Help switch problem !

Nick K.

Jan 28, 2003, 1:53:55 PM1/28/03
I use a switch for my LAN (HP Pro Curve 508 8 port) after a while the switch
start to make a strange noise from inside and after a while freeze ( all
lights are flashing) and the network is not working.

I have changed it with new switch (3com office connect 8port) after a while
I have the same symptoms like the HP switch.

Can somebody help me???

Sercata

Jan 28, 2003, 8:35:23 PM1/28/03
Check your power and make sure you are not suffering sags or spikes.

/S/

"Nick K." <kyri...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Clark Kent

Jan 28, 2003, 8:43:09 PM1/28/03
Don't quote me on this because I was an app-tech, not hardware... but I
would look for faulty NIC connections. Sometimes the switches make noises
when they are connected to bad NIC cards. Just a try, sometimes looking for
the issue is like looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there,
but it's a place to start.

By the way, Pro Curve is a killer alternative to more expensive switches.
Nice choice.

KB

Double Benrand

Feb 3, 2003, 9:45:05 AM2/3/03
On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 20:53:55 +0200, "Nick K." <kyri...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

Hmmm...since it is an audible problem, it sounds like the switch is
installed in perhaps a sauna or chicken coop??

Feathers getting jammed in a fan grill will make that sound.

>Can somebody help me???

Lizard Blizzard

Feb 6, 2003, 10:24:08 AM2/6/03
Double Benrand wrote:
[snip]

> Hmmm...since it is an audible problem, it sounds like the switch is
> installed in perhaps a sauna or chicken coop??

> Feathers getting jammed in a fan grill will make that sound.

So can a lot of hours of run time on any fan. And since 3Com has been
out of the biz for several years, that switch has probably as many hours
of run time on the fan as the HP. I regularly go thru several 3Com
switches to find one that _doesn't_ have grinding fans. They're
terribly annoying, not to mention the fans die and then the switch dies
shortly afterwards.

--
----------------(from OED Mini-Dictionary)-----------------
PUNCTUATION - Apostrophe

Confusions: it's = it is or it has (not 'belonging to it'); correct
uses are ~it's here~ (= it is here); ~it's gone~ (= it has gone);
but ~the dog wagged its tail~ (no apostrophe).
----------------(For the Apostrophe challenged)----------------
From a fully deputized officer of the Apostrophe Police!

Hans Sawerschel

Mar 17, 2003, 9:47:42 PM3/17/03