What are the differences between DBLib and CTLib

Imran Hussain

Sep 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/27/99
Hello,
Can anyone tell me what are the differences between CTLib and DBLib. I
read in a KB article on Sybase site that recommended using CTLib.
However, I could not find any other document that would show the
differences in detail.

I am using Adaptive Server 11.5

Thanks,
Imran.
Imran Hussain
imr...@imranweb.com

For FREE Software visit
http://www.imranweb.com/freesoft

Michael Peppler

Sep 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/27/99
Imran Hussain wrote:

> Hello,
> Can anyone tell me what are the differences between CTLib and DBLib. I
> read in a KB article on Sybase site that recommended using CTLib.
> However, I could not find any other document that would show the
> differences in detail.

Take a look at:

http://sybooks.sybase.com:80/onlinebooks/group-cn/cng1110e/ctlibmig/@Generic__BookView

Michael
--
Michael Peppler -||- Data Migrations Inc.
mpep...@peppler.org -||- http://www.mbay.net/~mpeppler

Thierry Antinolfi

Sep 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/28/99
Hi Imran

The only thing I know is that CT-Library will not be supported in a next
version of Sybase and will be replace by CT-Library.

A major difference :
DB-Library : DBPROCEES and LOGINREC structure
CT-Library : CS_CONTEXT, CS_CONNECTION, CS_CMD structure.

The two function dbreadpage() and dbwritepage() aren't supported by
CT-Libray !!

If you may developp, use the CT-Library.
Regards,

Thierry ANTINOLFI
Free Technicals FAQ and Tools for ASE and Replication Server under NT:
http://pro.wanadoo.fr/dbadevil

Imran Hussain <imr...@imranweb.com> a écrit dans le message :
37EFB24F...@imranweb.com...

> Hello,
> Can anyone tell me what are the differences between CTLib and DBLib. I
> read in a KB article on Sybase site that recommended using CTLib.
> However, I could not find any other document that would show the
> differences in detail.

Michael Zarlenga

Sep 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/28/99
Imran Hussain <imr...@imranweb.com> wrote:
: Hello,

: Can anyone tell me what are the differences between CTLib and DBLib. I
: read in a KB article on Sybase site that recommended using CTLib.
: However, I could not find any other document that would show the
: differences in detail.

DBLib is old, CTLib is new.

DBLib uses one kind of connection structure, CTLib uses
another. DBLib will be phased out sometime in the future,
CTlib *is* the future.

If you're writing code that will be around for years, and
you want it to work well into the future, use CTlib.

The way CTLib functions (especially with return data from
the server) is a bit more complicated and cumbersome to use,
but it's not that bad once you get used to it.

If I were you, I'd use CTLib for all new code, if I could.

--
-- Mike Zarlenga

Imran Hussain

Sep 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/30/99