SQL Server ODBC Drivers problem

John Bair

Mar 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/14/96
Dave Eaton <eat...@internet-pilot.uk-po.com> wrote:

>We are experiencing an intermittent problem when trying to open more than
>one snapshot in VB ( VB3). The message 'CONNECTION IS BUSY WITH THE
>RESULTS OF ANOTHER HSMST' is given.

>The current drivers we are using are:-

>Server: SQLSRV32.DLL V2.50.0126 dated 7/8/95

>Cleint: SQLSRVR.DLL V2.50.0121 dated 15/8/96

>Does anyone have ant suggestions/recommendations as to why this is
>happening and how to get round it.>

[snip]

According to MS ODBC driver documentation:

"The SQL Server driver can have only one active hstmt unless it is
used with server cursors; it returns this information through
SQLGetInfo with the SQL_ACTIVE_STATEMENTS option. An hstmt is defined
as active if it has results pending. In this context, results are any
information returned by SQL Server, such as a result set or a count of
the rows affected by an UPDATE statement.

Note An hstmt's activity is not related to its state. For example, if
a SELECT statement is executed and it doesn't return any rows, the
statement is not active, since no results are pending. However, before
the statement can be executed again, the cursor associated with it
must be closed with SQLFreeStmt.

Server cursors allow multiple active statements on a single connection
when connected to SQL Server 6.0.
When connected to SQL Server version 4.2x, the SQL Server driver
supports only one active statement per connection. The cursor library
(shipped with the SQL Server driver) allows applications to use
multiple active statements on a connection."

I'm not that familiar with VB, but in C you would call
SQLSetConnectOption(SQL_ODBC_CURSORS, SQL_CUR_USE_DRIVER) to remedy
the problem. Can you change the type of cursor you are using in the
properties of your control?

Rob Towne

Mar 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/14/96
In article <4i90pu$k...@igateway.uk-po.com>,

Dave Eaton <eat...@internet-pilot.uk-po.com> wrote:
>We are experiencing an intermittent problem when trying to open more than
>one snapshot in VB ( VB3). The message 'CONNECTION IS BUSY WITH THE
>RESULTS OF ANOTHER HSMST' is given.

Our DBA reminded me of this one the other day when I got this message.
In VB, if your setting this SQL statement to say, a snapshot w/passthrough,
before referencing the snapshot do a snap.movelast (then a movefirst if you
need the 1rst row). I know this sounds backwards, but it only happens when
you try to open a 2nd snapshot/dataset where the buffer isn't
clear from the first.

It takes a bit of time if its a large dataset, but it works. Hopefully this
is it and not any driver problems. You can do a 'resume' once you hit this
error to get out of the error handling and back up to the passthrough, then
set the code to a new line that states 'snap.movelast' then hits the
passthrough line again to test.

HTH,
Robert

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
|Robert Towne |
|rto...@scsn.net |
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Dave Eaton

Mar 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/14/96
> [...]

> + Brett Weaver (14)
> * WebSite + SQL server - Wayne Gan (7)
> * Concurrency control in sql server programming - lmr (7)
> o Patrick TOURNAY (5)
> * Quick help on SQL Server 6 and NT -
> cj...@student.open.ac.uk@open.ac.uk (10)
> * Configure ODBC remotely - Brian Elliott (9)
> * Anybody have experience with Banyan/SQL Workstation? -
> Mfritzlen (2)
> * Oracle (DEC) Rdb -> MS SQL Server - mas...@vaxg.isc.rit.edu
> (6)
> o c (7)
> * Extended Stored Procedure - DLL not found - Ramon Carlos (18)
> * ODBC-Connection Win3.1 -> MS-SQL 4.2 - Thomas Freudenberg (12)
> * Syncing up SQL DB with Btrieve DB - Jung Lee (14)
> * Re: Counter field in SQL-Server 6.0 - b...@netcarta.com (29)
> o Hemant (38)
> o Lynne Warner (7)
> * US-UT ** NEED SYSTEMS ANALYST/VB/SQL ASAP *** PAYS$$$!!! **** -
> ASamuels (80)
> * US-NV ** NEED TESTING QA LEAD ASAP *** PAYS$$$!!! **** -
> ASamuels (91)
> * Re: Error 703 Help - Trevor Andrew - TA & Associates P/L (36)
> o Lance Holland (32)
> * sql compliant data bases - sam amsler (13)
> * How about some examples of Stored Procedures? - cdslack (10)
> * Help? Simultaneous Connections - Mike Krause (17)
> * Multiple recordsets and ODBC - Andrew Errington (45)
> * ODBC and stored procedures - Andrew Errington (35)
> * Re: MSSQL 6.0 - Error 0 - Alexander Barth (8)
> * Using Named Transactions - "Susan G. McManus" (14)
> * MS-SQL Server & IIS WEB - René Iffarth (17)
> * Re. problems accessing SQL Server - René Iffarth (11)
> * How NULLs are stored - Sasha Ostojic (10)
> * HELP WANTED : Programmer/Support Services - Scotto Wienhusen
> (18)
> * Re: How to limit # of rows returned by SELECT - Fernando Nantes
> de Souza (12)
> o Fabie...@free.fdn.org (25)
> * Any good books on using MSSQL with VB - Ken Ponder (7)
> * append - Thomas Lai (20)
> * err 3146 partially solved!! - Thomas Lai (27)
> * Can I execute Stored Procedures in a SELECT STATEMENT ?? -
> Iv=?iso-8859-1?Q?=E1n Mingot (23)
> o Brain (9)
> * SQL Monitor fail to start. - Eddy Setiawan (11)
> * Re: Are MICROSOFT SQL courses any good - Sysop (15)
> * Automating database dumps. - Eric (7)
> * Err 3146 (ODBC) - Thomas Lai (13)
> * HELP: dbcc checkdb. - Thomas Lai (112)
> * SQLMail not behaving - cwh...@carleton.edu (17)
> * Image files and BCP - jon glickman (6)
> * SQL Lockup - Roger Layton (25)
> o Wade Henderson (36)
> * HELP! SQL Server 6.0 data corruption - Budget Bureau (21)
> * When Timestamp is not Timestamp -- How to Fix - Gene Hubert
> (13)
> * SQL Server 4.21a Monitoring Tools? - kidseven (4)
> * DB-LIB and stored procs - T.M. Scheeler (12)
> * Press release for Database Security - Gordon Laqua (55)
> * Changing a field length in SQL Server - Gilstrap17 (11)

Ell

Mar 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/17/96
Martin Herbener, mher...@carleton.edu (mher...@carleton.edu) wrote:
: In article <4i90pu$k...@igateway.uk-po.com>, Dave Eaton <eat...@internet-pilot.uk-po.com> writes:
: > We are experiencing an intermittent problem when trying to open more than
: > one snapshot in VB ( VB3). The message 'CONNECTION IS BUSY WITH THE
: > RESULTS OF ANOTHER HSMST' is given.
: >

:In my experience using Access as a client this error has appeared AFTER
:another SQL error. I think it means that the client software has not
:retrieved all the rows from a previous query yet.

If this is the problem, the thing to do in vbsql is to check that the
result from excuting an sql statement is "NOMORERESULTS".

Elliott

Joe Foster of Borg

Mar 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/18/96
In article <4ig67g$5...@news4.digex.net>, e...@access1.digex.net (Ell) writes:

> Martin Herbener, mher...@carleton.edu (mher...@carleton.edu) wrote:
> : In article <4i90pu$k...@igateway.uk-po.com>, Dave Eaton <eat...@internet-pilot.uk-po.com> writes:

> : > We are experiencing an intermittent problem when trying to open more than

> : > one snapshot in VB ( VB3). The message 'CONNECTION IS BUSY WITH THE
> : > RESULTS OF ANOTHER HSMST' is given.

> : >

> :In my experience using Access as a client this error has appeared AFTER
> :another SQL error. I think it means that the client software has not
> :retrieved all the rows from a previous query yet.

> If this is the problem, the thing to do in vbsql is to check that the
> result from excuting an sql statement is "NOMORERESULTS".

> Elliott

We've also gotten this error in Access 2.0. Based on checking
various knowledge bases and the MSDN CD's, the quick fix was to
put this in our Access, VB, and various application .INI files:

[Debug]
RmtTrace=16

This forces the Jet database engine to turn off concurrent
connection processing in ODBC drivers. No code changes were
needed in our applications, except perhaps to verify that the
SetDataAccessOption statement was used and pointing Jet at the
right INI files in our VB apps.

I may have the spelling wrong. If this is the case, I'll
supersede this post with a corrected one.

--
Joe Foster (j...@bftsi0.gate.net or joe%bft...@uunet.uu.net)
WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above They're coming to