The BBS days are long gone

Gactimus

Dec 4, 2004, 9:52:39 PM12/4/04
The internet killed them.

Conner Destron

Dec 4, 2004, 10:27:30 PM12/4/04
"Gactimus" wrote:
> The internet killed them.

I'd have to disagree.

--
-=Conner=-

--
Visit The Castle's Dungeon BBS at telnet://tcdbbs.zapto.org for some family
fun in a medieval setting, or come test your mettle in the Land of Legends,
our MUD, at telnet://tcdbbs.zapto.org:4000
For general info, visit http://www.tcdbbs.zapto.org

Gactimus

Dec 5, 2004, 7:39:16 AM12/5/04
"Conner Destron" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message news:<31fdh2F...@individual.net>...

> "Gactimus" wrote:
>
>> The internet killed them.
>
> I'd have to disagree.

Let's agree to disagree.

Conner Destron

Dec 5, 2004, 2:36:50 PM12/5/04
"Gactimus" wrote:

> "Conner Destron" wrote:
>> "Gactimus" wrote:
>>> The internet killed them.
>> I'd have to disagree.
> Let's agree to disagree.

I might be willing to do that to avoid having to engage in a debate over
something ridiculous, but I really can't believe that someone would want to
hurt the BBS scene this way. Perhaps that's because I am an active SysOp of
a BBS myself that has been around since 1992 and the popularity of the
internet actually increased my userbase dramatically from about 1996 through
1998, then I had to shut down my system for a few years due to personal
reasons, but when I brought it back up a little over a year ago as telnet
only, obviously my userbase has had to rebuild, but it has done so. Granted,
the rebuilding is slower as it seems these days more people are looking for
web browser interfaces and less people seem to know how to use a BBS, or
even what one is, but the community is still here and still growing.
-=Conner=-

Komunero

Dec 6, 2004, 7:24:50 AM12/6/04
­Hola Gactimus!

El S bado 04 Diciembre 2004 a las 18:52, Gactimus escribi¢ a All:

G> The internet killed them.

Hi, you are wrong, here a NEW BBS and a new FidoNet node (since
september), from Spain. BBS's are still alive :)

Saludos,

Komunero
FidoNet 2:341/201
telnet://pucelabbs.dyndns.org

Master George

Dec 9, 2004, 10:13:46 PM12/9/04

Hi.
You say you rebuilt your user base, where did you advertise? and how did
you attract new users? you are telnet only?

Alices.com

"Conner Destron" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

Conner Destron

Dec 10, 2004, 1:19:46 AM12/10/04
"Master George" wrote:
> Hi.
> You say you rebuilt your user base, where did you advertise? and how
> did
> you attract new users? you are telnet only?
>
> Alices.com
>
> "Conner Destron" wrote:
>> reasons, but when I brought it back up a little over a year ago as telnet
>> only, obviously my userbase has had to rebuild, but it has done so.

Hi Master George,
I've started to rebuild it, yes. So far, I've been rebuilding the old
fashioned way, word of mouth, mostly. Though I've also made sure that my
"signature" for newsgroups includes information about the BBS (see below)
and I've added the BBS to a list that is networked through the Dove-Net qwk
network. Suffice it to say, my user base is no where near what it was back
in 1998 when I shut down, but I've gotten back a pretty good starting base
going and it is slowly growing. I have considered posting an ad or two to
fidonet (via a friend who runs a fido hub), alt.bbs.ads and at BBSmates.com,
but have not done so yet because I'm not done with some of the major
overhaul style changes I'm making to the BBS. In it's last incarnation it
was strictly a pay bbs, catering exclusively to the adult only BDSM crowd,
but I'm reworking everything so that, when I'm done, it will be a family
oriented BBS with special areas set aside for adults only and certain areas
set aside for teens only and will offer extended access (time and special
extras) for paying customers but with general access to non-paying customers
too. And, yes, I'm telnet only because I've given up on the phone companies
completely as of about 2 years ago when I got rid of my home phone and
switched everything to just my cell phone.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Conner Destron

Dec 12, 2004, 10:31:43 PM12/12/04
<see.my.s...@nowhere.com.invalid> wrote in message
> On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 22:27:30 -0500, "Conner Destron" <m...@privacy.net>
> spewed:

>>"Gactimus" wrote:
>>> The internet killed them.
>>
>>I'd have to disagree.
>>
> I stupid web site calling itself a bbs is NOT a bbs, it's a WEB SITE!
> BBS implies local, stand alone.

Who said anything about a web site? My BBS is stand alone.

Conner Destron

Dec 12, 2004, 10:40:40 PM12/12/04
<see.my.s...@nowhere.com.invalid> wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 01:19:46 -0500, "Conner Destron" <m...@privacy.net>
> spewed:

>>going and it is slowly growing. I have considered posting an ad or two to
>>fidonet (via a friend who runs a fido hub), alt.bbs.ads and at
>>BBSmates.com,
>
> I can't even find how to access FIDO anymore!
> It looks like there's some on newservers, but they don't appear to really
> be when you check them.

Guess you've looked in the wrong places. My friend is the Sysop of a BBS, as
I am, but his BBS also happens to be a Fidonet hub. Try bbsmates.com or
google, there are still BBSs out there, maybe even local to you, if you look
for them.

>>too. And, yes, I'm telnet only because I've given up on the phone
>>companies
>>completely as of about 2 years ago when I got rid of my home phone and
>>switched everything to just my cell phone.
>

> Yup, I'd do that myself if I wasn't on dialup.

So switch to cable or satellite.

> There's even a new thing that can use your cell as a hub for regular house
> phones throughout the house. Kinda cool, but I think it's only for
> Motorola phones so far.

Sounds expensive.

> So if there are any BBS's that actually have a dial in phone #, where are
> they?! I don't find ANY local and haven't for years.

Where have you looked?

> What telnet-only destroys, is the fact that your users used to be local,
> so you could have meets, have a prayer of actually seeing the other users
> in person, have similar local topics to talk about, etc.

I will grant that, but then I also used to be able to run a pay only BBS,
now I wouldn't complain about non-local users for a few reasons. First off,
they're usually not paying for anything anyway. Secondly, where I live, no
one is local regardless. (I'm way out in the country...) Thirdly, I don't
believe, and never did, in restricting my user based community to locals
only. Even when I ran an ISP along side of my BBS, I had plenty of users
from very different parts of the country and a few from outside of the
country and occassionally, even they managed to make it to one of our meets.

> There's still a LITTLE of that nowadays, but you have to friggin kill
> yourself to find it, and it is a very VERY pale comparison to that of
> yesteryear.

True enough, but I don't think the internet did that to us, our society has
drifted away from people wanting to be personal with each other, and not
just in the BBS arena.

> Meetup.com is trying, best I've found yet for that feature, but 90% of the
> meets are cancelled because there's not enough people.

I wouldn't know about that.

Conner Destron

Dec 12, 2004, 10:42:38 PM12/12/04
<see.my.s...@nowhere.com.invalid> wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 15:24:50 CET, komu...@hotpop.com (Komunero) spewed:

>>­Hola Gactimus!
>>
>>El S bado 04 Diciembre 2004 a las 18:52, Gactimus escribi¢ a All:
>>
>> G> The internet killed them.
>>
>> Hi, you are wrong, here a NEW BBS and a new FidoNet node (since
>>september), from Spain. BBS's are still alive :)
>>
> Actually, that making my earlier point even better. SPAIN, not even on the
> same continent, or hemisphere! :(

Just because you don't have the patience to find a local BBS for yourself,
hardly justifies this rant. I think it's terrific that we still have BBSs,
even out of the country, just makes the community that much wider.

Clay G ucci

May 26, 2005, 1:33:48 AM5/26/05
I'm with you on that. Back then if it was even half decent you had to search
around for a NUP, then go online and apply. Maybe even go through a vote
<usually something like 3 no's vs 5 yes's to get you on>.

If we are talking about public boards, one poster above is right. I used to
love to get on a MBBS and meet people then goto the GT's.

I dont consider myself old, but I sometimes have to hold my tongue. Dont
want to slip up and say to my little brother (15 years younger) "I remember
we had to set dip switches just to tell the computer what com port the modem
was operating on, now you guys tell the modem what com port to operate on or
even better it is done seemlessly"

And dont get me into the Xmodem,Ymodem,Zmodem days. Kicking ass in Qmodem,
Telemate or even Telix. Hitting those 1k a second highs!!! Line noise
coming across the screen once in a while, hopefully it doesnt "No Carrier"
me.

Those were the days.
> On 4 Dec 2004 18:52:39 -0800, gact...@xrs.net (Gactimus) spewed:
>>The internet killed them.
>
> I totally agree :(
> To be more accurate, the fucking web. I HATE the web!
> I'd give it up in a sec. to get bbs's back.
> It's great for shopping and searching, but ZERO community - even where
> they try to.

Ant

Aug 20, 2018, 5:54:13 AM8/20/18
:(

--
Quote of the Week: "Look not to the windmill's turning while the ant still burrows." --unknown
/\___/\Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org / http://antfarm.ma.cx
| |o o| | ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and URL/link.
\ _ /
( )

Robert Wolfe

Sep 13, 2019, 10:36:33 PM9/13/19
-> From: ANT...@zimage.com (Ant)
-> Subject: Re: The BBS days are long gone
->
-> :(
->
-> Gactimus <gact...@xrs.net> wrote:
-> > The internet killed them.

not really, some of us are still alive and kicking :)

Ant

Sep 14, 2019, 4:30:33 AM9/14/19
Like which ones (the popular ones)? I know all my local ones are gone. :P
--
Friday, the 13th! Scooby-Doo is 50! Colony is currently recovering from an over two weeks old nasty flu! It came early too. :O
/\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.home.dhs.org /

Robert Wolfe

Sep 14, 2019, 1:37:29 PM9/14/19
-> From: a...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
->
-> Robert Wolfe <robert...@wildcat.uuhec.net> wrote:
-> > -> From: ANT...@zimage.com (Ant)
-> > -> Subject: Re: The BBS days are long gone
-> > ->
-> > -> :(
-> > ->
-> > -> Gactimus <gact...@xrs.net> wrote:
-> > -> > The internet killed them.
->
-> > not really, some of us are still alive and kicking :)
->
-> Like which ones (the popular ones)? I know all my local ones are gone

There is a telnet BBS listing that lists a lot of BBSes that are
available via telnet and even via SSH.

Michael Freitag

Sep 16, 2019, 4:56:07 AM9/16/19
Ant <a...@zimage.comant> wrote:
>> -> Subject: Re: The BBS days are long gone
>> -> :(
>> -> > The internet killed them.
>> not really, some of us are still alive and kicking :)
> Like which ones (the popular ones)? I know all my local ones are gone. :P

I don't think they are gone (apart from some telnet BBSes - honour to the sysops!)
I think it developed. Look at Facebook. It's nothin different than a very huge BBS. And people became more and more lazy consumers - or the internet has been
brought more and more to lazy consumers... Installing a client? OMG! Better
take the web frontend regardless if someone is collecting your data.

I am currently working on a modern BBS system, written in PHP and relying on
common used technology like NNTP, Jabber and SMTP(S)/IMAP(S). Users can login
on the web frontend - the BBS system - or connect directly to the services with
their clients.

What do you think about the approach to make a BBS system with modern technology?

--
Segler says:
Have a nice day!

HusTler

Sep 16, 2019, 4:15:23 PM9/16/19
MF> > Like which ones (the popular ones)? I know all my local ones are gone. :
MF>
MF> I don't think they are gone (apart from some telnet BBSes - honour to the
MF> I am currently working on a modern BBS system, written in PHP and
MF> relying on common used technology like NNTP, Jabber and SMTP(S)/IMAP(S).
MF> Users can login on the web frontend - the BBS system - or connect
MF> directly to the services with their clients.
MF>
MF> What do you think about the approach to make a BBS system with modern
MF> technology?

If you take the time to look at the current BBS list you'll find most
Synchronet BBS and Mystic BBS packages are very "modern" and have all of the
protocals found online eg. Telnet, SSH, ftp http,https,nntp,smtp and pop
email. You can also find Irc chat on Synchronet and MRC chat on Mystic. You
have QWK and FTN netorking. Hmmmm am I forgeting anything? ;-)

Robert Wolfe

Sep 16, 2019, 5:11:40 PM9/16/19
-> I don't think they are gone (apart from some telnet BBSes - honour to
-> s!)
-> I think it developed. Look at Facebook. It's nothin different than a
-> BBS. And people became more and more lazy consumers - or the internet
-> brought more and more to lazy consumers... Installing a client? OMG!
-> take the web frontend regardless if someone is collecting your data.
->
-> I am currently working on a modern BBS system, written in PHP and rel
-> common used technology like NNTP, Jabber and SMTP(S)/IMAP(S). Users c
-> on the web frontend - the BBS system - or connect directly to the ser
-> their clients.
->
-> What do you think about the approach to make a BBS system with
-> modern technolog y?

Let's see. Synchronet, Mystic, WINServer, BBBS -- all of these already
do the very thing you are seeing. At least two out of those are open
source and one is still supported shareware and three all multi-platform
and have one has source code available. So, why, I ask, are you trying
to reinvent the wheel?

Michael Freitag

Sep 17, 2019, 4:32:28 AM9/17/19
Robert Wolfe <robert...@wildcat.uuhec.net> wrote:
> Let's see. Synchronet, Mystic, WINServer, BBBS -- all of these already
> do the very thing you are seeing. At least two out of those are open
> source and one is still supported shareware and three all multi-platform
> and have one has source code available. So, why, I ask, are you trying
> to reinvent the wheel?

Oh, thats really cool!
Short answer: I just didn't know that :)
On the other hand, in former times BBS systems has been made by the sysops
themselves. So no BBS looked like the other I found that also very interesting.
So I will keep on doing (also as half of the work is being done :) ) but also
will have a look at the other systems.