Sybase Book Recommendation

1 view

Naran Hirani

Nov 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/23/98

Can any body please recommend a good sybase data administration book for

an aspiring DBA to fine tune his skills please.

Recommendation for any other DBA book would also be most welcome.

Many thanks,

Naran Hirani

101

Nov 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/23/98
I swear by Sybase Sqlserver 11 DBA Survival Guide by SAMs Publishing ISBN no
: 0-672-30888-6, £47.00

It's at the Accomplished to Expert Level

Andreas Gscheidle

Nov 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/23/98
Yes indeed,
a realy great book. I also swear on it.

weed...@my-dejanews.com

Nov 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/24/98
In article <365965C1...@hgmp.mrc.ac.uk>,

Naran Hirani <N.Hi...@hgmp.mrc.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can any body please recommend a good sybase data administration book for
>
> an aspiring DBA to fine tune his skills please.
>
> Recommendation for any other DBA book would also be most welcome.

I think that John Kirkwood's books are great. His system 11 book (An
Administrator's Guide ISBN: 1-85032-287-2) gives a good understanding of
both DBA bits and the underlying architecture. He is also author of a good
book for "Designing and Troubleshooting for High Performance"
ISBN:1-85032-334-8.

What was that John, say it slower so that I can type it in, your new book is
called... :-) :-)

--
David Owen 7, Stradbrooke Rise SW, Calgary, AB, Canada
spamfre...@cadvision.com

Alexy Timonin

Nov 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/24/98
I think that Sybase SQL Server 11 Unleashed by SAMS Publishing is extremely
useful book for anyone who use Sybase RDBMS. You could find info about the
book on many book's shops sites, for example in
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0672309092/qid%3D911924250/002-518750
4-6925226 .

Also it's a good idea to search in www.amazon.com the books about Sybase,
because in most cases you could read annotation and reader's opinions on the
site.

It's pity, but there are no any books about Sybase Adaptive Server versions
11.5 and higher. You could find a lot of books about MS SQL Server 7, Oracle
8, etc., but there is nothing regarding latest Sybase versions. Anyway, the
Sybase SQL Server 11 Unleashed is still very useful, even if you use ASE
11.5 or ASE 11.9.2.

With best regards
Alexy

Naran Hirani <365965C1...@hgmp.mrc.ac.uk> ...

>Hi,
>
>Can any body please recommend a good sybase data administration book for
>
>an aspiring DBA to fine tune his skills please.
>
>Recommendation for any other DBA book would also be most welcome.
>

>Many thanks,
>
>Naran Hirani

Rustom Vachha

Nov 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/25/98