16 Mbps Tokenring vs. 10 Mbps Switched Ethernet

Robert Gerritsen

Jan 19, 2001, 3:03:14 AM1/19/01
Hello,

Does anybody know ik 10 Mbps Switched Etherenet is faster that 16 Mbps
Tokenring for normal network users?

Kind regards,

Robert Gerritsen

js...@dontspamme.havoc.gtf.gatech.edu

Jan 19, 2001, 6:51:11 AM1/19/01
Robert Gerritsen <RGerr...@deloitte.nl> wrote:
-> Does anybody know ik 10 Mbps Switched Etherenet is faster that 16 Mbps
-> Tokenring for normal network users?

Define faster (response time or maximum saturated throughput or average
throughput or ?).

Define normal network users (too many variations to list here).

--
John Cronin
mailto: `echo Njs...@SgtPfA.orMg | sed 's/[NOSPAM]//g'`

Daniel J McDonald

Jan 19, 2001, 9:29:26 AM1/19/01
In article <948sa2$2cb$1...@news1.xs4all.nl>,

Robert Gerritsen <RGerr...@Deloitte.nl> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Does anybody know ik 10 Mbps Switched Etherenet is faster that 16 Mbps
>Tokenring for normal network users?

Does it matter? We know that gigabit switched ethernet is faster than 16
megabit token ring, and the costs are pretty similar. We also know that
100 megabit switched ethernet is significantly cheaper than 16 megabit
token ring. We also know that just about all token ring vendors are
hanging it up, that High Speed Token Ring was an economic flop, and that
all of the technical innovation is being conducted in the Ethernet arena.

So, in this case, technology doesn't matter nearly as much as economics.
Had token passing been as simple as csma/cd to implement in silicon, there
might have been more folks making the parts, which would have brought the
price down, which would have encouraged innovation, which would have
resulted in faster, better, products, which would have resulted in
world-wide domination and an anti-trust suit from the Clinton
Administration.

--
Daniel J McDonald CCIE # 2495, CNX
dmcd...@digicontech.com