Thoughts and Opinions Requested

musicloverlch

Aug 23, 2021, 12:03:16 PMAug 23
Hi all,
I've been given some very complex Word documents with lots of graphics and text from the marketing department that they want to combine with a very involved fee page that is generated by Microsoft Access as one PDF. Which do you think seems to be the better option:

1. Recreate the Word document in Access. Pros: It will come out as one PDF. Cons: It's a really involved Word doc and graphics don't look that great on Access reports.

2. Use Access to control Word and import the data into the Word document and then use Word to export as PDF. Pros: looks better Cons: I don't know how to do it and I don't even know if I can control Word that way.

Thanks for your opinions.

Neil

Aug 23, 2021, 2:34:28 PMAug 23
Depends on what you mean by "combine".

1) A PDF is an independent document that can be created by almost any
application. However, almost none of those applications can READ a PDF
document.

2) You can create a PDF of the Word document, and use Adobe Acrobat to
add the Access-generated page(s) to that PDF.

If you need to integrate the two in some sophisticated way, tell the
marketing department that they can't afford the cost. ;-)

--
best regards,

Neil

Ron Weiner

Aug 23, 2021, 3:22:40 PMAug 23
musicloverlch laid this down on his screen :
Or

3. Use Word to Import the Data from Access. Word like Excel and
Access has a full programmable VBA Layer sitting behind it. I also
have ZERO experience writing code behind a Word document, but I have to
admit it sounds like it might be an interesting endeavor. If it were
me I’d give myself a couple hours of research and coding to see if it
was feasible or not.

Rdub

Keith Tizzard

Aug 24, 2021, 7:35:10 AMAug 24
It depends whether you want to control the whole lot from within your Access database or not.

If the latter then convert the Word document to pdf; create your fees pdf; and then use something like Adobe to merge the two pdfs into one.

If the former then Albert Kallal has produced a facility within Access to merge pdfs files:
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.databases.ms-access/c/RyFkucKupSU/m/7-uID4axAgAJ

I use this.

Ron Paii

Aug 24, 2021, 8:29:34 AMAug 24
Have you tried mail merge from Word, using the query in Access generating the PDF?

Google "reference access query from word document", finds a number of pages.