Cable boxes' signals compared to cable modems' signals..

Ant

Jun 22, 2014, 8:05:59 PM6/22/14
Hello.

I was at my parents' place again, and was noticed some of their TWC's
digital channels (e.g., HBO) were not always clear (pixellated,
corruptions, etc.). It didn't matter which room too, through HDTVs'
tuners or TWC's Motorola cable boxes, etc. I looked at Motorola's
diagnostics and confused on how to read these technical info(rmation)
compared to cable modems. There's a lot more than cable modems'! Am I
only looking at their download and upload streams? I don't think I saw
any SNR values? There were a long menu list of options!

If it is a low signal issue due to very long coax cables and many
splitters due to the size of their place, then what's the best way to
fix it? Put a signal amplifier in where the TWC coax cable enters the
building? I remember they had issues with their Internet and phone
services due to signals even when TWC technician was installing a few
years ago. I assume the switch over to all digital and losing analog
(they still have analog and some free digital QAM channels) will not fix
this issue?

Thank you in advance. :)
--
"If I find one beer can in that car, it's over!" --Red; "And no donuts
either! Ants!" --Kitty from That '70s Show pilot

tech...@gmail.com

Jun 28, 2015, 12:19:14 PM6/28/15
The best way to fix it, it to review the house with your parents and pick a SINGLE splitter location, have new RG6 wires run from each outlet to that location.

The lazy way to fix it, is find out where the signal it still in spec but on the lower side of the range and install a house amp then repeat as necessary, but this does not fix the return, and is not future proof. It's also akin to a list of ailments like excessive tilt, excessive return levels, and multiple points of potential failure.

DO what you want, but only one is the "Right" way.

No digital only will only make it worse, instead of slightly fuzzy analog signal which the eyes can adjust to, you get tiling which looks like an incomplete puzzle. AKA pixelation.