Better things to say about Delrina/WinFax Pro 3.0

Peter Rukavina

Jun 11, 1993, 1:04:58 PM6/11/93
Earlier this week I posted a message regarding my frustrations using
WinFax Pro 3.0 and in getting through to Tech Support at Delrina; I gave
instructions as to how users could order the patch recently released by
Delrina for the program by calling their Sales Line and tricking their
voice mail system into accepting the call.

I had been having problems running WinFax Pro on an IBM/PS1, both
connection problems (where a fax looks like it's being sent, but return
an error and then sends again with no problems) and problems with
importing phonebook records from dBASE, making a phonebook group and
trying to broadcast to that group (I got an "error locating group
record" message). I was frustrated that whenever I tried to call
Delrina about these problems I either got a busy signal or got put on
hold. I was also frustrated because I didn't want to have to bear the
cost of downloading the patch (which may fix my problems -- who knows)
from Toronto (at approx. $.50/minute for 50 minutes @ 2400 baud).

Well, today someone from Delrina called me at work; he said that their
Sales Line had been inundated with calls for the patch and implied that
they were none too happy about this. Their staff had been monitoring
this newsgroup and he was contacting me, as 'instigator' of the problem,
to see what was up.

So I told him. And he has promised to fax me possible solutions to my
problems. And he gave me his direct phone number (which I won't, as a
courtesy, post here) if I run into further problems. He suggested the
most effective way to get in touch with Delrina is to send them a fax;
they usually respond within a day. He was very nice.

In the interim, someone else from Delrina contacted me in reponse to a
query I had written to their CompuServe account looking for the patch;
they were quite nice and made arrangements to have the patch mailed to
me as well (and offer I accepted, thinking that maybe I would never see
the patch I'd requested over the phone :-)).

So, I don't have my problems fixed yet, but at least I've talked to
someone about them. Cudos to Delrina staff for monitoring this
newsgroup and responding to me directly (I hope they follow up on all
such problems, not just ones that cause them phone-grief); perhaps now
is the time for some input directly to this newsgroup from Delrina?
There still remains the fact that contacting Delrina by phone seems next
to impossible and/or very expensive; I hope they're taking steps to deal
with this too.

Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with Delrina other than being a
[formerly disgruntled, now somewhat placated] owner of their WinFax
Pro software.

Richard Warner

Jun 14, 1993, 10:26:02 AM6/14/93
capr...@atlas.cs.upei.ca (Peter Rukavina) writes:

>So, I don't have my problems fixed yet, but at least I've talked to
>someone about them. Cudos to Delrina staff for monitoring this
>newsgroup and responding to me directly (I hope they follow up on all
>such problems, not just ones that cause them phone-grief); perhaps now
>is the time for some input directly to this newsgroup from Delrina?

Actually, someone from Delrina has posted a few messages here in the past
week, but he has not identified himself as being with Delrina Tech
Support. I recognize his name due to my dealings with him on the
Delrina Forum on CompuServe. I will let him identify himself when he
is ready :) [ Actually, I think I was the one that told him I was
surprised that Delrina did *not* regularly monitor this group - this at
the time a couple of months ago when 75% of the messages were WFxPro
problems. ]

Rob Freyder

Jun 17, 1993, 8:19:17 AM6/17/93

>Earlier this week I posted a message regarding my frustrations using
>WinFax Pro 3.0 and in getting through to Tech Support at Delrina; I gave
>instructions as to how users could order the patch recently released by
>Delrina for the program by calling their Sales Line and tricking their
>voice mail system into accepting the call.

[. STUFF DELETED .]

>hold. I was also frustrated because I didn't want to have to bear the
>cost of downloading the patch (which may fix my problems -- who knows)
>from Toronto (at approx. $.50/minute for 50 minutes @ 2400 baud).

They have a V.32bis modem on the line I called. wfx304.zip is 432491 bytes
for those who are interested. It includes there version of comm.drv for
those with a 16550A buffered UART.

Rob.
--
Rob Freyder Western Atlas Software
____ ____ ____ Western Atlas International Inc.

fli...@eagle.wesleyan.edu

Jun 17, 1993, 6:14:37 PM6/17/93
In article <freyder.740319557@westech>, fre...@was.waii.com (Rob Freyder) writes:
> [ Delrina ] ... have a V.32bis modem on the line I called.
Sorry ... but what was the number of the line you called? -- Fred

Fred E.J. Linton Wesleyan U. Math. Dept. 649 Sci. Tower Middletown, CT 06459
E-mail: <FLI...@eagle.Wesleyan.EDU> ( or <fejlinton@{att|mci}mail.com> )
Tel.: + 1 203 776 2210 (home) or + 1 203 347 9411 x2249 (work)

Vacation Account

Jun 18, 1993, 12:49:06 PM6/18/93
Rob Freyder (fre...@was.waii.com) wrote:

: [. STUFF DELETED .]