regarding maximum cable length for 100 mbps Ethernet

prav

Jun 14, 2004, 1:05:10 AM6/14/04
Hi all,

I have a Ethernet N/W(100 Mbps) ,the total distance between an
Ethernet Transmitter and Receiver at the absolute end points of the
network should be 500 meters without any repeaters.
But what i see of the cabling standards
100BASE-TX and 100 Base-T4 support a maximum distance of 100 meters.

100 Meters is not enough for my application can anybody suggest me any
alternative where in the max distance is 500 meters.

Thanks in advance

Rgds,
prav

glen herrmannsfeldt

Jun 14, 2004, 2:25:34 AM6/14/04
prav wrote:

100baseFX should do at least 500m, maybe more.

-- glen

shope

Jun 14, 2004, 3:04:34 AM6/14/04

"prav" <pravee...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

you are mixing up how far a segment can go (which depends on the kind of
segment) and how far an ethernet collision domain can go (which is limited
by propagation delay, the minimum length packet and the data rate).

if you have 10 Base-F only, and no repeaters, then you can go 4 Km.

if you run at 100Mbps then you will need switch(es), and / or you have to
use full duplex, so there arent any collisions, since the limit at 100M is
less than 500m.

--
Regards

M.C. van den Bovenkamp

Jun 14, 2004, 5:33:40 AM6/14/04
glen herrmannsfeldt wrote:

>> 100 Meters is not enough for my application can anybody suggest me any
>> alternative where in the max distance is 500 meters.
>
> 100baseFX should do at least 500m, maybe more.

2 km, according to the spec. So that should work fine for him.

Regards,

Marco.

prav

Jun 14, 2004, 8:19:07 AM6/14/04
glen herrmannsfeldt <g...@ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote in message news:<yxbzc.87000$3x.51606@attbi_s54>...

Hi,

According to IEEE 802.3 the max segment length for 100baseFX link is
400m for half duplex .
See clause 24.1.2 of IEEE 802.3 2000 edition

Rgds,
prav

> -- glen

Rich Seifert

Jun 14, 2004, 12:16:07 PM6/14/04
In article <863df22b.04061...@posting.google.com>,
pravee...@yahoo.com (prav) wrote:

> According to IEEE 802.3 the max segment length for 100baseFX link is
> 400m for half duplex .

Correct. Therefore, use the link in *full-duplex* mode, which easily
meets your length objective.

--
Rich Seifert Networks and Communications Consulting
21885 Bear Creek Way

Send replies to: usenet at richseifert dot com

Buzz Lightbeer

Jun 14, 2004, 12:56:47 PM6/14/04
"prav" <pravee...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

You considered 10base5 ? :o)

BL
--
As the days go by, we face the increasing inevitability that we are alone in
a godless, uninhabited, hostile and meaningless universe. Still, you've got

glen herrmannsfeldt

Jun 14, 2004, 9:12:50 PM6/14/04
Buzz Lightbeer wrote:

> "prav" <pravee...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>I have a Ethernet N/W(100 Mbps) ,the total distance between an

>>Ethernet Transmitter and Receiver at the absolute end points of the
>>network should be 500 meters without any repeaters.

(snip)

> You considered 10base5 ? :o)

The OP asked for 100Mbps.

-- glen

prav

Jun 15, 2004, 3:25:53 AM6/15/04
I want it on a copper link not fiber link.
Rgds,
prav

williamp.n.smith

Jun 15, 2004, 9:03:52 AM6/15/04
pravee...@yahoo.com (prav) wrote:
> I want it on a copper link not fiber link.

You can't get 500M 100BaseT Ethernet over copper. It's either got to
be some DSL conversion, fiber, wireless, or something else.

--
William Smith

Robert Redelmeier

Jun 15, 2004, 10:45:10 AM6/15/04
prav <pravee...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I want it on a copper link not fiber link.

500m sounds like between different buildings (ground stakes).
You'd best go fiber for the lightening protection. Otherwise,
look for 10base5 coax.

If you still insist on 100 Mbit/s, you'll have to look to
proprietary vendors (BlackBox?). AFAIK, there is no copper
standard that does 100 Mbit/s over 500m.

Do not expect to run 100baseTX over 500m. I've never heard of
anyone running it that far (100m spec, ~170m max reported working).
Running any copper data between buildings is asking for trouble.
If you're lucky, only burnt out ports and cards.

-- Robert

jpd

Jun 15, 2004, 10:52:07 AM6/15/04
On 2004-06-15, glen herrmannsfeldt <g...@ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
[snipfest]

>> You considered 10base5 ? :o)
>
> The OP asked for 100Mbps.

Well, uhm, 100base5, then? ;-)

But seriously, between stretching the time-space continuum (so you can
get away with 10 metres of cat5 to do 100BaseTX on) and going fibre, I
think OP is out of options. Or maybe he could invent 100baseT4-stretch
that'll go up to 1000M on cat7, or something like that.

You can always attach empty cans and shout in them.

glen herrmannsfeldt

Jun 15, 2004, 11:55:12 PM6/15/04
jpd wrote:
(snip)

> But seriously, between stretching the time-space continuum (so you can
> get away with 10 metres of cat5 to do 100BaseTX on) and going fibre, I
> think OP is out of options. Or maybe he could invent 100baseT4-stretch
> that'll go up to 1000M on cat7, or something like that.

Somewhere on ieee.org I saw something about a 100Mb/s system
using the same signaling as 1000baseT. It has reduces RFI
emission, and also longer distance range, though I don't remember
that it would reach 500m.

I asked about it here, and it seemed that even Rich Seifert
didn't know about it, so I wouldn't expect it to be available
anytime soon. It does seem an interesting idea, though.

There have been suggestions along the line of running
802.11g through coax, with the proper attenuators if needed.
I don't know that anyone has tried it.

With the right transformers it might be possible to run
100baseTX through two coaxial cables. One might even arrange
the proper isolation for ground differences. (Ground the
shield at one end, run the other end into a thick walled
plastic box, through repeaters with a well isolated power
supply, and then out to normal termination. Best would be to
run fiber through that short link. I could imagine it, I doubt
anyone would ever build it.

Fiber is really the best solution. The cable doesn't cost
much more, the connectors do, but averaged over the length of
the cable it isn't that much more.

-- glen

prav

Jun 16, 2004, 5:28:33 AM6/16/04
William P.N. Smith wrote in message news:<m7stc0pcku4mv7ugm...@4ax.com>...

> pravee...@yahoo.com (prav) wrote:
> > I want it on a copper link not fiber link.
>
> You can't get 500M 100BaseT Ethernet over copper. It's either got to
> be some DSL conversion, fiber, wireless, or something else.

Hi smith,

What is DSL conversion???

Rgds,
prav

Lucas Tam

Jun 16, 2004, 9:45:27 AM6/16/04
pravee...@yahoo.com (prav) wrote in

> What is DSL conversion???

Basically using DSL technology (VDSL/SDSL/etc) to transmit data over your
local network. This is similar to the technology used by ISPs to provide
broadband to consumers - however you're running it over your own lines (so
they're usually no monthly fee). However, with DSL you're limited to about
5 - 8 mbits.

http://catalog.blackbox.com/BlackBox/templates/blackbox/itemgroup3398guest.
asp?param=385&ig_id=3398&title=2%2DWire+iDSL+Line+Drivers&related=

--
Lucas Tam (REMOV...@rogers.com)

Buzz Lightbeer

Jun 16, 2004, 7:30:06 PM6/16/04
"Lucas Tam" <REMOV...@rogers.com> wrote in message

> pravee...@yahoo.com (prav) wrote in
>
> > What is DSL conversion???
>
> Basically using DSL technology (VDSL/SDSL/etc) to transmit data over your
> local network. This is similar to the technology used by ISPs to provide
> broadband to consumers - however you're running it over your own lines (so
> they're usually no monthly fee). However, with DSL you're limited to about
> 5 - 8 mbits.

Cisco call this approach Long Reach Ethernet. Speed is cable length
dependant, typically <15Mbps, but as it's designed to run over cat3 you
might get an improvement on this using cat5 or better.

If you are looking for inter-building connetivity and don't want to go down
the fibre route then some line of sight device (laser based), may be an
option.

BL
--
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other
bastard die for his." - General George S. Patton

nicksha...@gmail.com

Jul 16, 2014, 11:02:12 AM7/16/14
在 2004年6月14日星期一UTC+8下午1时05分10秒,prav写道:
Hi prav ,

it seems HDBaseT technology can do 500 meters .

Nick

Stephen

Jul 26, 2014, 6:02:48 PM7/26/14
On Wed, 16 Jul 2014 08:02:12 -0700 (PDT), nicksha...@gmail.com
wrote:

>? 2004?6?14????UTC+8??1?05?10??prav???
Back in real life you have 2 options.

1 - add intermediate repeaters so that each "hop" is 100m max

2 - use fibre

At 100 Mbps multimode or single mode fibre is good for a few Km.

If you might want to use gigE at some point you should install single
mode fibre (multimode will handle 550 m, but you requires various
constraints and single mode interfaces).

Real life is "500m" often means more in practice, so you should allow
for awkward cable routes etc.

If speed isnt an issue then the original 10 Mbps half duplex Ethernet
thick co-ax can handle 500m
- but good luck finding the obsolete transcievers and associated bits.
Stephen Hope stephe...@xyzworld.com
Replace xyz with ntl to reply

glen herrmannsfeldt

Jul 26, 2014, 7:33:13 PM7/26/14
nicksha...@gmail.com wrote:

(snip, someone wrote)
>> I have a Ethernet N/W(100 Mbps) ,the total distance between an
>> Ethernet Transmitter and Receiver at the absolute end points of the
>> network should be 500 meters without any repeaters.
>> But what i see of the cabling standards
>> 100BASE-TX and 100 Base-T4 support a maximum distance of 100 meters.

(snip)

> it seems HDBaseT technology can do 500 meters .

I think fiber is the best choice, but MOCA might also do it:

http://www.mocalliance.org/marketing/

I am not sure how far it can go on a single cable link, but it should be
pretty far. It is supposed to work through splitters and such, even in
the direction that the splitter isn't supposed to work.

-- glen