traffic bye counter statistics database

Mario

Apr 5, 2003, 3:40:31 PM4/5/03
Hello,

Can any of you tell me if there exists a software for monitoring and
storing traffic in a router or lan.

Specifically we would like a byte counter like in the cars: such as
total number of bytes sent/ received and resetable counter of
sent/receive bytes.

Then we would like a software which stores traffic data on a given
router on a kind of database for post analysis such as traffic per day,
per hour etc.

Thanks,

Mario

Walter Roberson

Apr 5, 2003, 4:25:52 PM4/5/03
In article <3E8F3F3F...@flashnet.it>, Mario <ma...@flashnet.it> wrote:
:Can any of you tell me if there exists a software for monitoring and

On the freeware side, MRTG would do much of what you describe,
except that it doesn't store the figures for long term analysis
[but it does store enough to get interesting historical perspectives.]

On the commercial side, Network Intelligence's Private I and kin
do specifically store information in a database and have several
different ways of analysing the data. PI and kin work off of syslogs,
so the approach you would take to get traffic data off of them would be
to add 'log' keywords to your ACL 'permit' statements. [Unless they
have a more direct way of reading the accounting databases; I've not
used their software against routers.]

Private I is definitely NOT freeware (it's in the thousands of US$ range
to start), but if your management is going to soon be asking for
reports such as the top 10 outgoing connections, then you may wish to
experiment with their [time-limited] trial version.
--
Whose posting was this .signature Google'd from?

Horschti

Apr 7, 2003, 9:07:47 PM4/7/03
Hi Mario,

Mario wrote:

You should have a look to http://flavio.sourceforge.net/
This tool uses netflow which is supported by Cisco routers
and stores the information into a MySQL DB.

The Multi Router Trafic Generator (MRTG) available at
http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/
does similar things but uses SNMP to retrieve the
information from the router and has no DB.

Hope this helps.

Bye, Horst
--
»When pings go wrong (It hurts me too)« E.Clapton/E.James/P.Tscharn