[comp.infosystems.www] Announcing alpha test of PTG MAIL-DAEMON server.

HALLAM-BAKER Phillip

Mar 9, 1994, 8:56:48 AM3/9/94
Archive-Name: auto/comp.infosystems.www/Announcing-alpha-test-of-PTG-MAIL-DAEMON-server

Announcing alpha test of PTG MAIL-DAEMON server.

The Mail Server Daemon allows a user to access their mail on a remote
host via the World Wide Web. This allows hypertext links pointing to mail
messages to be incorporated in documents. An additional function
provides mailing list maintenance.

A demonstration system has been set up on a VMS host. The UNIX version of the
daemon offers the same functionality but is not yet ready for public use.

Please note that the demo system is locked to a static mailfile which does
not handle incomming mail. This is necessary as a security precaution.
Please do not send mail about the daemon to this account expecting it
to appear on the daemon - it will not.

An explanatory text describing the features may be found at:
<http://alephinfo.cern.ch/al1$user3/hallam/www/mail/mail_server.html>

Please note that there remain a few problems with the current server. The
server has a habit of producing the post after the one requested and
has been known to die occasionaly. These problems are being ironed out.
In addition the cluster is being reorganised quite a bit I can't guarantee
that the machine won't be taken down.

I am interested in comments on features and facilities that users would
like to see. It is my intention to release both a UNIX and a VMS version
with WNT support on the priority list.

Those keen on VMS may care to look at <http://axal12.cern.ch:8000/>
for a future release prospect. More on that topic later. I am afraid
that this time I cannot promise a UNIX version. I will however
be glad to help anyone who wants to do a port, the problem being that this
is an area where the code HAS to be correct.

--
Phill Hallam-Baker
EU-CERN Computing Fellow