USR 3cp5610A V.92 upgrade officially released.

Art Jackson

Nov 30, 2001, 9:37:46 PM11/30/01
http://www.usr.com/v92/v-qualify.asp
Good luck.

--
Art Jackson W4TOY Owensboro, KY USA
Mud Chapel Quartet, Southern Gospel Music
Life is God's open book test. In order to pass,
you must open His book to find the answers.

Darren Miner

Dec 1, 2001, 10:00:21 AM12/1/01
On Sat, 01 Dec 2001 02:37:46 +0000, Art Jackson <rtj...@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

I took the plunged and flashed. The flash changed the plug and play
device ID, so that Windows Me could no longer recognize the device. I
had to manually hack the registry to fix this. The problem is that
there is no updated .inf file available yet for this device, either on
the USR Web site or on their FTP site. The other possible problem is
that the connect speed is much slower that it used to be; I have not
run any download speed tests yet, so the actual download speed may not
have changed.

--Darren Miner

Art Jackson

Dec 1, 2001, 11:01:42 AM12/1/01
Darren Miner wrote:

> On Sat, 01 Dec 2001 02:37:46 +0000, Art Jackson <rtj...@bellsouth.net>
> wrote:
>

>>http://www.usr.com/v92/v-qualify.asp
>>Good luck.
>>

> I took the plunged and flashed. The flash changed the plug and play
> device ID, so that Windows Me could no longer recognize the device. I
> had to manually hack the registry to fix this. The problem is that
> there is no updated .inf file available yet for this device, either on
> the USR Web site or on their FTP site. The other possible problem is
> that the connect speed is much slower that it used to be; I have not
> run any download speed tests yet, so the actual download speed may not
> have changed.
>
> --Darren Miner

Run the Control Center in Configure Mode and see if the Enable PCM
upstream is checked. If it is, uncheck it and save it to the modem.
That may help restore it to normal. Good luck.

Andrew Rossmann

Dec 1, 2001, 12:13:37 PM12/1/01
[This followup was posted to comp.dcom.modems and a copy was sent to the
cited author.]

In article <3c08efa5...@nntp.ix.netcom.com>,
chacko.N...@ix.netcom.com says...

If it's anything like the v.92 upgrade for the 5686-03, you are in
trouble. I've lost 4-8K of connection speed, and downloads are genuinely
slower. I've tried everything, including disabling all the v.92 stuff,
deleting/reinstalling 'drivers', etc.. I used to get consistent 45.2K
connections. Now I get either 41.2K or 37.2K. I'm now looking for a new
modem. USR told me there is no way to downgrade it back to the old code.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross

Alexey Stanovoy

Dec 1, 2001, 12:31:24 PM12/1/01
Hello, Art!
You wrote on Sat, 01 Dec 2001 02:37:46 +0000:

AJ> http://www.usr.com/v92/v-qualify.asp

Good. Where is new drivers? You know?

Your truly,
Alexey Stanovoy

Rick Collins

Dec 1, 2001, 12:49:53 PM12/1/01

"Andrew Rossmann" <andyross@no_junk.worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> If it's anything like the v.92 upgrade for the 5686-03, you are in
> trouble. I've lost 4-8K of connection speed, and downloads are
genuinely
> slower. I've tried everything, including disabling all the v.92
stuff,
> deleting/reinstalling 'drivers', etc.. I used to get consistent
45.2K
> connections. Now I get either 41.2K or 37.2K. I'm now looking for a
new
> modem. USR told me there is no way to downgrade it back to the old
code.

Of course there is. The "old code" is just a software update just as
the "new code" was. They may not want to give you access to it, but it
does exist.

Pester the hell out of them and they might relent.

Art Jackson

Dec 1, 2001, 3:41:09 PM12/1/01
Alexey Stanovoy wrote:

No one seems to know where they are Alexey. Not even their contracted
Tech Support. If you are handy at editing .inf files you can make your
own. Take the present .inf files, edit them to show the new PnP code,
and name change that the modem now has, then replace the original
Connect messages with those from 00568603.inf which has V.92 connect
messages and other related information. The latest 00568603.inf is on
USR's FTP/Web pages. No guarantee, but it worked for me. I still would
like to see USR release a valid driver/inf file. If you look at their
Products page, you will find a new 5610b V.92 modem listed but it says
"Out of stock". Makes me wonder if they are going to sell them without
drivers too. ;^( Good luck.

Darren Miner

Dec 1, 2001, 4:53:41 PM12/1/01
On Sat, 01 Dec 2001 20:41:09 +0000, Art Jackson <rtj...@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

>Alexey Stanovoy wrote:

I am attaching the hacked .inf file for the 5610A modem with the PnP
name fixed and the v92 strings included. I deleted the Windows NT
entries to make the file smaller. If you use NT, just cut and paste
the missing sections back into the file. Hope this helps.

--Darren Miner

Andrew Rossmann

Dec 1, 2001, 5:48:53 PM12/1/01
In article <MPG.1672cc6b9...@netnews.att.net>,
andyross@no_junk.worldnet.att.net says...

Don't you hate it when you have to reply to yourself??

I bought a Zoom 3049L from a local store. No better, if not worse, than
the upgraded USR. I'll be returning it tomorrow.

I just remembered that there is a 56K USR modem at work that is rarely,
if ever, used. I'll see if I can swap it, at least temporarily, to test if
there was some other cause for the speed drop.

Art Jackson

Dec 1, 2001, 6:05:34 PM12/1/01
Darren Miner wrote:

> On Sat, 01 Dec 2001 20:41:09 +0000, Art Jackson <rtj...@bellsouth.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Alexey Stanovoy wrote:

> >> Good. Where is new drivers? You know?
> >>
> >> Your truly,
> >> Alexey Stanovoy
> >>

> >No one seems to know where they are Alexey. Not even their contracted
> >Tech Support. If you are handy at editing .inf files you can make your
> >own. Take the present .inf files, edit them to show the new PnP code,
> >and name change that the modem now has, then replace the original
> >Connect messages with those from 00568603.inf which has V.92 connect
> >messages and other related information. The latest 00568603.inf is on
> >USR's FTP/Web pages. No guarantee, but it worked for me. I still would
> >like to see USR release a valid driver/inf file. If you look at their
> >Products page, you will find a new 5610b V.92 modem listed but it says
> >"Out of stock". Makes me wonder if they are going to sell them without
> >drivers too. ;^( Good luck.
> >

> I am attaching the hacked .inf file for the 5610A modem with the PnP
> name fixed and the v92 strings included. I deleted the Windows NT
> entries to make the file smaller. If you use NT, just cut and paste
> the missing sections back into the file. Hope this helps.
>
> --Darren Miner

Many servers won't allow attachments. It didn't show up here. Copy
and paste should work. Good luck.