Finding ..\ingres\lib for a script

Roy Hann

Jan 23, 2022, 3:30:21 PM1/23/22
In the *nix world I would look for $II_SYSTEM and navigate from there.
But there is no II_SYSTEM in Windows. Is there anything that makes it
look like I know what I'm doing other than searching %LIB% for an entry
ending with "ingres\lib"?

Roy

Paul White

Jan 23, 2022, 7:08:09 PM1/23/22
to info-...@lists.planetingres.org
Hi Roy,

If the sysop has decided not install II_SYSTEM in in the System
environment (or there may be multiple installations) then you have an
number of options to search for installations:

If you have access to an Ingres Command window.

set | find "II"
set | find /i "lib"

Right click on an Ingres utility icon to see the wrapper which sets the
environment based on the location.  In that shell you can query
environment and ingprenv:

eg
Actian Administrator Command Prompt
C:\IngresII\ingres\bin\ingadminwrap.exe "C:\Windows\system32\CMD.EXE" /K
"C:\IngresII\ingres\bin\setingenvs.bat"

Actian Visual DBA
C:\IngresII\ingres\bin\ingwrap.exe "C:\IngresII\ingres\bin\vdba.exe"

For DB servers I always use the 8 character name  to simplify admin
scripting.  eg C:\IngresII, D:\IngresII or similar.  Default windows
directories are usually:

C:\ProgramData\Actian\
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Actian>
C:\Program Files\Actian\
C:\Program Files (x86) \Actian\

If you have admin access to the server the reg command can be used directly:

reg query HKLM\Software\classes | find /i "\ingres"

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\classes\Ingres.IIA.II
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\classes\Ingres.VDBA.II
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\classes\IngresImportExport
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\classes\IngresImportExport.1
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\classes\Ingres_Database_II

reg query hklm\software\classes\ingres_database_ii /s
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\classes\ingres_database_ii\shell
    II_SYSTEM    REG_SZ    C:\IngresII
    II_INSTALLATION    REG_SZ    II
    II_TEMPORARY    REG_SZ    C:\ProgramData\Actian\IngresII\temp

The output of commands can be captured to a variable if you are trying
to automate:

C:\>for /f "tokens=*" %%a in ( 'reg query
hklm\software\classes\ingres_database_ii /s ^| find "II_SYSTEM"') do set
MYLOC=%%a
C:\>set MYLOC=II_SYSTEM    REG_SZ C:\IngresII
C:\>echo %MYLOC%
II_SYSTEM    REG_SZ    C:\IngresII

C:\>for /f "tokens=3" %%a in ( 'reg query
hklm\software\classes\ingres_database_ii /s ^| find "II_SYSTEM"') do set
MYLOC=%%a
C:\>set MYLOC=C:\IngresII
C:\>echo %MYLOC%
C:\IngresII

(ps use %a instead of %%a if running directly from command window)

You can use Powershell to retrieve registry items without admin access.
I'm not a fan of powershell.  All my scripts are traditional windows BAT
files.

PS W:\> Get-ChildItem -Path HKLM:\software\classes\ingres* |
Select-Object Name
Name
----
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\classes\Ingres.IIA.II
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\classes\Ingres.VDBA.II
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\classes\IngresImportExport
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\classes\IngresImportExport.1
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\classes\Ingres_Database_II

PS W:\> Get-Item -Path HKLM:\software\classes\ingres_database_II\shell
    Hive: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\classes\ingres_database_II\
Name                           Property
----                           --------
shell                          II_SYSTEM       : C:\IngresII
                               II_INSTALLATION : II
                               II_TEMPORARY    :
C:\ProgramData\Actian\IngresII\temp

PS W:\> Get-ItemProperty -Path
HKLM:\software\classes\ingres_database_II\shell
II_SYSTEM       : C:\IngresII
II_INSTALLATION : II
II_TEMPORARY    : C:\ProgramData\Actian\IngresII\temp
PSPath          :
Microsoft.PowerShell.Core\Registry::HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\classes\ingr
                  es_database_II\shell
PSParentPath    :
Microsoft.PowerShell.Core\Registry::HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\classes\ingr
                  es_database_II
PSChildName     : shell
PSDrive         : HKLM
PSProvider      : Microsoft.PowerShell.Core\Registry

PS W:\> Get-ItemPropertyValue -Path
HKLM:\software\classes\ingres_database_II\shell -name II_SYSTEM
C:\IngresII

Paul White<br>
Shift Seven Solutions<br>
p: 0754482137<br>
e: paul....@shift7solutions.com.au<br>
w: https://www.shift7solutions.com.au<br>
International: +61414681799<br>

Roy Hann

Jan 24, 2022, 4:16:02 AM1/24/22
Thanks for that very comprehensive response Paul. That's a great public
service.

Not to take anything away from the rest of what you wrote, your first
sentence points out something I didn't know. As it happens almost all
my Windows machines running Ingres have multiple installations. So
that explains why I don't see II_SYSTEM.

Sure enough, I just hopped onto the one machine with only a single
installation and II_SYSTEM is set, ripe for use.

I am still puzzling over why it wouldn't be set on my other machines
when it is implied in settings in PATH, LIB, etc.

Since I would need to do an ingprenv to get the installation identifier
I think parsing %LIB% for the "ingres\lib" entry remains the most
concise solution. But bleh.

Thanks again for putting my mind at rest.

Roy