Help a newbie get connected to a local development Informix 14.10 server

Eli Belowan

Jun 1, 2021, 7:15:55 PM6/1/21
Good afternoon all:

Hoping this finds you well. Being familiar with other DBs such as DB2,
Oracle, and such, I am trying to get my feet wet, by wading into
Informix. I installed the developer server in a Windows VM, set the
default user's password, ran the server configuration CMD file, and got
stuck.
All I know at this point is that the installer added its services
configured for TCP to services. I checked which processes listen on
them, and oninit.exe is only listening on 127.0.0.1:9090. Locally, I can
start dbaccess.exe and do little. But remotely I cannot connect because
connection is refused, which makes sense since nothing is listening.
When I tried to run dbaccessdemo.cmd, it errored half-way, after
creating store_demo DB. The errors likely stem from missing double
quotes around paths that lead into "Program Files". I surmise so from
the fact that a file called "Program" was created on c:\.
I now question the wisdom of allowing the installer to put itself under
Program Files. Perhaps, like with DB2, I should have chosen to install
under something like c:\informix instead?
If anyone could help me to bring up the network port, for me to get
access through JDBC from outside of the VM, I'd greatly appreciate it!
Or point me at the documentation that I missed.

Thank you!