Need help with Cut And Paste Between Sessions of Microstation

RECE...@worldnet.att.net

Nov 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/4/98
I am rather new to MicroStation. I have been using it only a few months
after years of using AutoCad. I am use to being able to having two sessions
of the Cad package open with two seperate drawings, and being able to
cut and paste the geometry and text I want between the two. I have been
unable to do this with MicroStation. All I am able to copy between sessions
is text. After selecting the geometry and text I want, I can open the
Clipboard viewer in MicroStation and it shows me exaclty what I selected.
However, when I paste into the other session all it brings over is the text.
I am hoping this is just a settings problem. I have searched thru the
manuals that came with the software but have been unable to find any
thing that would fix this problem. Can someone tell me how to get it to
work,
or even tell me if MicroStation has this capability.
Please do not tell me about referancing one drawing into another. I know
about that. Cut and paste is alot less time consuming.
Thankyou -

Rece...@worldnet.att.net

Ray Trivoli

Nov 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/4/98
RECEIVER,

To successfully operate clipboard copy in microstation there are a few things
new microstation users must remember. When you tell microstation to paste the
elements from the clipboard, microstation brings them in at the active angle,
active scale, and it keeps their original attributes (i.e. color, weight, line
style, and LEVEL). Make sure that the level the clipboard elements are on is
turned "ON" in the new (one you are pasting to) drawing.

If you are running windows NT and have enough memory it is possible to run two
sessions of microstation. But i don't recommend it.

Good Luck,
Ray Trivoli
Transportation Engineer

RECE...@worldnet.att.net wrote:

> Thankyou.

Kurt Noble

Nov 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/4/98
Is there some reason you need to have 2 sessions of MicroStation open?

Referencing files is not difficult or time consuming. You are missing
one of the best features of MicroStation.

If the two files are in the same directory, all you need to do is type
in 'rf=filename.dgn' and hit a reset. Fit the view. If they are in
different locations either keyin 'reference file move' and move it
where you want it, or open another window: one centered on the active
file, one on the reference file. Then simply turn Reference FIle
Locate 'on' and copy the desired elements into the active file.

<RECE...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>I am rather new to MicroStation. I have been using it only a few months
>after years of using AutoCad. I am use to being able to having two sessions
>of the Cad package open with two seperate drawings, and being able to
>cut and paste the geometry and text I want between the two. I have been
>unable to do this with MicroStation. All I am able to copy between sessions
>is text. After selecting the geometry and text I want, I can open the
>Clipboard viewer in MicroStation and it shows me exaclty what I selected.
>However, when I paste into the other session all it brings over is the text.
>I am hoping this is just a settings problem. I have searched thru the
>manuals that came with the software but have been unable to find any
>thing that would fix this problem. Can someone tell me how to get it to
>work,
>or even tell me if MicroStation has this capability.
>Please do not tell me about referancing one drawing into another. I know
>about that. Cut and paste is alot less time consuming.

>Thankyou -

>Rece...@worldnet.att.net

Brad King

Nov 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/4/98
This is a good example of trying to use Microstation like you would
Autocad..
There is usually a better method for Microstation..It may mean learning
something
new.. but 99.9% of the time it is just plain better.

>>>Please do not tell me about referancing one drawing into another. I know
>>>about that. Cut and paste is alot less time consuming.

It seems alot less time consuming because you are used to doing it
that way in Autocad. If you train yourself to use a new technique it
will eventually be just as fast as the old way..or faster !!

When people were first introduced to CAD they said "Hey I can do that
on the board a heck of a lot faster".."It is a lot less time consuming for
me to use the drawing board"... And then they learned a new techniqe...
CAD !!....Now what about that drawing board ?????...lol....

I know you do not want to hear this but....

In Autocad the cut n' paste method would be the most efficient way of doing
this, but only due to its inept reference functionality. In Microstation
just reference
the file in and then copy what you want from the reference file. Could'nt
due that
in Autocad huh ?

BTW:
I am an old time Autocad user myself (ssshhhh ! don't tell anyone). I had
to learn this lesson the hard way.

======================================
Brad King
Structural Designer / Cadd Coordinator
Gresham, Smith and Partners
======================================
E-mail: bk...@gspnet.com (work)
WWW: http://www.gspnet.com
======================================
RECE...@worldnet.att.net wrote in article
<71o83n$h...@bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>...

> I am rather new to MicroStation. I

<snip>

Gino Cortesi

Nov 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/4/98

Although, it will work with 2 sessions I find that MicroStation switches
files so fast, that you can really do this with one session effectively.

Another little tidbit is that you can use a tentative point to define the
origin of the clipboard before you copy.

So you select some elements, define a tentative point (same as snapping),
and then Edit/Copy. Then when you Edit/Paste it will use the origin you
defined.

Gino

Ray Trivoli wrote in message <36404ED6...@odot.dot.ohio.gov>...

>RECEIVER,
>
>To successfully operate clipboard copy in microstation there are a few
things
>new microstation users must remember. When you tell microstation to paste
the
>elements from the clipboard, microstation brings them in at the active
angle,
>active scale, and it keeps their original attributes (i.e. color, weight,
line
>style, and LEVEL). Make sure that the level the clipboard elements are on
is
>turned "ON" in the new (one you are pasting to) drawing.
>
>If you are running windows NT and have enough memory it is possible to run
two
>sessions of microstation. But i don't recommend it.
>
>Good Luck,
>Ray Trivoli
>Transportation Engineer
>
>RECE...@worldnet.att.net wrote:
>

>> I am rather new to MicroStation. I have been using it only a few months

>> after years of using AutoCad. I am use to being able to having two

sessions
>> of the Cad package open with two seperate drawings, and being able to

>> cut and paste the geometry and text I want between the two. I have been
>> unable to do this with MicroStation. All I am able to copy between
sessions
>> is text. After selecting the geometry and text I want, I can open the
>> Clipboard viewer in MicroStation and it shows me exaclty what I selected.
>> However, when I paste into the other session all it brings over is the
text.
>> I am hoping this is just a settings problem. I have searched thru the
>> manuals that came with the software but have been unable to find any
>> thing that would fix this problem. Can someone tell me how to get it to
>> work,
>> or even tell me if MicroStation has this capability.

>> Please do not tell me about referancing one drawing into another. I know
>> about that. Cut and paste is alot less time consuming.

>> Thankyou.

David Norris

Nov 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/5/98

Another method would be to create a cell, and place it into the second
drawing..........

<RECE...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>I am rather new to MicroStation. I have been using it only a few months
>after years of using AutoCad. I am use to being able to having two sessions
>of the Cad package open with two seperate drawings, and being able to
>cut and paste the geometry and text I want between the two. I have been
>unable to do this with MicroStation. All I am able to copy between sessions
>is text. After selecting the geometry and text I want, I can open the
>Clipboard viewer in MicroStation and it shows me exaclty what I selected.
>However, when I paste into the other session all it brings over is the text.
>I am hoping this is just a settings problem. I have searched thru the
>manuals that came with the software but have been unable to find any
>thing that would fix this problem. Can someone tell me how to get it to
>work,
>or even tell me if MicroStation has this capability.
>Please do not tell me about referancing one drawing into another. I know
>about that. Cut and paste is alot less time consuming.

>Thankyou -
>
>Rece...@worldnet.att.net

David Norris
Lucasville, OH

Simon Wurster

Nov 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/6/98
to RECE...@worldnet.att.net
Hi Receiver,
Are trying to cut and paste from a 2-D file to a 3-D file (or vice versa --
can't remember)? Doing this won't work in MicroStation. Files need to be the
same dimension.

HTH,
Simon

schenk

Nov 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/6/98
Cut And Paste Between Sessions of Microstation, dont get out of
Microstation, try using the key in xd=

You are in a file named a.dgn and want to cut from this file and
past into a file named b.dgn

Use xd=b.dgn to change file, and you will
have all of your cut elements and text in the Microstation clip board.

ps This is a key in command.
--
Surf Usenet at home, on the road, and by email -- always at Talkway.
http://www.talkway.com

Greg Young

Nov 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/6/98
Simon

I also thought this may have been the problem but I was able to reproduce
the events as Receiver describes between 2d files ie: the clipboard shows
the elements and text selected but if you start another session of Ustation
the contents of the clipboard changes to display text only.
Not that I would use the clipboard over reference files but does anyone know
why
the clipboard behaves this way?

regards

Greg

Benjamin Kemp

Nov 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/6/98
Hey Guys,

I get the same thing. When another session of MS(95) is started, the
clipboard dumps all the graphics, displaying text only.

I use cut & paste between files (and within the same file) all the time,
but have always avoided having multiple sessions of MS running
simultaneously. The manual says its ok, but (to me) it seems to invite
trouble. So I copy, open target file, paste. This works well for simple
copying. If the elements are not easily put into a selection set, it
pays to set up a ref and do it that way.

Also, my finding is that, when going between 2D and 3D files (either
way) all elements will be dumped from the clipboard, and any attempt to
paste results in MDL error.

Bjmn

Simon Wurster

Nov 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/7/98
Hi Greg and All,
I believe the answer may lie in which "clipboard" MicroStation is using. Between
files of the same session, MicroStation uses the clipbrd.ma. But between
different sessions, I believe the sessions use Windows clipboard, much like
pasting from Visio to WordPerfect. (Actually, the Windows NT clipboard my give
the "hand-off" to the MicroStation clipboard.) Now to speculate further, the
Windows clipboard may only recognize the text contained in the selection set. It
doesn't know what lines are. But the MicroStation clipboard knows all about
elements and text, so it pastes both perfectly.

HTH,
Simon

Greg Young wrote:

> Simon
>
> I also thought this may have been the problem but I was able to reproduce
> the events as Receiver describes between 2d files ie: the clipboard shows
> the elements and text selected but if you start another session of Ustation
> the contents of the clipboard changes to display text only.
> Not that I would use the clipboard over reference files but does anyone know
> why
> the clipboard behaves this way?
>
> regards
>
> Greg