Windows 2000 Networking Problem

1 view

Brooke Parker

Jan 7, 2001, 5:28:33 PM1/7/01
I've been having a problem with Windows 2000 and i'm curious if you could
help me solve it.
I have 2 computers (one on Windows 2000 Professional and the other on
Windows 98 SE) on DSL behind a Linksys BEFSR41 Router, and i'm having
problems with File & Printer Sharing. The 2 computers can see each other
perfectly, and display the shared directories of each hard drive with no
problem. However when trying to access anything below the parent directory
in the Windows 2000 computer, the Windows 98 SE machine asks for a network
password, I have tried everything I can think of and it won't accept it. The
funny thing is that the Windows 2000 machine can access the Windows 98 SE
machine with no problem once-so-ever, and it never asks for a password. I
was browsing around 2000 Pro to see if I could figure it out for myself, and
realized that I missed the Permissions function in the shared folder, so you
can obviosly block certain people of the network from accessing particular
areas of your system. I selected "Everyone" to be shared and to have Full
Access, and tried to locate the particular computer from the Workgroup (It
couldn't find the computer and only showed the local one), but still to no
avail it still asks for a password. I have looked at almost a hundred
webpages looking for this as a particular bug in Windows 2000, but have came
up with nothing.

Also, the protocols i'm using on each system are:
TCP/IP (un-binded from Client for MN and F&P sharing)
Client for Microsoft Networks
NetBEUI
File & Print Sharing for Microsoft Networks

Please help me if you can, and thanks for your time!
-Brooke
brai...@otgnorthshore.com

Rob

Jan 7, 2001, 5:52:09 PM1/7/01
Brooke: On the Windows 2000 machine, set up a user account to match the
user-id and password your using to sign-on to the Windows 98SE machine.
A Win9X/NT/2K user on machine "A" needs to be defined on machine "B"
("B" is running WinNT or Win2K) in a workgroup environment. I think
this will solve your problem (it's the same setup I have at home).

Rob

Jim Mills

Jan 7, 2001, 8:09:12 PM1/7/01
Or, enable the guest user!

"Rob" <rib...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Rob

Jan 7, 2001, 9:14:19 PM1/7/01
In article <Yq866.22897$eo5.2...@typhoon.tampabay.rr.com>, jmills6
@tampabay.rr.com says...

> Or, enable the guest user!

That's cheating and definitely un-geeky! :>)

Rob

Mark

Jan 8, 2001, 4:01:31 AM1/8/01
In article <Yq866.22897$eo5.2...@typhoon.tampabay.rr.com>, jmills6
@tampabay.rr.com says...

Never enable the GUEST account. Never even suggest it! In this day and
age when home users are using 24/7 cable modems it's NOT safe to suggest
it to them.

Mark

Remove the 999 in leyth...@columbus.rr.com to reply correctly.

Brooke Parker

Jan 8, 2001, 8:31:34 PM1/8/01
I tried this, and it still doesn't work... Any other suggestions?
-Brooke
brai...@otgnorthshore.com

Rob

Jan 8, 2001, 11:39:30 PM1/8/01
In article <93dpl2$odl$1...@news.darwin.net>, brai...@otgnorthshore.com
says...

> I tried this, and it still doesn't work... Any other suggestions?
> -Brooke
> brai...@otgnorthshore.com
1) Do you have "Client for Microsoft Networking" loaded on the Win98SE
machine?
2) Are you logging onto the Win98SE machine with "Client for Microsoft
Networking" (you should be) or "Windows Family Logon" (I don't think
this will work)
3) Are both machines in the same workgroup?

I'm doing what you're trying to do on my home network and it's working
OK. The machines have to be in the same workgroup and you have to
define the Win98 user on your Win2000 machine...and the Win98 user has
to log-in to the Win98 machine.

Rob