Phone Line Network Problems

KenW

Dec 13, 2000, 11:37:01 AM12/13/00
I'm having troubles with my new phoneline network. In the network, 2 PCs
have the Diamond Multimedia Homefree PCI cards and the other has a Linksys
Homeline USB adapter. All networking hardware is HomePNA 2.0 (10mbs)
certified and I'm using Windows 98. Two PCs are located in the same room of
my basement and the other is in a second floor bedroom (3 floors in total).
The house is about 15 years and the phoneline used by the LAN was installed
about 8 years ago. I don't know how to identify the kind of cables used
although I did add some jacks using phoneline from Home Depot or Radio
Shack.

Immediately after startup, the LAN is fine then after about 15 minutes
communications between the PCs is lost. As a test I repeatedly executed the
ping command (ping -t 192.168.0.1). I experienced 0% packet loss for about
15 minutes then the loss gradually increased to about 80%. Initially, I can
see all PCs in the Network Neighborhood window but eventually all by the PC
I'm using disappear.

I have IPX/SPX, NETBEUI and TCP/IP used on the LAN. I intend to use the
network for file/printer and internet connection sharing. I seem to have no
problems using the same line for the dial-up internet access with a 56K
modem and typically get connected at 48-50 K.

Any suggestions on what I can do to correct this problem would be greatly
appreciated.

Fraser "wadie" Wade

Dec 16, 2000, 8:07:13 PM12/16/00
Sounds like the cable isnt properly shielded, thus losing more and more data
till eventually the noise is just destroying the connection.
Your best bet would be to replace the phone cabling with proper Cat5 network
cabling.
Hope that helps,
--wadie

"KenW" <kw-n...@monmouth.com> wrote in message