot' is posted at
utah, I'll download it and install, but for now it works.
Thanks for the help all!
Bob sends