Allied Telesyn SFP in a Cisco switch ?

Rui Pedro Mendes Salgueiro

Mar 10, 2006, 5:44:29 AM3/10/06
Hello

Has anyone used an Allied Telesyn SFP in a Cisco switch ?
I see that SFP is a standard but I don't have experience with this
material yet. The idea was to use an Allied Telesyn AT-SPLX10 in a
Cisco 3750.

Allied Telesyn AT-SPLX10
10km, 1000BaseLX, Small Form Pluggable (SFP) Module
http://www.alliedtelesyn.com.pt/pt-pt/products/cat/product.asp?cid=0&fid=0&pid=830&area=image

Thanks in advance

--
http://www.mat.uc.pt/~rps/

.pt is Portugal| `Whom the gods love die young'-Menander (342-292 BC)
Europe | Villeneuve 50-82, Toivonen 56-86, Senna 60-94

Walter Roberson

Mar 10, 2006, 10:09:00 AM3/10/06
In article <durlad$esg$1...@koala.mat.uc.pt>,

Rui Pedro Mendes Salgueiro <r...@koala.mat.uc.pt> wrote:
>Has anyone used an Allied Telesyn SFP in a Cisco switch ?
>I see that SFP is a standard but I don't have experience with this
>material yet. The idea was to use an Allied Telesyn AT-SPLX10 in a
>Cisco 3750.

It -probably- will not work.

Although the functionality of SFPs is industry standard, each one has a
serial number in it, and if I recall correctly Cisco 3750's check the
serial numbers and only allow Cisco equipment.

Possibly the 3750 does not do this check for SFPs: the discussions
I have seen were more about GBICs... which are also supposed to be
industry standard [but aren't really].

The datasheet at the link you provided indicated that the
SFP would work with "Allied Telesyn compatible equipment".

Arnold Nipper

Mar 10, 2006, 10:29:17 AM3/10/06
On 10.03.2006 16:09 Walter Roberson wrote

According to a recent discussion on cisc...@puck.nether.net it should
be possible to use 3rd party equipment. However read
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_qanda_item09186a00801b0971.shtml
first

Use

service unsupported-transciever
no errdisable detect cause gbic-invalid

to allow 3rd party SFPs to work.

--
Arnold Nipper, AN45

Rui Pedro Mendes Salgueiro

Mar 10, 2006, 12:11:17 PM3/10/06
Arnold Nipper <arnold...@nipper.de> wrote:
> On 10.03.2006 16:09 Walter Roberson wrote

Thank you both. We decided to buy the Cisco SFP (82% more expensive than
the Allied Telesyn). Mostly because this SFP will be installed at the
other end of the connection in a switch that doesn't belong to us and
the people there might get nervous using undocumented commands, etc...

> > In article <durlad$esg$1...@koala.mat.uc.pt>,
> > Rui Pedro Mendes Salgueiro <r...@koala.mat.uc.pt> wrote:
> >>Has anyone used an Allied Telesyn SFP in a Cisco switch ?

> > Although the functionality of SFPs is industry standard, each one has a

> > serial number in it, and if I recall correctly Cisco 3750's check the
> > serial numbers and only allow Cisco equipment.

> According to a recent discussion on cisc...@puck.nether.net it should

The only relevant thing I found in that page was:

"Error Message C4K_CHASSIS-4-UNSUPPORTEDTRANSCEIVER: Unsupported
transceiver found in [char]

Explanation The transceiver was identified as an unsupported
non-Cisco transceiver."

Did you mean something else ?

On another page I found the description of the undocumented command
"service unsupported-transceiver":

http://www.elemental.net/~lf/undoc/#d0e3221

service unsupported-transceiver config IOS

Enables the use of third-party SFP or GBIC modules on Cisco switches
but note the warning below.

Example output:

Switch(config)#service unsupported-transceiver
Warning: When Cisco determines that a fault or defect can be traced to
the use of third-party transceivers installed by a customer or reseller,
then, at Cisco's discretion, Cisco may withhold support under warranty or
a Cisco support program. In the course of providing support for a Cisco
networking product Cisco may require that the end user install Cisco
transceivers if Cisco determines that removing third-party parts will
assist Cisco in diagnosing the cause of a support issue.

> Use

> service unsupported-transciever

> no errdisable detect cause gbic-invalid

You mean to use one OR the other command, right ?

> to allow 3rd party SFPs to work.

I have also seen this comment:

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:hiujBlDyTb0J:puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/2004-January/008021.html+%22no+errdisable+detect+cause+gbic-invalid%22&hl=pt-PT&gl=pt&ct=clnk&cd=3

: Several people have reported success with non Cisco SFPs purchased
: from Zycko.

I don't know if this is due to Zycko doing something to the SFPs
or simply including in the assembling instructions the command(s) above.

http://www.zycko.com/networking/home/home.asp

Sourya

Feb 16, 2015, 11:38:02 PM2/16/15
replying to Rui Pedro Mendes Salgueiro, Sourya wrote:
> rps wrote:
>

> Hello
>
> Has anyone used an Allied Telesyn SFP in a Cisco switch ?
> I see that SFP is a standard but I don\'t have experience with this
> material yet. The idea was to use an Allied Telesyn AT-SPLX10 in a
> Cisco 3750.
>
> Allied Telesyn AT-SPLX10
> 10km, 1000BaseLX, Small Form Pluggable (SFP) Module

http://www.alliedtelesyn.com.pt/pt-pt/products/cat/product.asp?cid=0&fid=0&pid=830&area=image

> Thanks in advance

* Hi friends there is a good news. Recently i was working in industrial
project & i found that Allied Telesys switches accepts dlink & netgear sfp
modules & works very good. Dlink & netgear sfp modules are 50% cost than
Allied Telesys sfp. So it is helpfull *

using Cabling-Design's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface to
comp.dcom.lans.ethernet and other telecom groups