Database reverse engineering

Oleg I.Ivanov

Nov 12, 2004, 12:39:23 PM11/12/04

Excuse me for a possible offtopic,

but can anybody help me to understand why Sybase Power Designer 10.1 does not understand serials and inheritance when reverse engineer Postgres database from script.

Is it possible to teach PowerDesigner to reverse engineer correctly ?

Or can anybody recommend me right tool which works correcty?

Thank you,

Oleg

Andreas Pflug

Nov 12, 2004, 1:16:32 PM11/12/04
Oleg I.Ivanov wrote:
> Excuse me for a possible offtopic,
>
> but can anybody help me to understand why Sybase Power Designer 10.1
> does not understand serials and inheritance when reverse engineer
> Postgres database from script.

Serial is no datatype, but an int4 with a default. I don't know if the
default is reverse engineered correctly, I'd recommend to change it
manually to "serial".

> Is it possible to teach PowerDesigner to reverse engineer correctly ?

Probably not. pgAdmin has special treatment for int4/default to detect a
serial; PD as cross platform tool is not smart enough.
Similar about inheritance; I don't even know a way how to design this in
PD (in PD 8.0, I doubt 10.x is better).

> Or can anybody recommend me right tool which works correcty?

You could try ERwin, but I doubt you will be luckier there.

Regards,
Andreas

joining column's datatypes do not match

Simon Riggs

Nov 15, 2004, 11:01:27 AM11/15/04
On Fri, 2004-11-12 at 18:16, Andreas Pflug wrote:

> Oleg I.Ivanov wrote:
> > Or can anybody recommend me right tool which works correcty?
>
> You could try ERwin, but I doubt you will be luckier there.

Hmmm...been fighting with the ERwin/PostgreSQL combination, though it
works well with other databases.

Case Studio looks like it has better support, but I've not had the
opportunity yet to try it yet.
http://www.casestudio.com/enu/databases.aspx

--
Best Regards, Simon Riggs

Robert Treat

Nov 15, 2004, 10:15:27 PM11/15/04
On Monday 15 November 2004 11:01, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-11-12 at 18:16, Andreas Pflug wrote:
> > Oleg I.Ivanov wrote:
> > > Or can anybody recommend me right tool which works correcty?
> >
> > You could try ERwin, but I doubt you will be luckier there.
>
> Hmmm...been fighting with the ERwin/PostgreSQL combination, though it
> works well with other databases.
>
> Case Studio looks like it has better support, but I've not had the
> opportunity yet to try it yet.
> http://www.casestudio.com/enu/databases.aspx

I did the Erwin/PostgreSQL dance for awhile when I first started with my
present employer as they already had a license. In order to get it to work I
would have had to write a set of perl scripts to massage the output, so I
ditched it instead for Case Studio and haven't looked back. It's not perfect
but it is plenty good for even complex schemas; enough so that really my only
gripe is that it doesn't run on *nix :-(

--
Robert Treat

http://archives.postgresql.org

Oleg I.Ivanov