Recover Database

Rich Ford

Jan 25, 2022, 9:01:52 AM1/25/22
Is it possible to save a checkpoint file in a backup directory then destroy
the database, create the database and then use this checkpoint file to recover the database the state prior to the destroy?

Rich

Martin Bowes

Jan 25, 2022, 9:12:09 AM1/25/22
to Rich Ford, info-...@lists.planetingres.org
Hi Rich,

Short answer: Don't.

This is not the right way to do it as there are huge problems in getting the database to believe the checkpoint file is cool. You could end up with a very scrambled database configuration file

This is not what a checkpoint file is for. A checkpoint file is created so that you can do time based recoveries using th edatabsse journals.

What you want is a static backup created with either unloaddb or copydb. Those are designed for exactly this sort of task.

Marty

Rich Ford

Jan 25, 2022, 9:16:24 AM1/25/22
Thanks for the quick reply.

Rich

Karl Schendel

Jan 25, 2022, 9:50:10 AM1/25/22
to Ingres and related product discussion forum

> On Jan 25, 2022, at 9:01 AM, Rich Ford <richf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Is it possible to save a checkpoint file in a backup directory then destroy
> the database, create the database and then use this checkpoint file to recover the database the state prior to the destroy?

Possible, yes. It's not the simplest thing in the world to get right,
and you can't just rollforwarddb the checkpoint. I don't advise it
unless there is no other way to recover, and then I'd want to get
Tech Support involved.

Karl

Adrian Williamson

Jan 25, 2022, 10:14:09 AM1/25/22
to Ingres and related product discussion forum

Ah yes, the dreaded database identifier and binary editing of database
(CNF?) files....keep you all night long that will.

Jan 25, 2022, 11:23:00 AM1/25/22
Like everyone else has said, I would discourage that approach.
The preferred tool for that situation is unloaddb.

That said, your disaster recovery plan should include all the steps
required to do just what you suggest. In the event of a total loss of
the facility (fire, flood, carpet moths) you need to be able to
reinstate your database on a new machine using the checkpoint.

I get the impression you are new to the site. You should ask if
anyone else there knows where the disaster plan is.

If they don't, your next step is to become a hero by writing it.

Roy

Allan Biggs

Jan 25, 2022, 11:38:08 AM1/25/22
to Ingres lists
Rich,

If you're on virtual machines backed up on an NFS and assuming the nfs hasn't suffered as Roy postulates. There are possible ways of rolling back the virtual machine itself and recovering from there.

Allan

--
Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Paul White

Jan 25, 2022, 9:02:09 PM1/25/22
to Ingres and related product discussion forum
This work ok for replication.

I drop a production database, which removes ckp jnl dmp tmp data. (Non x100 db).

Then:
Createdb
Ckpdb +j
Rsync from DR server:ckp dmp jnl
Copy aaaaaaaa.* from dmp to data
Infodb to make sure
Rollforwarddb to point in time
Ckpdb +j

No editing configs or iidbdb required.

Am i missing something?

Roy Hann

Jan 26, 2022, 8:12:09 AM1/26/22
to info-...@lists.planetingres.org

> This work ok for replication.

> I drop a production database, which removes ckp jnl dmp tmp data. (Non x100 db).

> Then:
> Createdb
> Ckpdb +j
> Rsync from DR server:ckp dmp jnl
> Copy aaaaaaaa.* from dmp to data
> Infodb to make sure
> Rollforwarddb to point in time
> Ckpdb +j

> No editing configs or iidbdb required.

> Am i missing something?

I would update iidatatabase.db_id in iidbdb to make it the database ID
of the old database. It's not a big deal but it means IPM will show
the correct database name.

And for DR purposes I'd make sure I was keeping all my Ingres user IDs
from iidbdb, and also my area and location definitions so they could
be recreated after the smoke clears.

Roy