Almost Three Months Since the Last Sevice Pack

Mike J. Wilson

Jan 22, 2004, 3:39:16 PM1/22/04
Just release 2005 and move on SolidWorks. It's all beta
anyhow.

Paul Salvador

Jan 22, 2004, 3:54:14 PM1/22/04
That's an excellent idea!! Screw SW2004! and all the sp's!!

Let's move forward and deal with "TRUE" beta testing!!

Man, that would solve a lot of problems and I'm sure the programmers
would luv it!

Let's skip and forget SW2004 and move forward!!!

This is a great idea, man!!

..

Mike J. Wilson

Jan 22, 2004, 4:45:57 PM1/22/04
Sorry Paul, I was in stage 3 there for a moment. Not sure
what stage I'm in now ;^)

The Five Stages of Stable Software Loss...

Stage 1: Denial
*) We deny that "stable software" has died
*) We ignore signs our stable software has "passed away"
*) We believe that by thinking positively, the bugs
will "disappear"

Stage 2: Bargaining
*) We promise to "strike a deal" for better software
*) We promise to beta test until we croak
*) We agree to pay to beta test as an extreme measure
*) We lack confidence to deal with the loss of stability
*) We begin to "Shop around" for better software

Stage 3: Anger
*) We become angry with everyone
*) We get upset at the steps we take to overcome this
outrage
*) We pick out "scapegoats" in which to vent our anger
*) We blame ourselves
*) We blame the software
*) We believe we have a RIGHT to be PISSED

Note: Anger is a normal stage that must be expressed

Stage 4: Despair
*) We become overwhelmed with the anguish and pain
*) We begin to have uncontrollable weeping and sobbing
*) We can go into deep silence, never posting to the
newsgroup again
*) We feel guilty, believing we are responsible for
the death of stable software
*) We lose all hope faith and trust in our software

Note: At this stage, we need our software company to
communicate with us so we can work through this. If
our software company doesn't let us know what's going
on, we experience mental illness, poor bonding,
unhealthy interaction and inability to cope.

Stage 5: Acceptance
Now where did I put my happy pills?

Mike Wilson

Sporkman

Jan 22, 2004, 5:03:06 PM1/22/04
I'm gonna clip and save this one, Mike. Inspired is what it is!!

'Sporky'
* "Sneakin' SALLY through the alley..." (with apologies to Jim Sculley
and also Lowell George, may he rest in peace)

Kman

Jan 22, 2004, 5:17:38 PM1/22/04
SW marketing tactics are as deceptive as AutoDesk's ever were. They don't
polish off the previous release and are already promoting the next. Everyone
struggles with the poor quality for half the year, and then by some miracle,
the product becomes barely tolerable enough to use just prior to the next
release. Oh yea, subscription renewal is around the corner, what to do?
Cancel subscription or hope the next release will be better than the last,
because this release isn't so good. I'm positive the next release will have
hundreds of new features and improvements and the speed will be
unbelievable.

Myth:
More beta testers means less problems at release

Kman

Malcol...@the_world.net

Jan 22, 2004, 6:05:47 PM1/22/04

I, Malcontent am at stage 4.

M.T.

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 14:45:57 -0700, "Mike J. Wilson" <m...@w.com> wrote:

>Stage 4: Despair

>*) We can go into deep silence, never posting to the
> newsgroup again

>Mike Wilson

Nick E.

Jan 22, 2004, 7:42:18 PM1/22/04
Kman wrote:

> Myth:
> More beta testers means less problems at release
>
> Kman

now to be fair, except for a few REALLY SHITTY bugs, SP0.0 really wasn't
nearly as bad as it could have been. SP1.0 is worse.

unintentional side effect.
--Linus Torvalds

Jean Marc BRUN

Jan 23, 2004, 2:37:47 AM1/23/04

"Mike J. Wilson" <m...@w.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
40104...@127.0.0.1...

> Sorry Paul, I was in stage 3 there for a moment. Not sure
> what stage I'm in now ;^)

The "slip of the tongue" tells it:

French--> English
sévices: -->
maltreatment; ill-treatment; brutality; cruelty
(also used in S&M relationship...)

Arto Kvick

Jan 23, 2004, 5:01:23 AM1/23/04
> *) We become overwhelmed with the anguish and pain

Sounds too familiar...

> *) We begin to have uncontrollable weeping and sobbing
> *) We can go into deep silence, never posting to the
> newsgroup again
> *) We feel guilty, believing we are responsible for
> the death of stable software
> *) We lose all hope faith and trust in our software

not occured yet, still at stage 3 on these matters...

:p took your post to my "Do not delete" -list

Eddy Hicks

Jan 23, 2004, 5:03:39 AM1/23/04
Priceless Mike! I actually laughed out loud when I read it.

This one is getting printed and framed on the wall! (hope you don't mind)
:)

Thanks, especially today.

- Eddy

Stefan Berlitz

Jan 23, 2004, 5:20:37 AM1/23/04

"Mike J. Wilson" <m...@w.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:40104...@127.0.0.1...

> Sorry Paul, I was in stage 3 there for a moment. Not sure
> what stage I'm in now ;^)
>
> The Five Stages of Stable Software Loss...

I love this, it's almost one of these outstanding
I-knew-it-but-couldn't-grasp-it kind of things, which
allows me to take a step back and observe myself ...

looks like I'm tossed between stage 2 and 4, but trying
not to show stage 3 in public ;-)

Would you mind if I use this defintions for my website and
in our german newsgroups? *lol*

Bye,
Stefan

--
unofficial german SolidWorks helpsite
http://solidworks.cad.de

Jeff N

Jan 23, 2004, 9:18:07 AM1/23/04
Mike you should have posted this before the World Conference. Then I woulda
gone and put "approaching Stage 4" on my name tag just so I could explain it
to everyone. LOL

Jeff
"Can I be a SWW 2004 keynote speaker?"

Kman

Jan 23, 2004, 9:51:06 AM1/23/04
I agree beta testing is necessary and don't want to imply it is useless.
However, there is a point of no return with regards to the effectiveness of
mass numbers of beta testers.

Kman

"Nick E." <ni...@flyingpigs.com> wrote in message

SW Monkey

Jan 23, 2004, 11:12:46 AM1/23/04
So what are the major things wrong with SWX2004? I get about 2
crashes a week with SWX2003 SP5. We are suppose to be upgrading to
2004 in a month or so.

DaveL

Jan 23, 2004, 11:46:39 AM1/23/04
help for stage 4 sufferers

http://www.despair.com

one of my favorites. unfortunately it sometimes applies to me

http://www.despair.com/demotivators/incompetence.html

Mike J. Wilson

Jan 23, 2004, 2:07:20 PM1/23/04
Heh, I didn't realize I would get such a response.
You guys can post 'em and modify 'em.

Sevice.. I can't believe I did that!

Mike

Jeff N

Jan 23, 2004, 2:13:27 PM1/23/04
Yeah those are pretty funny.
I had the "motivation" one in my cube at the last place.

If a pretty poster and a cute saying are all it takes to motivate you, you
probably have a very east job. The kind robots will be doing soon.

"DaveL" <ddl...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Dale Dunn

Jan 23, 2004, 2:20:15 PM1/23/04
User since 99. Stage 5 since 03.

Sporkman

Jan 23, 2004, 4:15:58 PM1/23/04
Oh, man, this Web site is precious. Read some of the articles!! I've
got tears coming out of my eyes all right -- but Despair it's not.
Thanks for making my day.