uncap cablemodem

Mike Ch.

Apr 27, 2003, 10:05:33 PM4/27/03
Hi all,

I have spent days reading stuff on how to uncap a cable modem. However, it
doesn't seem to work with the model I have Samsung Inforanger SCM-110R
(docsis compliant).

Anyone has any suggestion ?

many thanks,
Mike

Charles Newman

Apr 28, 2003, 12:14:55 AM4/28/03

Yes, quit it. What you are doing is against the law,
and can get you 5-10 years in prison

"Mike Ch." <nos...@nospam.com> wrote in message

Rich

Apr 28, 2003, 12:40:33 AM4/28/03
especially if he has Ohio Buckeye Express as his cable isp

"Charles Newman" <charles...@attbi.com> wrote in message

Nehmo Sergheyev

Apr 28, 2003, 1:59:06 PM4/28/03
Mike
> > uncap a cable modem...Samsung Inforanger SCM-110R
> >(docsis compliant).
> > .any suggestion ?

Charles Newman

> Yes, quit it. What you are doing is against the law,
> and can get you 5-10 years in prison

Nehmo
I can see a civil element, certainly, but under what criminal statute
could he be prosecuted? It's debatable if a cable uncapper can be
prosecuted under simple theft (of service) laws, because the uncapper
has purchased an account. Using it in a way that gets more than the
contract permits should be a civil matter. After researching the
subject, I can see that lots people *say* that uncapping is illegal, but
does anybody know of an actual prosecution for it?

The next question is how can the ISP detect the uncapped modem?
http://osiris.978.org/~brianr/mirrors/www.iscentral.org/%257Etcniso/main
/help.htm

"If uncap my modem just a little, would my ISP know?
Yes. The ISPs detect changed variables with SNMP requests, so changing
anything in your config file can result in detection. If you download
more data in a day that is higher than the amount possible (while being
capped). That can also set off a flag."

Also, I found this on the subject:
http://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread/t-919.html

"I've been sitting on this for a while debating morally
weither or not I should post it. After being lied to by multiple
cable internet companies, told that I'm stupid by cable modem
vendors, and having my access turned off for complaining about
broken DNS i've decided that it's time to post.

2) legal stuff

This is theft of service, you will be probably get caught, don't
do it if you value your cable internet service.

This document is only to be redistributed/copied with the original
text included (including credit to myself).

3) explanation

Companies are out to make money, they hire people with book knowledge,
and stupid things like this happen. (Hi AT&T, your DNS is _still_ broken
even after it was fixed for 2 weeks)

Basicly it's a simple ARP caching thing, it's easy to fix in the modems
and somewhat easy to obscure at the ISP. I'm sure *someone* must have
done this besides me, but from all my searches on the web I've seen
nothing but 'it's impossible' messages, the only people I know that
can do it are people I showed how. I'm sure i'm going to upset those
people by posting this, oh well.

4) Let's get started

Cable modems known to work with this:
3Com Sharkfin (all models)
Motorola (all models)
Toshiba PCX1100
Cisco (?)

Modems that probably don't work:
RCA DCM235
3Com CMX (USR)

First, you need the following:
An operating system with
1) A tftp server,
2) snmp software (I used ucd-snmp),
3) a DOCSIS config file generator such as this one:
http://docsis.sourceforge.net/

5) Go go go.

a) determine the address of the modems TFTP server, some modems
are nice enough to give this info to you on their web interface,
others via SNMP, i've been told that a lot of providers use the
same address as their DHCP servers. Most modems use 192.168.100.1
as their interface address, try to snmpwalk it with the coax
disconnected after rebooting (some retain their config information,
but reset the community strings). (AT&T/MediaOne has 'public'
enabled for the ro string.. go from there)

b) determine the name of the configuration file, use the same methods
as above, or see below if you're running a semi intelligent tftp server.

You need to generate a DOCSIS config file for your modem to use, read
the documentation and examples from the docsis config file program
mentioned above.

c) set the address of your chosen machine to the address of the
tftp server, start pinging the address of the cable modem
(192.168.100.1 usually), this will cause the modem to put
you in its arp tables when you reboot it (reboot it now)

d) the modem will (hopefully) connect to your machine and start
(trying) to download the configuration file, if you couldn't determine
what it was named earlier this is where the smart tftp server comes in,
it should tell you what file name the modem attempted to grab.

e) You're done, easy wasn't it?"

--
*******************
* Nehmo Sergheyev *

devnull

Apr 28, 2003, 3:10:11 PM4/28/03

Rich

Apr 28, 2003, 3:23:44 PM4/28/03
the FCC and FBI have both sentenced a dozen people in OHIO and other states
for theft of cable service for uncapping their cable modem.Plus its very
easy for a cable isp to know when a modem is uncapped when the node attached
to the uncapped modem is all of a sudden sending out a ton of packets both
incoming and outgoing.its happened before and it will happen again.

here is a case of a cable modem uncapping lawsuit
http://www.vnunet.com/News/1133080

and here is the full story about it
http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?Site=TO&Date=20020627&Categ
ory=NEWS03&ArtNo=106270073&Ref=AR

so yes it is a FEDERAL OFFENCE.
"Nehmo Sergheyev" <neh...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Boyd Williston

Apr 29, 2003, 12:40:27 AM4/29/03
"Mike Ch." <nos...@nospam.com> wrote in

Quit trying it. You cannot uncap the modem without violating your contract
with your ISP, and you cannot do it so as to be undetectable -- your rate
of d/l is *easily* tracked. The least severe penalty when (not if) you are
caught is to be charged the full amount of the account type that would
cover your rate -- a business account that costs several times what you
are paying now, possibly $250 per month or more. You could be permanently
limited to dial-up. A large fine is a real possibility. So is confiscation
of all your computer equipment.

George

Apr 29, 2003, 8:56:27 AM4/29/03

"Rami100735" <sorry_you_...@email-addy.com> wrote in message
> Actually with the Patriot Act it was increased to a minimum of 10 years in
> Federal Pen.
> Oh yeh, they only have dial up there......lol

Maybe not...I read an article a few years ago where prisoners in a
particular prison were not happy because premium TV programming was not
available. So some prisoners filled the appropriate suit about their rights
etc. So the result was that we have to provide premium TV programming for
them.

Tim A.

Apr 29, 2003, 11:29:01 AM4/29/03
Why does everyone jump on people who ask these sorts of questions? 99% of
people who try to uncap their cable modems KNOW its illegal, they don't need
that advice from you.

To answer your question Mike, many cable companies employ Shared Secret
technology in their CMTS boxes in DOCSIS environments. I am not the most
knowledgeable on the subject but your modem essentially sends out a password
check to the CMTS after it recevies its config file, and if it does not
match the password stored their the modem will not be allowed on the system.

Before DOCSIS it was much easier to uncap modems for many reasons, including
the non-existense of Shared Secret. Unless you are an advanced hacker, and
maybe not even then, will you be able to uncap your modem without knowing
the ins and outs of your cable company's particular network architecture and
configurations.

Hope that helps.
Tim

P.S. To all the flame throwers I do not advocate illegal activity, I simply
wanted address someones question instead of flaming him.

Warren

Apr 29, 2003, 12:29:23 PM4/29/03
Tim A. wrote:
> Why does everyone jump on people who ask these sorts of questions? 99%
of
> people who try to uncap their cable modems KNOW its illegal, they
don't need
> that advice from you.

Go into one of the banking forums and ask a question about how to rob a
bank. Do you really think that anyone is going to help someone so dumb
to go out in public and start asking people for help doing something
illegal?

The presumption when someone publicly asks how to do something illegal
in public is that the person asking either doesn't know it's illegal,
and need a friendly warning before they do something really stupid. On
the other hand, maybe they're just trolls looking for people who are
willing to become involved in illegal activity much like the decoy
streetwalkers the police put out there.

I like to believe the best about people until they prove me wrong. (And
many people go out of their way to give me prove quickly.) I may be
wrong, but I believe that most of the people asking these questions do
NOT know it's illegal, and to not tell those people that it is illegal
is a huge disservice to them. (And those who do already know it's
illegal could do well to be given a warning that it's pretty stupid to
ask strangers on the street to help them do something illegal.) Good
advice is still good advice even if someone doesn't want to take it.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.

Gfretwell

Apr 29, 2003, 12:31:46 PM4/29/03
>Maybe not...I read an article a few years ago where prisoners in a
>particular prison were not happy because premium TV programming was not
>available. So some prisoners filled the appropriate suit about their rights
>etc. So the result was that we have to provide premium TV programming for
>them.

I am not a big fan of criminals but I must point out that they pay for their
cable (not the state). Prisoners get paid for the work they do. If the bleeding
heart unions had their way the inmates would get a full union wage, causing
them to make more than the Correctional Officers, simply for sweeping up!
As it is they still make a couple bucks an hour when they work.

Mike Ch.

Apr 29, 2003, 6:04:47 PM4/29/03
Thank you all for your feedback.

Since I paid for the modem cable equipment (not rent it). I assumed I could
do whatever I want with it. I guess what they say is true: When you 'ASSUME'
you make an 'ASS of U and ME'

My car can go up to 225Kmh but at exactly 180kmh the car computer used to
cut all electricity going to the engine. The car designer do that on purpose
to prevent going more than 180kmh. So I went to a car performance store and
they replaced the computer chip with a performance chip which unlocked the
limit. The chip also calculates the mix ratio of gas/air. Anyway, my point
is it was legal to unlock my car top speed but not legal to unlock my modem

I know I know... going 225Kmh is another thing against the law...

A legal solution: Buy an old cable modem model supported by your ISP but old
enough so that they cannot program a U/L limit.
--
Mike

"Boyd Williston" <boydwillist...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Charles Newman

Apr 29, 2003, 6:05:24 PM4/29/03

Well, it depends on the cable company. Some cable
companies really bring the hammer down with crminal
prosecutions, while others will be content with
termination of service.

"Rich" <x...@x.com> wrote in message

Gfretwell

Apr 29, 2003, 6:43:07 PM4/29/03
> Well, it depends on the cable company. Some cable
>companies really bring the hammer down with crminal
>prosecutions, while others will be content with
>termination of service.

I have seen the stories about "criminal" charges but nobody has ever posted a
link to a criminal "conviction" or even a case that made it to trial. It is a
lot harder to find a jury that doesn't have one person who hates the cable
company than to simply bring this in civil court. I really suspect the mere
threat of a civil case is where 99% of these cases end.
I find it intresting that the same people who use a bank robber analogy,
maintain cable crooks are getting up to 10 years in prison. Most bank robbers
serve a very small fraction of that and may not serve a day if it is a first
offense, no weapon etc.
I sure wouldn't want to be the SAIC of an FBI office where terrorists killed a
bunch of people and I had to say my agents were chasing modem uncappers instead
of protecting the public from bombers.

Don Briggs

Apr 29, 2003, 11:20:09 PM4/29/03
The articles discussed below are lots of fun, but they do not establish that
uncapping the
modem is illegal. Check out toward the end of the article in the Toledo
Blade. They
finally get down to "It violates the customer agreement." That's not quite
the same as
being illegal. And the mere fact that the cops muck and duck and confiscate
computers
doesn't mean it's illegal.

Point two. It may be illegal but the material cited in the articles below
certainly
doesn't establish that.

"Rich" <x...@x.com> wrote in message
> [...]

Warren

Apr 29, 2003, 11:29:11 PM4/29/03
Mike Ch. wrote:

> My car can go up to 225Kmh but at exactly 180kmh the car computer used
> cut all electricity going to the engine. The car designer do that on
purpose
> to prevent going more than 180kmh. So I went to a car performance
store and
> they replaced the computer chip with a performance chip which unlocked
the
> limit. The chip also calculates the mix ratio of gas/air. Anyway, my
point
> is it was legal to unlock my car top speed but not legal to unlock my
modem

> I know I know... going 225Kmh is another thing against the law...

So then you understand why your example doesn't apply, right?

> A legal solution: Buy an old cable modem model supported by your ISP
but old
> enough so that they cannot program a U/L limit.

I see you're a bit unclear on how this all works.

While some of the proprietary systems of the past were harder to manage,
most of those systems do not exist. When they do exist, they do not
allow customer-owned modems.

So you're going to need a DOCSIS modem that's on your ISP's list of
modems that they will provision. Your modem, even if it was one of the
first DOCSIS modems out of the plant, is going to be under the control
of the network you connect it to.

By the way, it may be illegal to circumvent any encryption on the
electronic controls in your car, too. But just as people will sell you
bootleg DVD's and MOD chips for your X-Box, there will be people selling
illegal MOD chips for your car as well. The RIAA and Microsoft aren't
interested in them, so as long as you aren't actually speeding on the
public highway, there may be no one who cares that you're violating the
DMCA, or that someone helped you.

Ramon F Herrera

Apr 30, 2003, 7:00:03 AM4/30/03
A reminder to the people involved in this thread:
while many countries immediately follow USAs technical
lead, they have a tendency to lag in regulatory matters.

Perhaps it is illegal to uncap a cable modem _in_the_USA,
but in other countries using exactly the same technology
the issue is simply unregulated, and last time I checked
everything which is not explicitly forbidden is allowed.

Therefore, would you folks please feel free to discuss
cable modem uncapping, cable box descramblers, etc?

Thanks,

-Ramon

Charles Newman

Apr 30, 2003, 12:51:27 PM4/30/03

"Gfretwell" <gfre...@aol.comGreg> wrote in message

> > Well, it depends on the cable company. Some cable
> >companies really bring the hammer down with crminal
> >prosecutions, while others will be content with
> >termination of service.
> >

> I have seen the stories about "criminal" charges but nobody has ever
posted a
> link to a criminal "conviction" or even a case that made it to trial. It
is a
> lot harder to find a jury that doesn't have one person who hates the cable
> company than to simply bring this in civil court. I really suspect the
mere

Well, juries can be forced to follow the law, and not
their feelings. The typical judges instructions to the jury
is that they must follow the law, and not their feelings.

Gfretwell

Apr 30, 2003, 4:09:27 PM4/30/03
> Well, juries can be forced to follow the law, and not
>their feelings. The typical judges instructions to the jury
>is that they must follow the law, and not their feelings.

I guess you were living in a cave when OJ got off. It's called "jury
nullification" and it only requires that the defense present a reasonable
doubt. The reality is, something as exotic as "modem uncapping" would probably
go over the head of half the jury. They might have a hard time even
understanding that is is a crime. That is why 99% <plus> of all "cable crime"
ends up in a civil court.
Please post a verifiable case of ANY single subscriber who was actually
convicted in CRIMINAL court for owning a legally purchased descrambler or
uncapping a purchased modem. This is simply a civil matter although a
potentially expensive one (up to $10,000). I could believe a guy making or
selling this equipment might get some criminal attention I still doubt anyone
has ever gone to jail.

Jim

Apr 30, 2003, 5:08:15 PM4/30/03

> Please post a verifiable case of ANY single subscriber who was actually
> convicted in CRIMINAL court for owning a legally purchased descrambler >
uncapping a purchased modem. This is simply a civil matter although a
> potentially expensive one (up to $10,000). I could believe a guy making or
> selling this equipment might get some criminal attention I still doubt
anyone
> has ever gone to jail.

Not sure that this counts as evidence that anyone has "done time", but a 30
second search of the web found this list of actual criminal statutes in the
US and Canada:
http://911cabletheft.com/index.php?module=ContentExpress&func=display&bid=21
&btitle=Cable%20Theft&mid=10&ceid=7

Jim

da...@channel42.org

May 7, 2003, 1:19:57 PM5/7/03
On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 22:05:33 -0400, "Mike Ch." <nos...@nospam.com>
wrote:

I don't personally condone uncapping but the modem your looking for
that would allow you to do such a thing would be a Motorola Surfboard,
you can get one for under $40.00 at this place -
http://www.etherealistic.com

Clay S. Conrad

May 17, 2003, 11:06:58 AM5/17/03
gfre...@aol.comGreg (Gfretwell) wrote in message news:<20030430160927...@mb-m04.aol.com>...

> > Well, juries can be forced to follow the law, and not
> >their feelings. The typical judges instructions to the jury
> >is that they must follow the law, and not their feelings.
>
> I guess you were living in a cave when OJ got off. It's called "jury
> nullification" and it only requires that the defense present a reasonable
> doubt.

Juries cannot be forced to follow the law. They always have the
prerogative to acquit, whatever the facts and law, if they believe a
conviction would be unjust.

Whenever the defense presents the jury with a "reasonable doubt," an
acquittal is NOT jury nullification. Jury nullification only occurs
when the jury acquits, in spite of proof beyond a reasonable doubt,
because they believe the law is unjust or is being unjustly applied.
When the jury has a reasonable doubt, the law requires that they
acquit.

Clay S. Conrad
www.FIJA.org

James Knott

May 17, 2003, 6:10:54 PM5/17/03
Never anonymous Bud wrote:

> Separating himself from Baghdad Bob, weas...@aol.com (Clay S. Conrad)
> whined:

>>Juries cannot be forced to follow the law. They always have the
>>prerogative to acquit, whatever the facts and law, if they believe a
>>conviction would be unjust.
>

> But if you admit to believing that, when called as a potential juror,
> you'll never make it onto a jury.

Well, that's one way of avoiding jury duty. ;-)

--

Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

james.knott.

Warren

May 17, 2003, 6:28:17 PM5/17/03
James Knott wrote:

> Well, that's one way of avoiding jury duty. ;-)

As is saying, "I believe they deserve a fair trial before we punish
them."

James Knott

May 17, 2003, 9:44:05 PM5/17/03
Warren wrote:

> James Knott wrote:
>>
>> Well, that's one way of avoiding jury duty. ;-)
>>

> As is saying, "I believe they deserve a fair trial before we punish
> them."

I had to register once for jury duty and sent in the correctly filled in
form, just before I moved to my present address. I haven't heard from them
since. Perhaps they're looking for me at my old address. ;-)

Ramon F Herrera

May 24, 2003, 6:43:36 PM5/24/03
Can someone please provide the instructions on
how to uncap the Motorola Surfboard?

TIA,

-Ramon

Rami100735