Firefox users only: Metalink search from the toolbar

mattypenny

Dec 10, 2004, 11:24:22 AM12/10/04
Hi,

I've posted this on ORACLE-L - apologies if you're seeing it twice.

I've written a search plugin for Firefox to allow you to search
Metalink from the toolbar. I know zilch about html, but it does seem to
work.

The relatively cool thing about this is that you can type your search
string into the toolbar, and search on Metalink, then repeat the search
on, say, Google without having to cut and paste the text you are
searching on. I did say *relatively* cool!

If you're not already logged into Metalink it will prompt you for
username and password.

You have to save the code below into a file called Metalink.src in
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\searchplugins (or your equivalent).

I've got this saved into a .src file, along with a .gif and a version
that searches through the Metalink Notes only - mail me direct if you'd
prefer me to mail them as attachments

I've mailed the code up to mozdev.org, but it hasn't yet been posted.
Apparently they've got a bit of a backlog - I guess they're fairly busy
what with launching a whole new browser and stuff...

Please mail me direct to let me know if you have any problems, or to
let me know if you find it useful.

Finally, my code below searched the UK version of Metalink. I haven't
tried it yet but to get it to search the US vesrion you replace the
action and searchForm lines with:

action="http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_gui.handleSearchRequest"

searchForm="http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_gui.queryform"

(Thanks to Rich Jesse)