RR cable modem w/multiple IP's + home Lan -- Best way to configure?

coffeo

Feb 8, 2001, 11:56:05 AM2/8/01
I have looked at this board extensively and still need help. I have 3
PC's (2 desktop and one portable -- which is moved and uses different
ethernet connections). Lucky enough to have RR with permitted access to
multiple IP addresses. Current network configuration: Cable modem,
simple linksys 5 port hub, TCP/IP, NetBeui (for home LAN), file and
print sharing (password protected) and Norton Firewall. RR work fine.
Home network is a disaster: unreliable, unpredictable connections (both
browsing and direct file share access). I have followed forum advice
and
reduced network configuration to bare minimum.

Need advice: (1) Can I make this work with the current
hardware/software configuration? If so, how? and (2) Is a router a
better way to go (and will it support multiple IP addresses from RR)?

Thanks for the help.

(Note: also posting on windows98.networking board)

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Steve Winograd

Feb 8, 2001, 12:55:12 PM2/8/01
In article <95uj2v$vld$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, coffeo <cof...@my-deja.com>
wrote:

(1) Yes, this configuration should work. First, disable or un-install
Norton Firewall on all computers while troubleshooting the network.
An improperly configured firewall can cause network problems.

You've made a good choice by installing NetBEUI for File and Printer
Sharing, because TCP/IP won't work for F&P Sharing unless all of the
computers have IP addresses in the same subnet. I don't know about
RR, but my @Home service won't guarantee that. Computers could be in
different subnets each time they boot, causing them to appear and
disappear from Network Neighborhood.

Make these settings in Control Panel | Network on all computers:

TCP/IP->NIC | Properties | Bindings: un-check all of the boxes
NetBEUI->NIC | Properties | Bindings: check all of the boxes
NetBEUI->NIC | Properties | Advanced: make it the default protocol
Identification tab: same workgroup name

(2) The routers that I'm familiar with can only use one IP address
from RR. Their WAN port gets that IP address, and all of the
computers connected to the LAN ports get IP addresses on the same
private subnet. That could be an advantage:

1. If you're paying a monthly fee for additional IP addresses, you
could cancel them and save money. The router would pay for itself
over a period of time.

2. Since all of the computers would have IP addresses on the same
subnet, so you could remove NetBEUI and use TCP/IP for F&P Sharing.

Here are some good sites for additional network troubleshooting help:

Troubleshooting Browsing with Client for Microsoft Networks
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q134/3/04.asp

Troubleshooting Windows 95/98/98 Second Edition Network Connection
Problems
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q192/5/34.asp

Trouble Shooting Center
http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/trouble.htm

How To Fix Problems with the Network Neighborhood
http://www.sohointer.net/howto/fix-hood.htm
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd

Sorry, but I don't give technical support by e-mail.
Please post all questions in the news group.

Steve's Networking FAQ
http://www.sohointer.net/winograd/faq.htm

HM

Feb 8, 2001, 8:52:46 PM2/8/01
I agree with disabling the firewall while troubleshooting. One thing I did
when I set mine up like yours was add the protocal ipx and allowed print and
file sharing under that and disabled it from tcp/ip for a more secure
network.

"coffeo" <cof...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

glenn C

Feb 9, 2001, 9:30:03 PM2/9/01
I have 4 computers hooked up on a home LAN (10/100), using an inexpensive
4-port D-Link 10/100 hub. All computers are running Win98SE or WinME.
The network is exceptionally reliable. Two of the 4 network adapters are
external USB 10/100 (Hawking), one is an internal 10/100 Linksys NIC, and
one is an internal 10/100 D-link NIC. The network is fast and reliable.
Using NETBUI for this.
I also have one PC (the "server") connected via a USB 10/100 network
adapter to a 3-com cable modem supplied by RoadRunner, my broadband ISP.
The "server" computer is running Win98SE, and is running Microsoft
internet connection sharing (ICS), which comes with Win98SE (but not
Win98). ICS is intended and designed to permit multiple concurrent usage
of a single ISP connection. I have had all four computers accessing the
internet thru the single cable modem at the same time, with almost no
perceptible degradation of speed. It works flawlessly, and avoids having
to pay for multiple ISP accounts, since only one is needed.
This is one feature that Microsoft got right! I don't know why anyone
would spend money on a router on a home network. Also, if you want good
software firewall protection, install ZoneAlarm (FREE download from
ZoneLabs.com).
This configuration is working GREAT for me. I recommend it highly.
-GC

coffeo

Feb 10, 2001, 12:21:53 PM2/10/01
Thanks to all for suggestions. Implemented several Winograd changes
(all TCP/IP bindings off; NetBeui as default)that were new to me. So
far, everything working fine.

In article <t899tbk...@corp.supernews.com>,