Google Группы больше не поддерживают новые публикации и подписки в сети Usenet. Опубликованный ранее контент останется доступен.

How does Allied Telesis CentreCOM TM AT-210T and AT-210TS Micro Transceiver work

256 просмотров

Harold A Climer

не прочитано,
1 дек. 2010 г., 21:31:2201.12.2010
I recently bought a big box of surplus computer
parts at our universities surplus auction for $10.00.
It consisted mostly of sound cards and video cards, a couple of
external modems, mice,keyboards, etc that had been upgraded to fancier
models; about thirty items in total.
( I have a friend in the IT department that did a lot of the upgrading
so I know generally where they came from) As well as the things
mentioned above I got three Allied Telesis CentreCOM AT-210TS Micro
Transceivers.
I know they are Ethernet Transceivers , but how do they work?
I am familiar with the twisted pair connector at one end but I have
never seen a 15 pin D connector that is on the other end.
I got a copy of the owners manual and it says it a DTE connector.
This means an RS-232 connector to me, but as I said I have never heard
of a 15 pin RS-232 connector before.
Harold A Climer
Department Of Physics,Geology & Astronomy
U.T Chattannnoga
Room 223 Grote Hall
615 McCallie Ave.
Chattanooga TN 37493

glen herrmannsfeldt

не прочитано,
1 дек. 2010 г., 21:43:4301.12.2010
Harold A Climer <Harold...@utc.edu> wrote:

> I know they are Ethernet Transceivers , but how do they work?
> I am familiar with the twisted pair connector at one end but I have
> never seen a 15 pin D connector that is on the other end.
> I got a copy of the owners manual and it says it a DTE connector.

It is the ethernet connector you will find on older computers.

It is from the 10 megabit days, so you won't find it on newer
machines, which means newer than about 10 years ago by now.

For PC-type machines, with ISA, PCI, microchannel, etc., bus,
it is usually easier to replace the card if it has one, but for
machines like Sun, Silicon Graphics, IBM RT-PC, MicroVAX, it
might have built-in ethernet with AUI connector (the DTE tells
which end), and often also BNC connector. With the transceiver
on the AUI port you can connect it to a UTP ethernet network.

-- glen

Harold A Climer

не прочитано,
1 дек. 2010 г., 21:57:4001.12.2010

So I guessing that it was not really designed for a "Regular" PC?
More for work stations?
I have had a quite few "IBM type"computers since the early 90's and
have never seen a 15 pin serial port.
In the owners manual is says "The AT-210T or AT-210TS connects
directly to a DTE or workstation AUI connector".
Am I mistaken in thinking that DTE means RS-232?

Reed

не прочитано,
1 дек. 2010 г., 21:57:2301.12.2010

> I know they are Ethernet Transceivers , but how do they work?

Also called MAUs, some info here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium_Attachment_Unit

> I got a copy of the owners manual and it says it a DTE connector.
> This means an RS-232 connector to me, but as I said I have never heard
> of a 15 pin RS-232 connector before.

Not all DTE's are RS-232 ( see V.35, RS-422, etc)

Also nearly all older PC serial ports were 15 pin RS-232

Reed

не прочитано,
1 дек. 2010 г., 22:45:5501.12.2010

> So I guessing that it was not really designed for a "Regular" PC?
> More for work stations?

"regular" PC's would have an Ethernet "NIC" added, like these

http://support.3com.com/infodeli/tools/nic/3c509b/docs/ugb/ch1.htm

> I have had a quite few "IBM type"computers since the early 90's and
> have never seen a 15 pin serial port.

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_port

Jerry Peters

не прочитано,
2 дек. 2010 г., 16:44:1502.12.2010

Yes. It's AUI attachment Unit Interface, an antique form of connection
for 10mb ethernet. Goes back to the days of the 1/2" diameter,
bright yellow coax ethernet (10base-5 IIRC).

Jerry

Rich Seifert

не прочитано,
7 дек. 2010 г., 13:45:1207.12.2010
On Dec 1, 6:57 pm, Harold A Climer <Harold-Cli...@utc.edu> wrote:
> In the owners manual is says "The AT-210T or AT-210TS connects
> directly to a DTE or workstation AUI connector".
> Am I mistaken in thinking that DTE means RS-232?

Yes, you are mistaken. DTE just means the "terminal/user" end (Data
Terminal Equipment) of a terminal-to-communications-device connection.
The other end is the DCE (Data Communications Equipment). DTE/DCE
pairs can be RS-232, V.35, etc. What you have is an Ethernet AUI DTE/
DCE pair, which was the original, circa 1980-1990 method of connecting
a network device (the DTE) to an Ethernet transceiver (the DCE). This
interface operates only at 10 Mb/s, and is documented in both the
original DEC-Intel-Xerox Ethernet Specification, and the IEEE 802.3
standard for 10 Mb/s operation (both of which I co-authored).

--
Rich Seifert Networks and Communications Consulting
21885 Bear Creek Way

Send replies to: usenet at richseifert dot com

Bill Taylor

не прочитано,
22 июн. 2018 г., 08:38:0322.06.2018
replying to Harold A Climer, Bill Taylor wrote:
How much do you want for them?

using Cabling-Design's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface to
comp.dcom.lans.ethernet and other telecom groups

0 новых сообщений