laugh of the day

paul c

Jun 5, 2009, 3:37:50 PM6/5/09
Speaking of illiteracy, here's a quote of a quote that's funnier than
anything I could come up with. It's from Date's latest about sql and
relational theory at google books. I'd say whoever wrote it manages to
offend SQL lovers, relational theorists and grade-school
English-as-a-first-language teachers (if any of the latter remain) all
at once. Who would have thought those groups could ever agree on anything:

"Don't use joins ... Oracle and SQL Server have fundamentally different
approaches to the concept ... You can end up with unexpected result sets
... You should understand the basic types of join clauses ... Equi-joins
are formed by retrieving all the data from two separate sources and
combining it into one, large table... Inner joins are joined on the
inner columns of two tables. Outer joins are joined on the outer
columns of two tables. Left joins are joined on the left columns of two
tables. Right joins are joined on the right columns of two tables."

cim...@hotmail.com

Jun 8, 2009, 3:44:23 PM6/8/09
As a second joke of the week...Here is a decent attempt at
incorporation of database design as a part of the gaming industry...A
sign of our time...I do not know if I should laugh or cry...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpDyUAHuSLI&feature=related

Gene Wirchenko

Jun 8, 2009, 5:21:07 PM6/8/09
cim...@hotmail.com wrote:

>As a second joke of the week...Here is a decent attempt at

Actually, it is a new week now, so you get first joke of the
week.

>incorporation of database design as a part of the gaming industry...A
>sign of our time...I do not know if I should laugh or cry...
>
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpDyUAHuSLI&feature=related

I was going to advise "cry", but now, I am not sure either.
Pretty graphics and music, but not terribly informative.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Computerese Irregular Verb Conjugation:
I have preferences.
You have biases.
He/She has prejudices.

cim...@hotmail.com

Jun 9, 2009, 4:26:10 AM6/9/09
On 8 juin, 23:21, Gene Wirchenko <ge...@ocis.net> wrote:
> cim...@hotmail.com wrote:
> >As a second joke of the week...Here is a decent attempt at
>
>      Actually, it is a new week now, so you get first joke of the
> week.
>
> >incorporation of database design as a part of the gaming industry...A
> >sign of our time...I do not know if I should laugh or cry...
>
> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpDyUAHuSLI&feature=related
>
>      I was going to advise "cry", but now, I am not sure either.
> Pretty graphics and music, but not terribly informative.
I did feel the same...Thought it is a significant sign of our
time...When the challenge of design itself becomes a matter of how one
actually visually represents relations, while ignoring logic,
everything becomes a blurry, entertaining though, cocktail of where
database industry is at the moment.

Roy Hann

Jun 10, 2009, 11:35:28 AM6/10/09
cim...@hotmail.com wrote:

I didn't see the first joke so stop me if you've heard this one.

An SQL query goes into a bar and sees two tables in the corner. So it
goes over and says, "Mind if I join you?"

--
Roy

Walter Mitty

Jun 10, 2009, 12:19:02 PM6/10/09
A traveler stops in at a general store in Vermont to ask for directions.
"How do I get to Redbud?"

The response was, "Well, if I were going to Redbud, I certainly wouldn't
start from here!"

(from the movie "Funny Farm")