"Type conversion failure" error.

Peter Jason

Jul 7, 2020, 5:39:22 PM7/7/20
I'm getting this error on attempting to run an update query. Since
many make-table queries also involved, and macros too and the Bill of
Materials will not re-cost, is there any way to diagnose which entity
is involved, or at least close in on the problem? Is there some
diagnostic software available?

Mal Reeve

Jul 8, 2020, 7:29:35 AM7/8/20
A fairly rudimentary test is to run the query as a Select query and look at the data.
A numerical column that is left justified is probably a text field, despite ita entries.

The other quick check is to look at the table for those fields being 'updated' and see if any look "off".

There is probably a method to output what data type each query field is...but that's beyond my pay grade.

Ron Weiner

Jul 8, 2020, 9:16:33 AM7/8/20
Peter Jason submitted this idea :
What I'd do would be to remove one output column at a time until the
query ran without error. That would be the column that was giving you
Iron Balls.

Another method would be to change the query to a Make Table query type,
and let access create the columns an data types. Compare this to your
production table and the column(s) in the new table that are not the
same data type as the your production table are the afformentioned ball
busters.

Rdub

https://www.avg.com

samxj...@gmail.com

Jul 8, 2020, 9:18:45 AM7/8/20
Make a backup of your data, look for Decimal data type fields in your tables and change their data type to Double.

Peter Jason

Jun 27, 2021, 5:21:37 PMJun 27
Thanks to all.

It turned out to be a field with a null value in the bill of materials
component entry.
Restoring the relevant value fixed it.