Comcast 20 megabits?

Fritz Owl

Apr 29, 2015, 4:20:01 PM4/29/15

When did Comcast go to 20 megabits plus on their residential service? I
always thought those kinds of speeds were only avaialble on their Business
Class service.

The 10-watt USB adapter I have on my laptop connects to whatever unsecured
wireless it can find, and at one Fish and Chips shop on Stockton Blvd in
Sacramento, my laptop uses on Comcast residential connection running an open
WiFi. I was surprised to find that Comcast residential service has 20
megabit speeds. I have always thought you had to get the more expensive
business class service if you wantd that kind of speed. Speedtest shows the
connection speed at about 20 megabits.

The software driver for my USB adaper looks for and connects to whatever
open WiFi it can find.

And I always thought that runnng open WiFi was verboten on Comcast
residential services.

Bit Twister

Apr 29, 2015, 6:27:14 PM4/29/15
On Wed, 29 Apr 2015 13:19:59 -0700, Fritz Owl wrote:

> When did Comcast go to 20 megabits plus on their residential service?

When they were seeing customers jumping over to Verizon FiOS to get
faster speeds. Here in Dallas Texas, Comcast/RoadRunner Extreme
package is 30/5 for $78.

I jumped back to Comcast because the 25/25 FiOS went to $87 a month and
Comcast gave me one year $55/mo price. Thinking about going back to FiOS
because Verizion has offered me $30+tax a month for two years.

> And I always thought that runnng open WiFi was verboten on Comcast
> residential services.

Running open WiFi or services to the public is a no no on any
residential service for either ISP.

Message has been deleted

Ken Whiton

Apr 30, 2015, 3:53:05 AM4/30/15
*-* On Wed, 29 Apr 2015, at 13:19:59 -0700,
*-* In Article <55413cf0$0$54602$c3e8da3$fdf4...@news.astraweb.com>,
*-* Fritz Owl wrote
*-* About Comcast 20 megabits?

> When did Comcast go to 20 megabits plus on their residential service?
> I always thought those kinds of speeds were only avaialble on their
> Business Class service.

Boy, are you behind the times!!!!! ;-) Comcast has had
residential speeds up to 105 Megabits for a few years now.

> The 10-watt USB adapter I have on my laptop connects to whatever
> unsecured wireless it can find, and at one Fish and Chips shop on
> Stockton Blvd in Sacramento, my laptop uses on Comcast residential
> connection running an open WiFi. I was surprised to find that
> Comcast residential service has 20 megabit speeds. I have always
> thought you had to get the more expensive business class service if
> you wantd that kind of speed. Speedtest shows the connection speed
> at about 20 megabits.

> The software driver for my USB adaper looks for and connects to
> whatever open WiFi it can find.

> And I always thought that runnng open WiFi was verboten on Comcast
> residential services.

Are you sure that it was residential, and not one of the WiFi
"Hot Spots" that Comcast itself operates, "piggy-backed" on the combo
modem/routers they supply to their customers?

Ken Whiton
--
FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: kenw...@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)