How to buy old versions of Solidworks

Vaishnav

Apr 19, 2008, 2:00:59 AM4/19/08
I've got an older machine with 512MB of RAM and a 900Mhz processor. I
am looking to purcahse an older version of solidworks, preferrably
Soldiworks 99, 2000 or 2001. I've searched on ebay and Amazon but only
Soldiworks 2007 onwards is available for sale. Any suggestions on how
I can get the older versions?

TOP

Apr 19, 2008, 11:27:53 PM4/19/08
Buy a company that owns a seat that old. But it might be cheaper to
buy a faster machine and buy a current version.

TOP

Ronni

Apr 21, 2008, 3:28:54 AM4/21/08
If you buy a current version I am sure your VAR can find an older one
for you to install.. They useually have all versions in some kind of
archive.

I dont think you buy a certain version, but instead you buy the
program and can request whatever version you want.

TEngle

Apr 21, 2008, 8:15:58 AM4/21/08
You can't actually buy the software.
You are buying a license that gives you the right to use the software
within the terms of the license.

I'm surprised to hear that SW2007 is available on eBay and Amazon.
Most CAD software licenses specify that the license is not
transferable.
Their "software police" monitor eBay and jerk any listings of their
product.

You will probably have to rely on word-of-mouth to find software that
old.

fcsuper

Apr 21, 2008, 11:03:04 AM4/21/08

TOP,

That was my comment on another board to this same question. :)

Matt Lorono
http://sw.fcsuper.com
http://www.fcsuper.com/swblog

Pat

Apr 23, 2008, 11:47:35 AM4/23/08

So Solidworks licenses are not transferable, even to another company?

That70sTick

Apr 23, 2008, 11:53:04 AM4/23/08

correct.

The only way a SW license may transfer is if it belongs to a company,
and that company is purchased.

Chris Dubea

Apr 23, 2008, 9:05:55 PM4/23/08

You can get a company bought license transferred to the owner of the
company if the company ceases functioning. I know because I did it.

Chris

vvurd...@gmail.com

Apr 27, 2008, 10:10:00 PM4/27/08
Vaishnav, I am running SW 2007 on an old Dell Inspiron 2500; it has
512MB RAM and I think it is running at about 600mhz; it is not "fast"
but performance is acceptable.

vvurd