Corrugated Design

Johnny Guerra

Jul 19, 2002, 8:26:44 PM7/19/02
I am a Packaging designe and am learning how to use solidworks. We are
using solidworks to design our end cap and foam pads, and I would like
to be able to use the sheet metal capabilities to give us a nice 3d
design of our corrugated parts. Any one ever tried this?

Ray Reynolds

Jul 19, 2002, 8:47:27 PM7/19/02
I've done a few packaging projects using SW. First thing, don't go
overboard and try to model the corrugated cardboard, it's not worth the
trouble. If you need to for presentation purposes, it's much better to ad a
patterned cut feature to the edge of your material to give the illusion of
corrugation.

I designed a few fairly complicated end-user product boxes as well as
shipping crates with SW, and it is very nice to be able to actually give the
flat pattern of your box to a vendor to die-cut, etc. I've even gone as far
as to add packing tape, silk screens and shipping labels.

"Johnny Guerra" <jr...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Someone

Jul 19, 2002, 9:07:30 PM7/19/02
> I designed a few fairly complicated end-user product boxes as well as
> shipping crates with SW, and it is very nice to be able to actually
> give the flat pattern of your box to a vendor to die-cut, etc.

How do you handle the bend allowance?

RM

Ray Reynolds

Jul 20, 2002, 9:19:27 AM7/20/02
Corrugated cardboard behaves differently than sheet metal. Corrugation
doesn't "deform" around a bend like steel, it more or less only "creases &
folds" if you can understand that. The vendor I worked with, I was able to
stick with the default k-factor and an inside radius of .031 for the work I
was doing. The material thicknesses I was working with were C and E class
corrugations, so they were rather thin.

The hard part is trying to model the zero-thickness die-cut that were
sometimes used. I think I had to create cuts that were .005 wide, just so I
could model them and use Bends. This was back in SW2001, and I haven't had
the opprotunity to do anything with packaging since.

"Someone" <Som...@somewhere.net> wrote in message

Johnny Guerra

Jul 20, 2002, 11:09:18 AM7/20/02
Someone <Som...@somewhere.net> wrote in message news:<Xns9250D90E5C8D3S...@65.82.44.7>...

Yes, please tell.

Richard M

Jul 22, 2002, 10:06:40 AM7/22/02
We're working with 350 double-wall corrugated. Tried using K-Factor of 1.0
on assumption that outer wall doesn't stretch while inner walls crimp/fold
together against outer wall. Never got good correlation with real world,
though, and my boss is back to laying out the blanks in AutoCAD.

Any more thoughts on how we can model these bends accurately in SolidWorks?

RM

"Ray Reynolds" <rrey...@riconcorp.com> wrote in message

Kenneth

Jul 22, 2002, 11:33:10 AM7/22/02
"Richard M" <nos...@nowhere.net> wrote in message

> We're working with 350 double-wall corrugated. Tried using K-Factor of 1.0
> on assumption that outer wall doesn't stretch while inner walls crimp/fold
> together against outer wall. Never got good correlation with real world,
> though, and my boss is back to laying out the blanks in AutoCAD.

I'm a little dumbfounded as to why someone would go back to Autocad for
sheetmetal functionality! How does your boss calculate bend deduction in
AutoCAD?

> Any more thoughts on how we can model these bends accurately in
> SolidWorks?

If you aren't experiencing any growth in your bends (or minimal at the very
least), stop using a k. Instead try to develop a bend deduction table
(Excel). If no growth is being experienced use .0001" (since a value of
zero is not allowed in Excel Bend Deduction Table).

Some examples of bend tables are located in your sw installation folder;
\Program Files\SolidWorks\lang\english\Sheetmetal Bend Tables\bend deduction

HTH
Kenneth

> RM

<snip>

Jerry Steiger

Jul 22, 2002, 3:29:54 PM7/22/02
"Richard M" <nos...@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> We're working with 350 double-wall corrugated. Tried using K-Factor of 1.0
> on assumption that outer wall doesn't stretch while inner walls crimp/fold
> together against outer wall. Never got good correlation with real world,
> though, and my boss is back to laying out the blanks in AutoCAD.
>
> Any more thoughts on how we can model these bends accurately in
SolidWorks?

Richard,

First, a warning: I don't know diddly about designing cardboard boxes.

I think you gave up too easily. As a first pass, I would assume that the
neutral axis is half way through the outer layer, not at the absolute
outside. If, for example, you had 1/16" inner and outer layers and 1/8" of
corrugation in the middle, then your K-factor would be 7/8, not 1. Some
testing (or comparison with your existing bend allowances) would zero in on
better k-factors; I could easily imagine that you might need different
values for different materials and possibly for different bend directions
(parallel and perpendicular to the corrugations.)

Jerry Steiger
At Work Computers

Johnny Guerra

Jul 22, 2002, 7:43:20 PM7/22/02
jr...@hotmail.com (Johnny Guerra) wrote in message news:<fbc5e2d6.02072...@posting.google.com>...

how about some info regarding importing a dxf with the crease information?

Ray Reynolds

Jul 22, 2002, 9:54:50 PM7/22/02
If you get a flat DXF of your corrugation, it might or might not have the
bend lines intact. If it does, it's a simple matter of Insert>Sketch from
Drawing, then Extrude to your required thickness. Once that is done,
Insert>Sheet Metal>Bends, Suppress Process-Bends, and copy your bend lines
over to a new sketch. When you rollback you should get your bends in there
and it will be a matter of tweaking the bends to get them to go in the
proper direction and angle (I might be off on some of the above steps, going
from memory and that's always bad).

If you don't get the bend lines with your DXF, then break out your
calculator and manually figure where your bends should be.

If I were doing it, I'd prefer to simply start from scratch with the 2d
drawing info of the box, and recreate the whole thing as a solid.

Sporkman

Jul 23, 2002, 12:03:42 AM7/23/02
If you're trying to attain zero LENGTH stretch/compression across the
bend then a K-factor of .5 is what you want (not 1.0). Lower than .5
gives you length stretch. Higher than .5 gives you length compression.
Forget about what the inner and outer walls do, except that for the
inside bend radius you want an abolute minimum. I think that's probably
the best you can do, as far as results from the sheet metal capability
is concerned, unless you use a paper-thin thickness and ADD thickness
after the bends (with appropriate V-notches in the corners). That last
approach should allow you an accurate flat pattern and realistic bent-up
representation, at the expense of a good bit of extra work.

'Spork'

krishna maind

Feb 17, 2022, 2:05:24 AM2/17/22
What is the bend radius of corrugated box packaging?