MicroStation - AutoCad color table

Dave Preston

Jan 6, 2001, 1:07:09 PM1/6/01
Here's one for Sam.
I am translating approximately 200 drawings from MicroStation to AutoCad.
One thing that causes a problem is the fact that the MicroStation and
AutoCad color tables are different i.e. white is color 0 in MicroStation
color.tbl (the default), and color 7 in AutoCAD, and Bentley appear not to
have provided a tbl file for this. This problem is complicated by the fact
that the kind MicroStation randomly changed the color palette in some
drawings. Has anyone found, or can think of a good solution to this, other
than manually comparing colors, and creating the custom tbl file.

--
Regards
Dave Preston.

mike_s...@my-deja.com

Jan 6, 2001, 5:44:06 PM1/6/01
Isn't there a facility to load the drawing with the AutoCad drawings
own colour table, or to map each AutoCAD colour to a MicroStation
colour on import?

In article <937msp$4mm$1...@news5.svr.pol.co.uk>,

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Dave Preston

Jan 7, 2001, 4:23:15 AM1/7/01
Yes, but I am exporting, where that option does not exist.

--
Regards
Dave Preston.
Software Development Engineer
C.A.Design Services Ltd
e-mail : dpre...@cadesign.demon.co.uk
www : www.cadesign.demon.co.uk

<mike_s...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

Thomas Voghera

Jan 7, 2001, 6:30:31 AM1/7/01
Dave
If I've understood acad correctly they don't use lineweights up to
r14, and use to plot colour to linewidth.

If your client wants fixed colours there is tbl for that
SETTINGS>COLOR...

But they usually prefer colours "Bylayer". (Use levelsymbology and in
SETTINGS>GENERAL check "source view" and in "more" "line weight as:
Ignore" (eh, check this, it was some time since)

There is a good manual on this: http://docs.bentley.com/dl.asp FILE
PORTABILITY

regards
Thomas V

Thomas Voghera, TVAK
Box 8215, 163 08 SPÃ…NGA, SWEDEN
Tel +46 8 56471414 Fax +46 8 795 7587 Mob +46 7069 71414
e-mail: thomas....@telia.com

Dave Preston

Jan 7, 2001, 2:46:43 PM1/7/01
I understand everything that you say, but it is colours that are important
to the client, as they are fire plans with colour coded symbols. The problem
is, there is not an AutoCad color table supplied, and even if there were the
colors have been customised in these design files.

--
Regards
Dave Preston.
Software Development Engineer
C.A.Design Services Ltd
e-mail : dpre...@cadesign.demon.co.uk
www : www.cadesign.demon.co.uk

"Thomas Voghera" <thomas....@telia.com> wrote in message

Thomas Voghera

Jan 7, 2001, 4:06:52 PM1/7/01
Dave
perhaps you can plott to pdf !?

If the hue is that importand I guess you have to go to acad and create
the colours and then use that file as seedfile and make a table in
SETTINGS>COLOR that connects your dgnelements CO=number to
dwgcolornumber

MbeColorTable.addImportEntryFromFile
"D:\Bentley\Workspace\system\tables\dwg\dwgcolor.tbl"

Thomas V

On Sun, 7 Jan 2001 19:46:43 -0000, "Dave Preston"

AKSeidel

Jan 7, 2001, 5:28:51 PM1/7/01
Dave,

Does not the "MbeDWGExportSettings.useColorMapping = MBE_On" switch in
the dwg.bas file and a proper color mapping *.tbl accomplish the task?
This is mentioned in the Appendix A:DWG.BAS manual.

Allan

Dave Preston

Jan 7, 2001, 6:02:05 PM1/7/01
I'm sorry Thomas, but I don't see what the PDF comment relates to.
I have created a table, purely by matching the colours from AutoCad and
MicroStation by eye, but I thought there should be an easier way.

--
Regards
Dave Preston.
Software Development Engineer
C.A.Design Services Ltd
e-mail : dpre...@cadesign.demon.co.uk
www : www.cadesign.demon.co.uk

"Thomas Voghera" <thomas....@telia.com> wrote in message

Dave Preston

Jan 7, 2001, 5:59:40 PM1/7/01
Yes, but it's getting the colour mappings. None of the Bentley supplied ones
reflect the AutoCad colors, so the only way I can think of is to manually
match up the colours by eye, and create the mapping table.

--
Regards
Dave Preston.
Software Development Engineer
C.A.Design Services Ltd
e-mail : dpre...@cadesign.demon.co.uk
www : www.cadesign.demon.co.uk

"AKSeidel" <akse...@swbell.net> wrote in message

Thomas Voghera

Jan 7, 2001, 7:54:16 PM1/7/01
You can print colour pdf-files in the case the client doesn't need
editable dwg-files.

Sorry I took the wrong line from the dwgcontrol.bas.
Allen is probably right about that line.

Thomas V

On Sun, 7 Jan 2001 23:02:05 -0000, "Dave Preston"

mike_s...@my-deja.com

Jan 7, 2001, 7:50:36 PM1/7/01
Dave,
Heck, if you're defeated by this, what chance for the rest of us!
Can you use a macro or mdl to select elements by attributes using the
RGB values and then changing color to a specific color number and then
assign a standard color table? Incidentally, is there a way of finding
out which colors have been used in a drawing as you can with layers?
Mike.

In article <93asho$696$1...@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk>,

ej...@my-deja.com

Jan 7, 2001, 8:21:34 PM1/7/01
Hi Dave,

Let me give this s shot.

Try Importing the template drawing (I think this is what Thomas is
refering to) "Chroma.dwg" under the AutoCAD Support directory with the
Color Palette set to "AutoCAD" Once the drawing is imported the Color
table will be set for AutoCAD colors. You can then save the table. I
think it's pretty close. You can then export to AutoCAD using mapped
colors. Now of course you know that this only affects the display
colors and not plotted colors. For MicroStation to plot AutoCAD colors
you will have to create a rgb color map in your plot config file.

HTH,

John Ratliff

In article <93asho$696$1...@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk>,

Pennc

Jan 7, 2001, 11:36:52 PM1/7/01
My believe is that the A/E/C CADD Standard by The CADD/GIS Technology Center
has the answer to this problem, because they have created a
Microstation/AutoCad compatible color table. Have you already tried them?
http://tsc.wes.army.mil/

"Dave Preston" <da...@davepreston.greatxscape.net> wrote in message

Dave Preston

Jan 8, 2001, 2:57:11 AM1/8/01
No, but is it a MicroStation color table (which is binary and cannot be
edited), or an ASCII file that holds translation mappings ?

--
Regards
Dave Preston.
Software Development Engineer
C.A.Design Services Ltd
e-mail : dpre...@cadesign.demon.co.uk
www : www.cadesign.demon.co.uk

"Pennc" <pe...@idas.net> wrote in message

Dave Preston

Jan 8, 2001, 3:01:56 AM1/8/01
Thanks Thomas, but the job is to translate the files for the client to use
in AutoCad. Basically, what they see in MicroStation they want to see the
same in AutoCad, but the correct color takes priority over weight.

--
Regards
Dave Preston.
Software Development Engineer
C.A.Design Services Ltd
e-mail : dpre...@cadesign.demon.co.uk
www : www.cadesign.demon.co.uk

"Thomas Voghera" <thomas....@telia.com> wrote in message

Dave Preston

Jan 8, 2001, 2:59:23 AM1/8/01
Hi Mike,
I have written a macro that went through all of the drawings to find the
colours - just to save me manually mapping 256 colours.
I could probably work out the RGB, but how do I get the RGB from the AutoCad
palette ?

--
Regards
Dave Preston.
Software Development Engineer
C.A.Design Services Ltd
e-mail : dpre...@cadesign.demon.co.uk
www : www.cadesign.demon.co.uk

<mike_s...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

Dave Preston

Jan 8, 2001, 3:12:56 AM1/8/01
I had already tried importing colorwh.dwg, but guess what - All the colours
match visually, but when you analyze red, which is AutoCad color1, it is in
fact color 0 - All the colors gave been shifted down by 1 !!. I'll report
this to Bentley.
The other problem is that a MicroStation color table is a binary file, so
cannot be edited like a color mapping translation table, which is ASCII
text. I need to do this, as the creators of the MicroStation files
customised the colors in MicroStation, just to make life even more
difficult.

Thanks to everyone for their efforts.

--
Regards
Dave Preston.
Software Development Engineer
C.A.Design Services Ltd
e-mail : dpre...@cadesign.demon.co.uk
www : www.cadesign.demon.co.uk

CADDCOP

Jan 8, 2001, 8:18:40 AM1/8/01
In article <93bs5t$7iq$1...@news8.svr.pol.co.uk>,

> > ******************************************************************
> > Thomas Voghera, TVAK
> > Box 8215, 163 08 SPÅŽGA, SWEDEN

> > Tel +46 8 56471414 Fax +46 8 795 7587 Mob +46 7069 71414
> > e-mail: thomas....@telia.com
> > ******************************************************************

In AutoCAD bylayer is really color 255 and byblock is color 0. make
sure your mapping table has both bylayer and byblock and I believe you
won't get the numeric shift that you described. Been there done that!
--
Chuck Rheault (c_rheault[at]gpinet[dot]com)
Greenman-Pedersen, Inc.

Allan Seidel

Jan 8, 2001, 9:30:09 AM1/8/01
Dave,
Translate one of their DWG's to get the AutoCAD color table.  Then use  drwctabl.bas ( drwctabl at members.aol.com/akseidel) to make a visual/RGB number record of the table.  You will then be able to decide which values to map.  I think I understand your problem.  It is not that the elements are to have certain colors based on the AutoCAD users requirements but that you want the translated elements to look the same (on the screen) as they did as Microstation elements.  You realize that you'll also have to have a special pen mapping setup on the AutoCAD side to get the weights right when plotted.

The Drafting Shop

Jan 8, 2001, 2:35:24 PM1/8/01
Dave, at the risk of suggesting something you might have tried already, when
the dwg files come out of Microstation, are the colours the same on each
drawing? ie would layer 24 always be orange for example? If so, and if you
have a copy of Autocad (if not, download Intellicad from www.cadopia.com)
could you write a batch script for Autocad that would convert all layers,
colours, linetypes to the autocad standard? Check www.cadalog.com to see if
there is a utility to allow you to do this.

Anyway, it is just an idea, probably not ideal as it involves using Autocad
or Intellicad to get the end result.

Regards,

Michael John Smyth
The Drafting Shop

in...@thedraftingshop.com
http://www.thedraftingshop.com

Dave Preston <da...@davepreston.greatxscape.net> wrote in message

Pennc

Jan 8, 2001, 3:56:50 PM1/8/01
Someone in The CADD/GIS Technology Center, who prepared the A/E/C CADD
Standard, has painstakingly mapped the all of the AutoCad 255 default colors
into the Microstation 255 Default Color Table (to the closest match) and set
it as "Comparison Standard". It is in form of a TABLE. You have to modified
the texts in the table into ASCII that can be used in translation mapping.

But, as you know, AutoCad default 255 colors are much more "detailed" than
those in Microstation default color table. I know that the CADD/GIS
Technology Center has the "exact" RGB values of each individual color in
AutoCad 255 default colors. Therefore, they may already have created the
(binary) customized detail version of Microstation's Color Table file -- so
that it would be possible for the translation to become "exact" match in
term of colors.

Since you are only translating from Microstation default into AutoCad
default (AutoCad is more detail), then, you should not have the color
matching problem. You should be able to map the colors and open it AutoCad
with satisfactory result (better than original).

Dave Preston <da...@davepreston.greatxscape.net> wrote in message

Dave Preston

Jan 8, 2001, 4:44:48 PM1/8/01
Hi Chuck,
When I imported colorwh.dwg, I actually selected AutoCad rather than Mapping
Table from the Color Palette list, so I would have expected it to be
correct - a fair expectation I think ?.

--

"CADDCOP" <c_rh...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> > > ******************************************************************
> > > Thomas Voghera, TVAK

> > > Box 8215, 163 08 SPÃ…ZGA, SWEDEN

Dave Preston

Jan 8, 2001, 5:09:13 PM1/8/01
Thanks for the thought Michael.
We are AutoCad dealers, and are capable of writing scripts, VB, VBA,
AutoLisp etc etc., but the drawings are not consistent, and there is not a
layer to color relationship.
The people who drew the MicroStation drawings have even redefined duplicate
nested cells, with different origins etc, so this 'simple' (silly me)
translation has to turned into a difficult job.
At the end of this job, I will post my ever growing document 'A Translation
Guide - What The Manual Doesn't Tell You'.

--
Regards
Dave Preston.
Software Development Engineer
C.A.Design Services Ltd
e-mail : dpre...@cadesign.demon.co.uk
www : www.cadesign.demon.co.uk

"The Drafting Shop" <in...@thedraftingshop.com> wrote in message

ej...@my-deja.com

Jan 8, 2001, 7:41:27 PM1/8/01
Hi Dave,

Can't remember the actual post subject, but I recall a post where
someone created a macro/mdl that will create an ASCII of the color
table. Another way I can think of to get the rgb table out is to filter
it with a text editor from a hpgl/2 plot file. Just make a plot file
from the colorwh and you should see the pens defs at the start of the
file.

Yes, I do agree there should be a simple way to export rgb.

HTH,

John Ratliff

In article <93bsqg$7vl$1...@news8.svr.pol.co.uk>,

Matthew Taylor

Jan 8, 2001, 8:39:02 PM1/8/01

> Hi Mike,
> I have written a macro that went through all of the drawings to find the
> colours - just to save me manually mapping 256 colours.
> I could probably work out the RGB, but how do I get the RGB from the
AutoCad
> palette ?
>
> --
> Regards
> Dave Preston.
> Software Development Engineer
> C.A.Design Services Ltd
> e-mail : dpre...@cadesign.demon.co.uk
> www : www.cadesign.demon.co.uk

The data given below lists the RGB values of each of the AutoCAD colours if
this is what you mean.

Hope this helps,

Matthew

Jan 8, 2001, 8:42:49 PM1/8/01

> But, as you know, AutoCad default 255 colors are much more "detailed" than
> those in Microstation default color table. I know that the CADD/GIS
> Technology Center has the "exact" RGB values of each individual color in
> AutoCad 255 default colors. Therefore, they may already have created the
> (binary) customized detail version of Microstation's Color Table file --
so
> that it would be possible for the translation to become "exact" match in
> term of colors.
>
> Since you are only translating from Microstation default into AutoCad
> default (AutoCad is more detail), then, you should not have the color
> matching problem. You should be able to map the colors and open it AutoCad
> with satisfactory result (better than original).

But new colours can be created in MS, whereas Acad limits you to its list.

Matthew

Dave Preston

Jan 9, 2001, 4:15:23 PM1/9/01
Thanks Matthew,
Once I've worked out how to get the RGB from a MicroStation file / color
table, I can write a MS Basic macro to do the rest. If this is a problem
encountered by others, I will gladly post the macro when I've finished.
A colleague did this once to write the RGB values to a HPGL plt file, as
MicroStation only used the first 8 in the early days, so that may help.

--
Regards
Dave Preston.
Software Development Engineer
C.A.Design Services Ltd
e-mail : dpre...@cadesign.demon.co.uk
www : www.cadesign.demon.co.uk

"Matthew Taylor" <matthew....@NOSPAM.mtaylor.co.uk> wrote in message

Dave Preston

Jan 9, 2001, 4:18:00 PM1/9/01
I've just realised about the RGB in a HPGL file (in a post above), as a
colleague write something to do this a while back.
It's not a case of exporting RGB, users should not have to do any of this
for standard MicroStation to AutoCad color mapping.
Thanks for your time.

--
Regards
Dave Preston.
Software Development Engineer
C.A.Design Services Ltd
e-mail : dpre...@cadesign.demon.co.uk
www : www.cadesign.demon.co.uk

Keith Laurie

Jan 9, 2001, 4:43:43 PM1/9/01
Yes please!

Regards

Keith Laurie

"Dave Preston" <da...@davepreston.greatxscape.net> wrote in message

Allan Seidel

Jan 10, 2001, 9:44:53 AM1/10/01
Dave,

I guess I was not clear before. This is what drwctbl.bas does. It extracts the
RGB values from a color table and creates a dgn of color blocks annotated with
the RGB values so to have a visual record of the color table RGB and the actual
colors.

Allan

thed

Jan 10, 2001, 4:08:14 PM1/10/01
There are three bytes per color. One for red, one for green and one for
blue. I think
the first three bytes are for the background color and then it goes from
color 0
through 254. Note that 256*3=768 which is exactly the colortables filesize.

Dave Preston <da...@davepreston.greatxscape.net> schreef in berichtnieuws
93fv1k$1mm$1...@news5.svr.pol.co.uk...

CADDCOP

Jan 11, 2001, 8:10:30 AM1/11/01
In article <93dcco$52d$1...@news6.svr.pol.co.uk>,

"Dave Preston" <da...@davepreston.greatxscape.net> wrote:
> Hi Chuck,
> When I imported colorwh.dwg, I actually selected AutoCad rather than
Mapping
> Table from the Color Palette list, so I would have expected it to be
> correct - a fair expectation I think ?.
>
> --
> Regards
> Dave Preston.
> Software Development Engineer
> C.A.Design Services Ltd
> e-mail : dpre...@cadesign.demon.co.uk
> www : www.cadesign.demon.co.uk

Yes Dave, you would think so.

We tried round tripping a file and got the color shift you experienced.
Took us quite a few hoops and jumps to figure that one out.

We're doing some photogammetric mapping where we have a sub using some
other package that supports DWG but not DGN, so we were doing a double
translation and back again. And we actually got it working.

Dave Preston

Jan 11, 2001, 2:12:34 PM1/11/01
Thanks Allan, I'll give it a go.

--
Regards
Dave Preston.
Software Development Engineer
C.A.Design Services Ltd
e-mail : dpre...@cadesign.demon.co.uk
www : www.cadesign.demon.co.uk

"Allan Seidel" <ase...@primary.net> wrote in message

Dave Preston

Jan 11, 2001, 2:26:11 PM1/11/01
That was the easy bit.
Now I've got to deal with the fact that filled shapes do not get filled when
translated- (except 3/4 sided to solids). God only knows why, as AutoCad has
supported solid fill using the hatch command since R14.
As well as the color filled areas, which I will have to do manually, I knew
I would have to remake AutoCad blocks, where the MicroStation cells had
complex shapes with color fills.I though it would not be too difficult -Find
the cells that have a colour fill, remake the block in AutoCad, insert with
blockname= and voila, they all get redefined like a shared cell. There were
48 of these blocks, so I did all this in a script that processed the 200
drawings automatically.
I had allowed for this when I estimated the job, but what I did not realise
was that the daft bu****s that did the MicroStation drawings had redefined
some of the cells numerous times, some at different scales, some with
different origins, and some with duplicate nested cells.
I had to correct the nested cells and retranslate, as MicroStation ignores
them, and this included nearly every door in every drawing.
The scale / origin redefinition means what should be the same symbol appears
correctly in some locations, and sometimes scaled and / or shifted in
others.

Happy days.