Problem with messages using Forms 6i

Thomas Mitchell

Dec 3, 2002, 3:53:34 AM12/3/02

I'm using Oracle's Forms Developer 6i for developing an application on
SunOS.

I have the following problem: After I have just startet the application, no
messages or hints are displayed. Even error-messages are not shown. After I
have activated the one or other form, then, if I'm lucky, messages start
displaying normaly. I have no idea what the problem is. Can someone relate
to this problem? Thanks in advance,

Thomas Mitchell

Jan Schaefer

Dec 3, 2002, 4:46:02 AM12/3/02

Two thoughts that come to my mind:

1.) Messages are displayed in the status bar on the lower left. They are
only shown as message boxes when two messages appear in one trigger. Use
show_alert instead.

2.) Sometimes other status messages override your messages (e.g. when
you have specified a hint for a menu entry in the property palette).

Hope that helps.

Jan

Thomas Mitchell

Dec 3, 2002, 5:17:21 AM12/3/02
Jan Schaefer <jan.sc...@kksl.uni-leipzig.de> wrote in

> Thomas Mitchell wrote:
>> I'm using Oracle's Forms Developer 6i for developing an application
>> on SunOS.
>>
>> I have the following problem: After I have just startet the
>> application, no messages or hints are displayed. Even error-messages
>> are not shown. After I have activated the one or other form, then, if
>> I'm lucky, messages start displaying normaly. I have no idea what the
>> problem is. Can someone relate to this problem? Thanks in advance,
>
> Two thoughts that come to my mind:
>
> 1.) Messages are displayed in the status bar on the lower left. They
> are only shown as message boxes when two messages appear in one
> trigger. Use show_alert instead.

Those are the kind of messages I'm trying to create, messages in the
status bar, but they just don't show up.

> 2.) Sometimes other status messages override your messages (e.g. when
> you have specified a hint for a menu entry in the property palette).
>
> Hope that helps.

That's why I have even used the parameter ACKNOWLEDGE, but still messages
won't appear. On Windows they do, just on SunOS they don't.

> Jan

Thanks anyway.

dmz17

Dec 3, 2002, 6:44:32 AM12/3/02

I apologize if I am totally and wackily out of line, but if this
is a Java based form, you'll be using Swing. Try to force an update
to the panel. I have seen this too many times.

However, I know nothing about Forms as such.

Cheers,

dmz17

Thomas Mitchell

Dec 3, 2002, 7:40:14 AM12/3/02
"dmz17" <dm...@nospam.nowhere.com> wrote in

I wish it were Java, but it's really Forms itself...

Thanks anyway.

Scott Mattes

Dec 3, 2002, 9:02:13 AM12/3/02
Try setting your msglevel to 20 or less.

"Thomas Mitchell" <thomas....@alcatel.de> wrote in message

Thomas Mitchell

Dec 3, 2002, 9:59:52 AM12/3/02
"Scott Mattes" <Sc...@TheMattesFamily.ws> wrote in

> Try setting your msglevel to 20 or less.

Tried that as well... Doesn't work!

Rolf Limbach

Dec 3, 2002, 1:51:15 PM12/3/02

message ('Test');synchronized;
or
message ('Test');message(' ');synchronized;
* = blank !!

Rolf