Load and store on the Alpha

Thomas Koenig

Jun 29, 2022, 12:34:04 PM6/29/22
There's an interesting series of articles on the Alpha, written by a
Microsoft employee. The articles are partially interlinked.

The first part of the series (articles
1-7 are linked together) starts with
https://devblogs.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20170808-00/?p=96775
and goes up to part 7 on how to load unaligned data.

The second part of the series (as far as they are linked) starts
with article 8 on how to store unaligned data, it can be found
at https://devblogs.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20170816-00/?p=96825

Having read that, I think it is clear to see why the Byte/Word
extensions were added.

Terje Mathisen

Jun 30, 2022, 3:19:18 PM6/30/22
It's been a few decades since I read the original alpha architecture
manual, afair you needed 7(or 8?) instructions to load a potentially
misaligned 16-bit value and 11 to write it?

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no>

MitchAlsup

Jun 30, 2022, 3:37:30 PM6/30/22

<
> It's been a few decades since I read the original alpha architecture
> manual, afair you needed 7(or 8?) instructions to load a potentially
> misaligned 16-bit value and 11 to write it?
<
First order, this seems both:
a) correct
b) bad.