Database Configuration File Editor

rthdavid

May 20, 2022, 9:36:49 AMMay 20
Hi c.d.i.,

I'm sure this question has been asked many times before, but does anyone have or know of a good Ingres database configuration file editor that works on x86_64?

TIA

Richard

Roy Hann

May 20, 2022, 10:02:41 AMMay 20
rthdavid wrote:

> I'm sure this question has been asked many times before, but does anyone
> have or know of a good Ingres database configuration file editor that
> works on x86_64?

Well you can always hack the file with your favorite editor but I
assume you'd like something that recalculates derived parameters,
validates settings, respect protected settings, and keeps a change
history. In which case cbf, the GUI version of cbf, or Director are
the only choices AFAIK.

Roy

rthdavid

May 20, 2022, 11:09:51 AMMay 20
Hi Roy,

I'm sorry, but I should have made it more clear; I'm looking for a tool for editing aaaaaaaa.cnf not config.dat.

TIA

Richard

Roy Hann

May 20, 2022, 12:14:41 PMMay 20
rthdavid wrote:

> I'm sorry, but I should have made it more clear; I'm looking for a tool
> for editing aaaaaaaa.cnf not config.dat.

Silly me. I did wonder why you'd be asking about a tool for config.dat.

I know Karl Schendel brewed his own and maybe he will pipe up here if it
is still in a fit state.

I created a template file for use with HexEdit Pro years ago. I just
tried to get the latest version of HexEdit to see if my template works
with the current release but the product no longer exists. Even the
domain name has lapsed. :-(

Obviously you are welcome to the template but I don't think I'd be doing
you any favours leading you down that dead-end.

Roy

G Jones

May 23, 2022, 3:33:55 AMMay 23
If you can dig out a copy of the old GPL version of Ingres, dm0c.h looks like the place where you'd find the structures involved. They might have changed in the meantime of course, but hopefully a useful starting point.