I need help from an expert- on 3d solids (a crane hook)

Lazero

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
Hi i am a student and i am working on a cad project in 3d and my problem is the
thing i need to do is the crane hook and i don't know how to make that shape of
the hook its stelf becauce it is a weird shape and changes size and shape can
any body help me. please mail me at Laz...@aol.com

CSchlim

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
Ask your instructor...part of a project is to learn how to do it
yourself....ask your instructor!!!

Cathy Schlim
AutoCAD Instructor

Dennis Shinn

Oct 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/21/98
Greetings

laz...@aol.com (Lazero) posted the following

This type of object is extremely dificult to model with AutoCAD "out of the
box" but can be done. As was suggested, however, your mission is to
discover how to do it.

Mike Warner

Oct 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/21/98
You're the best Dennis.

Mike Warner

rhbenson

Oct 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/24/98
It is obvious the other responders to your request have not undertaken such
a task, are lazy, or are ignorant. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a
student asking others with more experience how to accomplish this, and I
applaud your initiative and insight as to where to seek an answer.

To do a true representation of such a shape in AutoCAD, any version, with
solids, is impossible. The reason is the version of the ACIS modeling
kernel used by AutoCAD does not have the capability. It can be done with
MDT, however, with lofted or scultured solids.

The best you can do is a close approximation. Start with the hook profile
as a closed polyline, extrude it to the thickness desired, then apply a
radius to the exposed edges (the size of the radius cannot exceed any radius
size of the hook profile, or the radius function will fail). Similarly, you
can also combine separate extruded and swept quarter elliptical profiles (of
the same size, the long axis of the quarter elliptical shape not exceeding
half the cross section of the hook) to form half the thickness of the hook.
Union these together, rotate your UCS, and create a closed polyline shape
profile of any voids left, and extrude these to the short axis of the
quarter ellipse. Union these with the other hook solids, mirror your
completed half-shape, and mirror the two halves. You may run into problems
with this last approach, depending on how accurately you sized and aligned
your quarter-elliptical solid segments; they have to match perfectly, both
dimensionally and with their placement.

One caution, though; except for the first approach, such an endeavor is
somewhat beyond the student level (there are long-time CAD drafters that are
incapable of accomplishing this task), and I would question if your
instructor really intended for you to do this portion of the project without
some additional aid.

Rio Benson

Dennis Shinn

Oct 25, 1998, 2:00:00 AM10/25/98
Greetings

"rhbenson" <rhbe...@usiway.net> posted the following

>It is obvious the other responders to your request have not undertaken such
>a task, are lazy, or are ignorant.

Congratulations. When this person graduates I hope you're around to hire
him. You can continue holding his hand.

Of the folks I recognize that have replied in a like manner, I suggest you
review their past history of offering support in this newsgroup. I think
you'll find they're neither lazy nor ignorant.

Adrian

Oct 25, 1998, 2:00:00 AM10/25/98
On 20 Oct 1998 19:33:30 GMT, laz...@aol.com
(Lazero) wrote:

>Hi i am a student and i am working on a cad project in 3d and my problem is the
>thing i need to do is the crane hook and i don't know how to make that shape of
>the hook its stelf becauce it is a weird shape and changes size and shape can
>any body help me. please mail me at Laz...@aol.com

Hello Lazero

Dont know of an easy way to solve your hook
problem with use of solids, but try the surface
command 'edgesurf' and you will probably get
results.

First draw the inner and outer edges, at the
centreline, of your hook between its neck and
just short of the tip (Use two plines). These
become two of the four lines needed by edgesurf.

Then draw a semi section at the neck and at the
tip in the same plane, before rotateing these
semi-sections at 90 degrees (rotate each on a
line drawn between the start and finish for each
semi section - try using simple arcs for these
semi-sections to get the idea. Make sure the
start/ends of each arc and the ends of each pair
of plines all connect accurately.

Use edgesurf to draw a surface which you then
mirror to give you a 3D hook without a tip, which
can then be created with another surface - perhaps
needing mirroring too.

I saw all this demonstrated in an AutoCAD textbook
once (pre R13) and tried it out in order to copy
the sample of a HOOK that was given - it
definately can be made to work.

Have fun

Adrian

egajen...@gmail.com

Feb 22, 2016, 9:52:49 AM2/22/16
On Tuesday, October 20, 1998 at 12:30:00 PM UTC+5:30, Lazero wrote:
> Hi i am a student and i am working on a cad project in 3d and my problem is the
> thing i need to do is the crane hook and i don't know how to make that shape of
> the hook its stelf becauce it is a weird shape and changes size and shape can
> any body help me. please mail me at Laz...@aol.com

Dear Friends,
crane hook shape is sreated only in "LOFT" Command.
First draw the diffent shape of profiles and create path line. then Enter "LOFT" COMMAND. select profile orders enter and select path line enter