ACM opens first 50 years backfile

Nicola

Jun 12, 2022, 4:54:58 PM6/12/22
Apparently, ACM has made all its articles from 1951 to 2000 freely
available:

https://www.acm.org/media-center/2022/april/50-years-backfile

That includes database journals such as SIGMOD. Personally, I have
finally found the original 1975's ANSI/X3/SPARC Interim Report, which
I have long been looking for:

https://dl.acm.org/toc/sigmod/1975/7/2

(click on "Front matter" to download it). But there are several other
articles of historical interest, starting with those cited by Codd's in
his 1970's landmark paper:

A Computer System for Inference Execution and Data Retrieval
https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/363790.363817

Treating hierarchical data structures in the SDC Time-Shared Data
Management System (TDMS)
https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/800196.805973

But also:

Description of a Set-Theoretic Data Structure (1968)
https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/1476589.1476663

A General Purpose Programming System for Random Access Memories
(IDS, Bachman, 1964)
https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/1464052.1464088

RECOL-A Retrieval Command Language (1963)
https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/366274.366342

Information Structures for Processing and Retrieving (1962)
[A forerunner of B-trees]
https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/366243.366715

Back to McGee's report on generalized processing:

Generalization: Key to Successful Electronic Data Processing (1959)
https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/320954.320955

I don't know how many of them were already openly available, as I was
accessing ACM from my academic account, but now they are!

Nicola