Am I correct about what is a DataMart?

1 view

Jorge_Beteta

Oct 14, 2003, 5:01:34 PM10/14/03
Hello,

I understand that a Datamart is just another database, which its data
is aquired from source systems - which are transactional system. This
kind of aquiring is called "reconciled".

At the end, a datamart is actually another database from where is
needed to get information via queries.

There would be 2 differences between a datamart and a transactional
standard system:

1. Users could make queries without a programmer's help.
2. The datamart is constructed in a different way. I suposse that a
datamart has rows, columns and tables like any transacctional
database, but the difference is the way the data is "reconciled". I
would think that the entry data is saved just as a concised data. It
means, it is the result of several previuos calculations. And there's
no user who feed the datamart. A datamart is feeded by transactional
standard systems.

My question would be:
1) Am I correct?
2) Is it possible to have a datamart without a transaction source
system? Could you show me an example?

Thanks indeed
Jorge

mar

Oct 16, 2003, 5:00:35 AM10/16/03
"Jorge_Beteta" <jbe...@yahoo.com> wrote

> I understand that a Datamart is just another database, which its data
> is aquired from source systems - which are transactional system. This
> kind of aquiring is called "reconciled".

Not exactly. Datamart is a logical subset of a datawarehouse.

Yes, there can be just one datamart in a database (data warehouse),
but that's rarely the case.

John Keeley

Oct 17, 2003, 11:06:27 AM10/17/03
Datamarts are essentially seperate business processes.
So accounts could be one.
Sales another.
Maybe one on the telephony system analysing the calls.

All add up to a datawarehouse & all use conformed dimensions & facts.

And a planning datamart for budgeting/forecasting could have no
transactional source system as all values come from the end-users.

Read Kimball!