Do all cable companies bundle wireless routers into their cable modems for both digital phone and Internet services?

Ant

Oct 5, 2014, 12:34:53 AM10/5/14
Hi.

I recently got an Arris TG1672G cable modem from Time Warner Cable (TWC)
for its recent faster Internet upgrades and having both digital phone
(eMTA) and Internet services. However, it has a wireless router built
in. I was not happy with that. The old slower Arris TM502G one didn't
have a built in router, so I used a Netgear R6300 router which was nice.

I found out that TWC didn't have any other cable modem models, with
digital phone features and without their annoying internal wireless
router. I read that these built in internal routers suck. I had to
disable the new cable modem's internal wireless and router features (no
firewall, enable bridge [no NAT], etc.).

Do these cable modems, with digital phone features, not exist these
days? I wished there was a way to buy my own cable modem with digital
phone service (no, I do not want to get two different cable modems to
coax split -- have too many splitters already to make my signals ugly).

Thank you in advance. :)
--
"A 'practical joker' deserves applause for his wit according to its
quality. Bastinado is about right. For exceptional wit one might grant

Bit Twister

Oct 5, 2014, 1:51:42 AM10/5/14
On Sat, 04 Oct 2014 21:34:53 -0700, Ant wrote:
> Hi.

> Do these cable modems, with digital phone features, not exist these
> days? I wished there was a way to buy my own cable modem with digital
> phone service (no, I do not want to get two different cable modems to
> coax split -- have too many splitters already to make my signals ugly).

1. Buy your own cable modem with the features you want that your
ISP supports. Your own modem might be cheaper than the monthly
ISP router rental cost over time. Wireless is handy for my various
remote web cams, and hooking to my neighbors fios wireless router
if my TWC is out of service.

2. Does not have to be coax connected. Connect your router of choice
between ISP modem and your lan with a Ethernet cable.

3. I spend $25 a year for a land line phone number and .007 cents a
minute for in/outbound calls.

My solution was to buy a Cisco SPA122, configure it to use my
diamondcard.us voip sip provider, jacked in my analog phone and had dial tone.

You can get the Cisco SPA100 a little cheaper.