Visretain is not updating color & linetype changes.

cumm...@bhcinternational.com

Jan 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/16/98

Here is how the drawing is built: Drawing "A" is XREFing base file "B".
Base file "B" contains only entities and no XREF's.

1. In drawing "A", "VISRETAIN" is used to save a view. 2. At a later
time, in the base file, we make changes to linetypes layer colors
(everything is linetype, color, etc. "BY LAYER"). We also add some new
layers and new entities to the base file. 3. When drawing "A" is opened
up again, and we restore the view saved using "VISRETAIN". The result of
this is that we can see the new layers and entities but NOT the CHANGED
linetypes and layer colors.

Does anybody know how to make it so that when you restore the view saved
in "VISRETAIN", we will see the updated linetypes and layer colors while
"VISRETAIN" does it's job of keeping the appropriate layers turned on and
off?

If you have any advice, please send your comments via email.

Thanks for any advice you may be able to offer!!!

Mike
cumm...@bhcinternational.com

Henry C. Francis

Jan 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/16/98

Since when does the variable VISRETAIN allow saving and
restoring anything? Isn't it a System variable that is either
"0" or "1"?

cumm...@bhcinternational.com wrote in article
<884625694....@dejanews.com>...

wallyb

Jan 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/16/98

yeah, i've gone round and round with this, too.

i think if you set visretain=1 then it works. look in the help file
for the logic.

this is a very ponderous and time consuming procedure..........

On Fri, 16 Jan 1998 05:42:10 -0600, cumm...@bhcinternational.com
wrote:

>Here is how the drawing is built: Drawing "A" is XREFing base file "B".
>Base file "B" contains only entities and no XREF's.
>
>1. In drawing "A", "VISRETAIN" is used to save a view. 2. At a later
>time, in the base file, we make changes to linetypes layer colors
>(everything is linetype, color, etc. "BY LAYER"). We also add some new
>layers and new entities to the base file. 3. When drawing "A" is opened
>up again, and we restore the view saved using "VISRETAIN". The result of
>this is that we can see the new layers and entities but NOT the CHANGED
>linetypes and layer colors.
>

>Does anybody know how to make it so that when you restore the view saved
>in "VISRETAIN", we will see the updated linetypes and layer colors while
>"VISRETAIN" does it's job of keeping the appropriate layers turned on and
>off?

Dennis Shinn

Jan 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/17/98

Greetings

cumm...@bhcinternational.com posted the following

>1. In drawing "A", "VISRETAIN" is used to save a view.

I *think* I understand your question however visretain isn't the command
for saving views. I suspect what you mean, and correct me if I'm wrong, is
that you saved the view with visretain set to "1". Likewise you restore a
saved view using the view command.

Now - if you set visretain on (10 then changes to layer settings in the
shild drawing aren't reflected in the parent when the parent is loaded. To
realize these changes, the simplest thing I've found is to turn visretain
off, reload the xref, then turn it back on again to retain the
modifications.

Does that come close to answering the question?

Vladimir Nesterovsky

Jan 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/19/98

Dennis -- the actual problem is this:
if you have VISRETAIN set to 0 then your changes
to layers in base file will be updated OK in XREF,
BUT -- any settings for current VIEWPORT's layers
will be FORGOTTEN -- to keep them, you must have
VISRETAIN set to 1, but then your layers setting
won't update. IMHO it's among biggest scre*ups that Adesk
has introduced to us with R14 (most funny is they want
us to believe it's an improvement).

IT'S A LOSE-LOSE situation.

One solution would be to keep Visretain 'On' and
use some custom program to restore Viewport layers settings.
You may put it into S::STARTUP so it will be done
automatically on DWG open.
I have such an utility as a part of my big commercial app,
but to dig it out would require some efforts.

Another way, like Dennis proposed, would be:
1. open file with Visretain set to 1
2. reset it to 0
3. reload xref
4. reset Visretain back to 1
5. save the file.
-- although it will make some regens for you. :(

Good luck,

--
Live long and prosper :)
Vlad

Dennis Shinn

Jan 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/19/98

Greetings

Vladimir Nesterovsky <vne...@netvision.net.il> posted the following

>Dennis -- the actual problem is ...

I see your point, Vlad. I rarely change the visretain settings in my
drawings so hadn't noticed that, uhhmmmm,... feature.

Mark & Lynne Frost

Jan 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/19/98

The below mentioned newly introduced correlation between layers frozen in
current viewport and visretain is particularly disappointing to read. I
have long prefered the use of current viewport freeze to "remember" layer
setting, for the reason mentioned in the previous post re:layer colors and
linetypes not updating. I don't know how many times a day i am fixing users
grid lines that are xref'ing in continous instead of center... Our office
has a tendancy to leave visretain on (1), but it's been a slow process of
education to make users understand the dangers...

I recently have discovered (using r13) the current viewport settings are
saved or lost using visretain, and I am dismayed...

ps... changing topics, what happened to DDE (dynamic data exchange) in r13.
We use to use it in r12 for windows to import attibute data from autocad to
excel. In r13 do we have to use SQL? Is exporting data information now
much more involved?

Mark Frost, Portand, OR