MicroStation SE : update / panning slower ?

Guido [CITech]

Dec 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/3/97

some of my customers tell me that MicroStation SE is slower.

Some ideas why?

We checked already BackingStore and DirectDraw, ...

THX

Guido

Thad Clark-Soles

Dec 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/3/97
to Guido [CITech]
YES it is horribly slower. maybe its just the pre-release copy. but i
have noticed this as well. Also with the image manager option loaded it
refreshs each view then closes all views except view 1 when you close a
file. Bentley said this is a WAD but its an excuse if you as me.
the version that will ship on dec 15 is 5.7.0.25 (I think) so unless you
have this version already i guess we will be waiting on a maintenance
release.

TCS

Phil Chouinard [Bentley]

Dec 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/3/97

Guido [CITech] wrote in message <663br3$a78$1...@caladan.restena.lu>...

>some of my customers tell me that MicroStation SE is slower.
>
>Some ideas why?
>
>We checked already BackingStore and DirectDraw, ...

Guido: Hmmm... this is news to us. All during the MicroStation SE project,
we kept a very close eye on *performance* in various aspects of the product
(including display) and anything like you're suggesting would certainly have
been investigated and resolved. If you can provide us with some test cases
using the commercially available version (currently downloadable from SELECT
Stream at http://www.bentley.com/select/index.htm), we will certainly have
them looked into. Feel free to send the steps you used to either our
Worldwide Support Group (mailto:sup...@bentley.com) or even myself. HTH

============== One of "The People Behind MicroStation" ==============
Phil Chouinard - ITO (610) 458-5000 v (610) 458-1060 f
Bentley Systems WWW: http://www.bentley.com
690 Pennsylvania Drive CompuServe: 75300,3376
Exton, PA USA 19341-1136 mailto:Phil.Ch...@Bentley.com
================= "Engineering the Future Together" =================

Thomas Voghera

Dec 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/4/97

Phil

I've just installed SE. Over my old version. Nothing else done.
It's slower heare now on my system. NTv4sp3swedish.
Panning, updating, changing files, exchange to reffile getting a command
active and such so slow I probably copy back my full 95 when starting to
work tomorrow. =

I've heard of a few others here in Sweden with same problem.

When the command is active the SE feels normal. Does SE asks for more
memory. I have 48MB.

The installation didn't "take" some of my old preferences; ctrl-Z, open
two windows and maybe more.

Any ideas?

Thomas Voghera

BTW
The new coloured icons look a little bit like a Christmas tree. Good
timing!

Thomas Voghera, TVAK
Box 8215, 163 08 SP=C5NGA, SWEDEN
Tel +46 8 795 7630 Fax +46 8 795 7650 Mob +46 70 695 7630
e-mail: vog...@ibm.net

Chouinard [Bentley] wrote:
> =

> Guido [CITech] wrote in message <663br3$a78$1...@caladan.restena.lu>...

> =

> >some of my customers tell me that MicroStation SE is slower.
> >
> >Some ideas why?
> >
> >We checked already BackingStore and DirectDraw, ...

> =

> Guido: Hmmm... this is news to us. All during the MicroStation SE proje=
ct,
> we kept a very close eye on *performance* in various aspects of the pro=
duct
> (including display) and anything like you're suggesting would certainly=
have
> been investigated and resolved. If you can provide us with some test ca=
ses
> using the commercially available version (currently downloadable from S=
ELECT
> Stream at http://www.bentley.com/select/index.htm), we will certainly h=

ave
> them looked into. Feel free to send the steps you used to either our

> Worldwide Support Group (mailto:sup...@bentley.com) or even myself. HT=
> =

> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D One of "The People Behind M=
icroStation" =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

> Phil Chouinard - ITO (610) 458-5000 v (610) 458-1060 f
> Bentley Systems WWW: http://www.bentley.com
> 690 Pennsylvania Drive CompuServe: 75300,3376
> Exton, PA USA 19341-1136 mailto:Phil.Ch...@Bentley.com

> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D "Engineering the F=
uture Together" =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Henrik C. Malmberg

Dec 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/5/97

Hi Thomas,

I can only confirm what you´re saying, it certainly appears
to be slower for some reason. I haven´t done any tests
or anything but the feeling of SE being slower for some odd
reason is there all the same.

Cheers,

Henrik C. Malmberg
Kampsax AB, Geoplan
SWEDEN
m...@9kampsax.se
(PS. Great tip there Chris, thanks)
Thomas Voghera skrev i meddelandet <3485FD...@ibm.net>...
Phil

I've just installed SE. Over my old version. Nothing else done.
It's slower heare now on my system. NTv4sp3swedish.
Panning, updating, changing files, exchange to reffile getting a command
active and such so slow I probably copy back my full 95 when starting to
work tomorrow.

I've heard of a few others here in Sweden with same problem.

When the command is active the SE feels normal. Does SE asks for more
memory. I have 48MB.

The installation didn't "take" some of my old preferences; ctrl-Z, open
two windows and maybe more.

Any ideas?

Thomas Voghera

BTW
The new coloured icons look a little bit like a Christmas tree. Good
timing!

Thomas Voghera, TVAK
Box 8215, 163 08 SPÅNGA, SWEDEN

Chouinard [Bentley] wrote:

> Guido [CITech] wrote in message <663br3$a78$1...@caladan.restena.lu>...
>

> >some of my customers tell me that MicroStation SE is slower.
> >
> >Some ideas why?
> >
> >We checked already BackingStore and DirectDraw, ...
>

> Guido: Hmmm... this is news to us. All during the MicroStation SE project,

> we kept a very close eye on *performance* in various aspects of the

product

> (including display) and anything like you're suggesting would certainly

have
> been investigated and resolved. If you can provide us with some test cases

> using the commercially available version (currently downloadable from

SELECT
> Stream at http://www.bentley.com/select/index.htm), we will certainly have

> them looked into. Feel free to send the steps you used to either our

> Worldwide Support Group (mailto:sup...@bentley.com) or even myself. HTH
>
> ============== One of "The People Behind MicroStation" ==============

> Phil Chouinard - ITO (610) 458-5000 v (610) 458-1060 f
> Bentley Systems WWW: http://www.bentley.com
> 690 Pennsylvania Drive CompuServe: 75300,3376
> Exton, PA USA 19341-1136 mailto:Phil.Ch...@Bentley.com

> ================= "Engineering the Future Together" =================

L Miles

Dec 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/5/97

The first thing I noticed was SE seems to take a lot longer in sending a
plot to my local printer using printer.plt driver. Maybe this is a file
size issue, but I don't think so since this is no bigger than other
files I've plotted -- I'll let you know when I compare some files I have
plotted before with the old version.

-- =

Louise Miles, Agora Architects

If you're a legitimate correspondent, reply by removing the 7
before erols.com. Please, no SPAM -- we don't read it anyway!

Thomas Voghera wrote:
> [...]

SELECT
> > Stream at http://www.bentley.com/select/index.htm), we will certainly=

have
> > them looked into. Feel free to send the steps you used to either our

> > Worldwide Support Group (mailto:sup...@bentley.com) or even myself. =
HTH

> > =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D One of "The People Behind=
MicroStation" =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
> > Phil Chouinard - ITO (610) 458-5000 v (610) 458-1060 =
> > Bentley Systems WWW: http://www.bentley.co=
> > 690 Pennsylvania Drive CompuServe: 75300,337=
6
> > Exton, PA USA 19341-1136 mailto:Phil.Ch...@Bentley.co=
> > =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D "Engineering the=
Future Together" =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Phil Chouinard [Bentley]

Dec 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/8/97

Thomas Voghera wrote in message <3485FD...@ibm.net>...

I've just installed SE. Over my old version. Nothing else done.
It's slower heare now on my system. NTv4sp3swedish.

Panning, updating, changing files, exchange to reffile getting a command
active and such so slow I probably copy back my full 95 when starting to
work tomorrow.

I've heard of a few others here in Sweden with same problem.

When the command is active the SE feels normal. Does SE asks for more
memory. I have 48MB.

The installation didn't "take" some of my old preferences; ctrl-Z, open

two windows and maybe more.

Any ideas?

Thomas Voghera

BTW
The new coloured icons look a little bit like a Christmas tree. Good
timing!

======

Thomas: Can't say that I've personally seen what you describe (FWIW, have
been trying all sorts of different scenarios over the weekend and things are
just as *fast*, if not faster with MicroStation SE than with MicroStation
95.) Not to say that you're not seeing what you're seeing, but I simply
can't repro it. Just to be sure though, a copy of this is being forwarded to
our Support group (as mentioned previously) so that this can be looked into
some more.

Chris Zakrewsky

Dec 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/9/97

This is the Image-manager problem. Deactivate it by renaming its
configuration file in \config\appl from .CFG to .BAK, restart uStn and it
will run full-speed.

(Thnx Thomas V. / Trond M. for this tip)
--
Remaining With Our Very Best Regards,

/Chris Zakrewsky
| ch...@cadperf.se http://www.ustation.se |
| CAD Perfect Development Lab Co. |
| Torpangsvagen 9, S-187 63 TABY, SWEDEN |
| Int'l. tel/fax +46 8 756 1353 |
| Bentley Sales Center, Independent Software Developer |

In article <66hrpv$2...@titan.bentley.com>,
"Phil Chouinard [Bentley]" <Phil.Ch...@Bentley.com> wrote:
[...]

> Thomas: Can't say that I've personally seen what you describe (FWIW, have
> been trying all sorts of different scenarios over the weekend and things are
> just as *fast*, if not faster with MicroStation SE than with MicroStation
> 95.) Not to say that you're not seeing what you're seeing, but I simply
> can't repro it. Just to be sure though, a copy of this is being forwarded to
> our Support group (as mentioned previously) so that this can be looked into
> some more.
>
> ============== One of "The People Behind MicroStation" ==============
> Phil Chouinard - ITO (610) 458-5000 v (610) 458-1060 f
> Bentley Systems WWW: http://www.bentley.com
> 690 Pennsylvania Drive CompuServe: 75300,3376
> Exton, PA USA 19341-1136 mailto:Phil.Ch...@Bentley.com
> ================= "Engineering the Future Together" =================

L Miles

Dec 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/10/97

Phil,

I believe I brought this SE problem to the attention of CSP, but I
haven't had any return calls from them lately and they kind of said it
was a WAD, so I wondered if you knew of it? It was as follows: In
previous versions, the TriForma toolbox is apparently designed to fit
neatly under the MS95 toolbox on the right hand of a 17" screen and
still allow for docking toolboxes, such as Accudraw or key-in box on the
bottom. When SE is installed and Accudraw is docked to the bottom, the
TriForma toolbox docks side by side with MS95 toolbox, thus taking up
precious screen real estate. I'm told this is because somebody decided
it would be nice to make it easier to move the toolboxes and so they put
"handles" on toolboxes. But the handles take up space, so now I have had
to eliminate and do without the benefit of two of the TriForma toolbar
buttons. Frankly, of all things that have been difficult about
Microstation, grabbing toolboxes is not one of them -- I, for one, never
move the usta or TF toolboxes anyway -- and I would rather be able to
fit as much as possible into my limited space. Can we vote for a recall
on this feature?
--
Louise Miles, Agora Architects

If you're a legitimate correspondent, reply by removing the 7
before erols.com. Please, no SPAM -- we don't read it anyway!

Mike McSween

Dec 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/10/97

L Miles <agor...@7erols.com> wrote:

| I'm told this is because somebody decided it would be
|nice to make it easier to move the toolboxes and so they put
|"handles" on toolboxes.

That somebody is Microsoft as these tool handles are a part of the
Office 97 and IE 4.0 standard. Bentley did not invent these but is
rather just following that standard.

Regards,
Mike [Bentley]

L Miles

Dec 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/10/97

I hear you, but something perhaps needs to happen so that everything
fits once more. I'm wondering if they could give precedence to the
toolboxes docked on the left side instead of forcing them to give way to
the toolboxes docked on the bottom. If so, there would be plenty of
room for all of them.

Thomas Voghera

Dec 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/10/97

Phil

Deactivating the Imagemanager helps a lot!

Thomas