How to run ModelSim overnight with display off

Tianxiang Weng

Jun 11, 2021, 3:41:04 PMJun 11
Hi,
I want to run ModelSim overnight when I am sleeping.

How to run an application overnight with the display off in the laptop with Windows 10?

Is there a shortcut keystroke to turn the screen off while running an application background?

Thank you.

Weng

Mike Perkins

Jun 11, 2021, 7:06:42 PMJun 11
I've used Nirsofts command line facility with a shortcut key. This
article gives a clue:

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/create-a-shortcut-or-hotkey-to-turn-off-the-monitor/

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

Tianxiang Weng

Jun 11, 2021, 9:02:50 PMJun 11
Hi Mike,

Thank you for your help.

I will try the software.

Weng

Tianxiang Weng

Jun 12, 2021, 1:58:25 AMJun 12
Hi Mike,
It is interesting that I found another method on youtube: How to Turn off Screen of a Laptop but Keep PC Running In Windows 10/8/7; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBp8B7Vicvs

This method is permanently to Turn off Screen of a Laptop but Keep PC Running In Windows 10 when laptop' lid is closed. If you are to cancel the mode, reset the Window settings.

I don't know which method is better.

Weng

Theo

Jun 12, 2021, 6:09:05 PMJun 12
Tianxiang Weng <wtx...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It is interesting that I found another method on youtube: How to Turn off
> Screen of a Laptop but Keep PC Running In Windows 10/8/7;
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBp8B7Vicvs
>
> This method is permanently to Turn off Screen of a Laptop but Keep PC
> Running In Windows 10 when laptop' lid is closed. If you are to cancel
> the mode, reset the Window settings.

It is generally not a good idea to shut a laptop that's working hard. The
reason is many laptops direct hot exhaust air up the front of the screen,
and shutting the screen blocks the vent.

Obviously you should check the situation for your specific laptop, but I'd
recommend putting the laptop on a hard surface and leaving it open, which
will allow maximum airflow. Alternatively you can stand it on its end like
a book (assuming there are no vents on the sides that this would block).

As well as not overheating, better cooling may make your simulation run
faster because it can clock the CPU higher without overheating.

Theo

HT-Lab

Jun 13, 2021, 4:46:02 AMJun 13
On 11/06/2021 20:41, Tianxiang Weng wrote:
I believe you are running the Intel Starter edition?

If you need to run your simulation overnight that you have most
certainly hit the instance limit which means your simulation speed will
grind to a halt (1% of full PE/DE speed). I would suggest you try to
split your testbench into smaller chunks so you stay within the instance
limit and get 40-50% speed of PE/DE.

Good luck,
Hans
www.ht-lab.com

Tianxiang Weng

Jun 13, 2021, 8:16:22 AMJun 13
Hi Hans,
I calculate my first project, it has less than 5,000 lines, including all expansion codes, well below the 10,000 lines limit set by the Intel Starter edition.

I have many projects all of which are below the 10,000 lines limit, including the testing module.

The simulation speed is good, faster than the PE version I used before.

Finally, I decide not to run ModelSim very long, 1,000,000,000 ns is enough. Every clock cycle is 10 ns and it took 2 hours.

Thank you.

Weng

Tianxiang Weng

Jun 13, 2021, 8:24:51 AMJun 13
Hi Theo,
I think a laptop's fan is still working when its screen is turned off. Based on the method suggested on YouTube, the laptop never goes to sleep, and just turns off the screen.

Am I wrong?

I think your idea is good.

Weng

Tianxiang Weng

Jun 14, 2021, 3:35:10 AMJun 14
Hi,
Here is another YouTube video, doing what I want to do "How to run ModelSim overnight with display off"", https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FffUQiAFznc
Close Laptop and Use External Monitor to Display | Lid Closed and Use External Monitor Display,
Based on the described function, when the laptop lid is closed, its fan is still working!

Weng

Tianxiang Weng

Jun 14, 2021, 8:52:30 PMJun 14
Hi,
I am sorry that I wrongly said that it took me 2 hours to run simulations for my project for 1,000,000,000 ns. But this time I had a clear starting time by file *.cr and found that it took me 9 hours to do the simulation.

I am still satisfied with the speed and function of Intel ModelSim Starter Edition, the reason is I don' have to repeat the long simulation very often, and the next project will continue its code testing.

Thank you.

Weng