USR5637 "not present" but lights up

vjp...@at.biostrategist.dot.dot.com

Apr 18, 2019, 6:51:38 PM4/18/19
WHy did it disappear?
Is the modem damaged?
I seem to recall it happened before
and I had to reinstall the driver?
Is this so? Why?

- = -
Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus
blog: panix.com/~vjp2/ruminatn.htm - = - web: panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm
facebook.com/vasjpan2 - linkedin.com/in/vasjpan02 - biostrategist.com

Moe Trin

Apr 19, 2019, 7:57:28 PM4/19/19
On Thu, 18 Apr 2019, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.dcom.modems, in article
<q9av1p$po5$1...@reader2.panix.com>, vjp...@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

>WHy did it disappear?
>Is the modem damaged?

Your headers say

I'm not going to be much help, as I'm using Linux. You might have
better luck in a BSD newsgroup or mailing list.

[fermi ~]$ whatis lsusb
lsusb (8) - list USB devices
[fermi ~]$ lsusb | grep Robo
Bus 002 Device 018: ID 0baf:0303 U.S. Robotics
[fermi ~]$

Does your system show any other USB devices?

Plugging the modem in to a USB port produces about 7 lines of babble
in /var/log/messages

usb 2-8: new high-speed USB device number 21 using xhci_hcd
usb 2-8: New USB device found, idVendor=0baf, idProduct=0303
usb 2-8: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=10
usb 2-8: Product: USB Modem
usb 2-8: Manufacturer: U.S.Robotics
usb 2-8: SerialNumber: 0000002
cdc_acm 2-8:2.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device

>I seem to recall it happened before
>and I had to reinstall the driver?

In Linux, the 'driver" is included in the kernel, and the USR
instructions state "You do not need to install any drivers off the
USRobotics installation CD-ROM." On the other hand, OSX 10.4
(or later) did have a driver on the USR CD. There was no mention
of *BSD on the CD.

Old guy

vjp...@at.biostrategist.dot.dot.com

Apr 21, 2019, 8:24:15 PM4/21/19
Well I use both Linux (Debian/Knoppix/Quantian) and Windows on this machine.
I replaced the USR modem whenit stopped working but Linux doesn't see the new
modem which is filemate/connexant

Moe Trin

Apr 22, 2019, 1:52:36 PM4/22/19
On Mon, 22 Apr 2019, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.dcom.modems, in article
<q9j1jf$gpa$1...@reader2.panix.com>, vjp...@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

>I use both Linux (Debian/Knoppix/Quantian)

OK - do you see the lines I posted from /var/log/messages?
Does the 'lsusb' command show the modem? Does 'lsmod' show
the kernel modules installed?

[fermi ~]$ whatis lsmod
lsmod (8) - Show the status of modules in the Linux Kernel
[fermi ~]$ lsmod | grep acm
cdc_acm 17900 0
usbcore 128741 8 ehci_hcd,xhci_hcd,usbhid,cdc_acm
[fermi ~]$

> and Windows on this machine.

Haven't used windows since NT4, maybe 23 years ago.

Old guy