Hobbit Processor from AT&T

Michael Z Slater

Jan 19, 1992, 12:06:32 AM1/19/92
Does anyone have any details on the "Hobbit" processor from AT&T?
According to press reports, it is a low-power RISC processor that will be
used in a hand-held computing/communicating device under development at
Eo Corp., a GO spin-off. Is this a reincarnation of the old AT&T CRISP,
or something new?

Michael Slater, Microprocessor Report msl...@cup.portal.com

jozs...@gmail.com

Nov 24, 2013, 5:22:20 AM11/24/13
Hi, I'm interested in this question too. I searched the web for some materials, but I found only these docs that are mentioned in Wikipedias. But there's an interesting thing: in the Bitsavers' site there's a document, with title "ATT2100 Microprocessor Hardware Specification" - file name: ATT2100_Microprocessor_Hardware_Specification_Mar91.pdf It is in the /att/hobbit folder. Maybe it is the same processor? I couldn't find out what it was, and the Hobbit has a number (ATT) 92010 and later 92020.

So my question is that what is the ATT2100 Microprocessor and how it is related to the Hobbit?

<< Joseph Szekeres

Andrew Haley

Nov 24, 2013, 9:20:40 AM11/24/13
jozs...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, 19 January 1992 06:30:55 UTC+1, Michael Z Slater wrote:
>> Does anyone have any details on the "Hobbit" processor from AT&T?
>> According to press reports, it is a low-power RISC processor that will be
>> used in a hand-held computing/communicating device under development at
>> Eo Corp., a GO spin-off. Is this a reincarnation of the old AT&T CRISP,
>> or something new?
>
> Hi, I'm interested in this question too. I searched the web for some
> materials, but I found only these docs that are mentioned in
> Wikipedias. But there's an interesting thing: in the Bitsavers' site
> there's a document, with title "ATT2100 Microprocessor Hardware
> Specification" - file name:
> ATT2100_Microprocessor_Hardware_Specification_Mar91.pdf It is in the
> /att/hobbit folder. Maybe it is the same processor? I couldn't find
> out what it was, and the Hobbit has a number (ATT) 92010 and later
> 92020.
>
> So my question is that what is the ATT2100 Microprocessor and how it
> is related to the Hobbit?

I was at Eo (and so am one of the few people to have programmed this
thing) and I'm pretty sure that this is the Hobbit.

Andrew.

jozs...@gmail.com

Nov 24, 2013, 10:12:49 AM11/24/13

> I was at Eo (and so am one of the few people to have programmed this
>
> thing) and I'm pretty sure that this is the Hobbit.
>

> Andrew.

Great! I found another document:
Title: "Integrating a floating point unit into the AT&T
Hobbit(tm ) microprocessor"

This one is containing short descriptions of parts of the Hobbit architecture.

<< Joseph

Noob

Nov 27, 2013, 7:33:02 AM11/27/13
jozsi.ws wrote:

> On Sunday, 19 January 1992 06:30:55 UTC+1, Michael Z Slater wrote: [snip]
> Hi, I'm interested in this question too.

What I'd like to know is: How did you manage to unearth
a 22-year old usenet post?!