rman backup should be smaller than the database ????

瀏覽次數:19 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

newhorizon

未讀,
2007年11月14日 上午10:22:272007/11/14
收件者:
I am using RMAN backup.

When I get the hot RMAN backup using the following commands.

BACKUP DATABASE PLUS ARCHIVELOG;
BACKUP CURRENT CONTROLFILE;

I was expecting to see that the rman backup would be smaller since it
is copying the used blocks for the database. Should I shrink the
tables before the backup ?

fitzj...@cox.net

未讀,
2007年11月14日 上午10:36:522007/11/14
收件者:

You've neglected to consider that you're adding the archivelogs to the
mix; a BACKUP DATABASE should likely be smaller than the actual
database, but adding in the archivelogs expands that size
considerably.

David Fitzjarrell

Jerome Vitalis

未讀,
2007年11月14日 上午10:40:522007/11/14
收件者:
fitzj...@cox.net wrote:

>...but adding in the archivelogs expands that size
> considerably.

.. especially if there are lots of archived logs to backup *before* the
database backup.
-----
échangez opinions et commentaires dans les forums de discussion.
http://www.usenetgratuit.com/

newhorizon

未讀,
2007年11月14日 上午11:33:132007/11/14
收件者:
I am glad put the command for the rman backup.

I really appreciate the comments on adding the achivelog in the
backupset.

What are your thoughts about shrinking the tables before the backup ?

fitzj...@cox.net

未讀,
2007年11月14日 下午3:34:422007/11/14
收件者:

I can't see that such an act would benefit you in terms of the backup
size. A shrink will only take away unused space (that above the HWM),
not free space located below the high water mark, so you might save a
few blocks of space per table, but it likely won't be appreciable.

I can't recommend it, but others may have differing opinions.

David Fitzjarrell

sybr...@hccnet.nl

未讀,
2007年11月14日 下午3:43:472007/11/14
收件者:
On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 08:33:13 -0800, newhorizon <mehme...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Why?
If you don't have the space to back-up buy disks.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA

NetComrade

未讀,
2007年11月14日 下午3:44:382007/11/14
收件者:
On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 07:22:27 -0800, newhorizon <mehme...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Use compression in 10g
We run Oracle 9iR2,10gR1/2 on RH4/RH3 and Solaris 10 (Sparc)
remove NSPAM to email

Maxim Demenko

未讀,
2007年11月14日 下午4:20:212007/11/14
收件者:fitzj...@cox.net
fitzj...@cox.net schrieb:

I agree with your recommendation, however, if you refer to shrink in
sense of "ALTER TABLE ... SHRINK ...", then it does free space below HWM .

Best regards

Maxim

Peter Davoren

未讀,
2022年6月30日 下午1:18:112022/6/30
收件者:
GET YOUR BLANK ATM CARD
Get $5,500 USD every day, for six months!
See how it works
Do you know you can hack into any ATM machine with a hacked ATM card??
make up your mind before applying, straight deal…
Order for a blank ATM card now and get millions within a week!: contact me back so we can talk via:

Email: zr16462382130(at)gmail.com
WhatsApp: +1 (415) 510‑0192
0 則新訊息