logging change error

Karl Hewlett

Aug 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/2/00
Hi

I am a new Informix DBA - and have never use Informix before :) (I have an
Oracle background)

Yesterday I dbimported a database (ausatst -thank god it is a test database,
but still v. important at this stage of the project). I had not set logging
on (didn't know I had to) and had to go to a meeting. The PeopleSoft
administrator (my backup) attempted to set logging on with "ontape -s -U
ausatst" and encountered some sort of error. I think he may have done a
level 2 ontape.

Anyway the present situation is that onmonitor reports a logging status of
N. Any attempt to alter the logging status results in the following error

informix:ps7testshm@zircon>ontape -s -U aufstst
Error changing logging status - 'aufstst'. iserrno 107.

I have attempted to do "ontape -s -N ausatst" with the same result.
ontape -s -B ausatst gives the result "invalid logging change" or some very
similar error. I have dropped and reimported the database. I have stopped
and resarted the instance. The docos refer to an onarchive command that
stops a partly completed logging change but we don't use onarchive and it
doesn't run - I tried it.

Any help greatfull appreciated. As I do not have newsgroup access at work
please reply to k.he...@auckland.ac.nz Thank you.

Karl Hewlett
PeopleSoft DBA
University of Auckland
New Zealand

Obnoxio The Clown

Aug 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/2/00

OK, let's do this quickly:

1. In your onconfig file, set:

TAPEDEV /dev/null # if UNIX
or
TAPEDEV NUL # if NT

2. ontape -s -L 0 -U ausatst

Aside, do you really need unbuffered logging? It's quite slow compared to
buffered logging, and if this is just a test database....

The command would be:

ontape -s -L 0 -B ausatst

HTH.

Stephen Faehn

Aug 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/2/00
A session has a lock on the database.
You need to remove the lock.
Stop PeopleSoft, bring Informix to "Quiescent Mode" onmode -sy,
run ondblog unbuf aufstst,
onbar -b -F,
onmode -m,
start PeopleSoft.

"Karl Hewlett" <kz...@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> Hi

> I am a new Informix DBA - and have never use Informix before :) (I have an
> Oracle background)
>
> Yesterday I dbimported a database (ausatst -thank god it is a test
database,
> but still v. important at this stage of the project). I had not set
logging
> on (didn't know I had to) and had to go to a meeting. The PeopleSoft
> administrator (my backup) attempted to set logging on with "ontape -s -U
> ausatst" and encountered some sort of error. I think he may have done a
> level 2 ontape.
>
> Anyway the present situation is that onmonitor reports a logging status of
> N. Any attempt to alter the logging status results in the following error
>
> informix:ps7testshm@zircon>ontape -s -U aufstst
> Error changing logging status - 'aufstst'. iserrno 107.
>

> I have attempted to do "ontape -s -N ausatst" with the same result.
> ontape -s -B ausatst gives the result "invalid logging change" or some
very
> similar error. I have dropped and reimported the database. I have
stopped
> and resarted the instance. The docos refer to an onarchive command that
> stops a partly completed logging change but we don't use onarchive and it
> doesn't run - I tried it.
>
> Any help greatfull appreciated. As I do not have newsgroup access at work
> please reply to k.he...@auckland.ac.nz Thank you.

Karl Hewlett

Aug 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/7/00
Hi

Thanks for your help people.

The problem turned out to be that there was a service starting
automatically - I had a user logged on as far as Informix knew. I did an
onmode -s ...

All happy now :)

Karl

hvalen...@gmail.com

Mar 22, 2019, 2:08:16 PM3/22/19
ejecutar dbimport con -l buffered
la solucion funciona:

server:informix/home/informix > ontape -s -L 0 -B database

Please mount tape 1 on /work/tape_serverinformix and press Return to continue ...
10 percent done.
20 percent done.
30 percent done.
100 percent done.
Read/Write End Of Medium enabled: blocks = 61441

Please label this tape as number 1 in the arc tape sequence.
This tape contains the following logical logs:

20542

Program over.

Mike Walker

Mar 22, 2019, 3:30:06 PM3/22/19
to hvalen...@gmail.com, inform...@iiug.org
I think that this might be as simple as making sure that there is NOBODY in the database when you try and change the logging mode.

The 107 is a locking error.

Run "onstat -g sql" and there should be NO connections referencing the ausatst database.

I don't know what version of Informix you are on, but you may find the ondblog command (if available) more friendly than using ontape.