reg documentation for automatic layout router

noreply

Jun 22, 2009, 5:35:32 AM6/22/09
HI all,
where can i find the documentation for the layout router.
Thanks and regards,
lokesh rajendran.

Tarek

Jun 22, 2009, 9:37:22 AM6/22/09
You're referring to Cadence IC Craftsman? See /ICC/doc/iccausr/
iccausr.pdf

Andrew Beckett

Jun 23, 2009, 12:53:35 PM6/23/09
Tarek wrote, on 06/22/09 14:37:

> You're referring to Cadence IC Craftsman? See /ICC/doc/iccausr/
> iccausr.pdf

Or are you referring to Encounter? Or are you referring to Virtuoso Space Based
Router? Or are you referring to a PCB router, or are you referring to Nanoroute?
(I could go on).

You really need to be explicit!

Andrew.

noreply

Jun 24, 2009, 1:47:24 AM6/24/09

> Or are you referring to Encounter? Or are you referring to Virtuoso Space Based
> Router? Or are you referring to a PCB router, or are you referring to Nanoroute?
> (I could go on).
>
> You really need to be explicit!
>
> Andrew.

Hi andrew,
I'm sorry i didn't mention things clearly(which i realised only after
you asked the question).
Andrew ,
I'm trying for some layout automation stuff in Cadence virtuoso. By
automation i mean automatic placement of instances from schematic in
the layout view (of course this virtuoso xl does) and then routing.I'm
stuck at the point of how to do routing between the instances that are
placed.
Could you please suggest me how to go about it?
Regards,
Lokesh rajendran.

noreply

Jun 24, 2009, 5:24:33 AM6/24/09
Hi andrew,
another quick question along with the above one..
Was there any tool from cadence called IC Craftsman?
Is that tool obsolete now?.(If so, i guess cadence must have given
another powerful tool that must have replaced it)
Thanks and regards,
Lokesh rajendran.

Andrew Beckett

Jun 24, 2009, 7:57:03 AM6/24/09
to noreply
noreply wrote, on 06/24/09 10:24:

The tool still exists, and is called the "Virtuoso Chip Assembly Router" (aka
"VCAR"). The IC Craftsman name was dropped many years ago (actually for boring
legal reasons). If using it in IC5141, you need to install the "ICC11241"
stream. In IC613 it's included with the IC release.

In IC613 you also have a newer router Virtuoso Spacebased Router (aka VSR) which
is based upon the "Cadence Spacebased Router". If using it within Virtuoso, it's
included in the IC stream.

VSR is more intended for small-geometry processes (e.g. 65nm and below) as it
has much more support for the complex design rules introduced in these nodes.

Regards,

Andrew.

Tarek

Jun 25, 2009, 8:08:03 PM6/25/09
Hi Andrew,

Whats the difference between "Virtuoso Custom Router" and "Cadence
Chip Assembly Router" (IC5141, icfb->tools->router->start router-
>...). Normally I start VCAR from VXL, but I noticed when I didn't add
ICC to my PATH and tried running the abovementioned tools they both
were looking for "vcar". If I remember correctly, they have different
interfaces.

(Aside: Is VPCD EOL? It was mentioned on designer's guide, no
confirmation from yourself tho).

Thanks,
Tarek

Andrew Beckett

Jun 26, 2009, 5:25:17 AM6/26/09
Tarek wrote, on 06/26/09 01:08:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> Whats the difference between "Virtuoso Custom Router" and "Cadence
> Chip Assembly Router" (IC5141, icfb->tools->router->start router-
>> ...). Normally I start VCAR from VXL, but I noticed when I didn't add
> ICC to my PATH and tried running the abovementioned tools they both
> were looking for "vcar". If I remember correctly, they have different
> interfaces.
>
> (Aside: Is VPCD EOL? It was mentioned on designer's guide, no
> confirmation from yourself tho).
>
> Thanks,
> Tarek

Just different names for the same thing. There was at some point a license
difference, but I don't think that's the case any more.

And VPCD is end-of-lifed since the latter part of last year.

I'm a few weeks behind on Designer's Guide - been a bit busy recently.

Andrew.