4-bit MCUs

Rick C

Jun 14, 2022, 11:26:30 AM6/14/22
Wow! This group seems to have all but died. It used to be very vibrant.

I'm trying to determine how prevalent 4-bit MCUs are in the world. I know lots of products have used 4-bit devices in the past, coffee-makers, remote controls, microwave ovens, etc. I believe at one time, in terms of raw quantity, they outnumbered every other sector. But I don't find very many at mainstream manufacturers. I've also only found a couple companies with less visibility who supply these parts.

Anyone out there work with 4 bit MCUs? Anyone build products in the quantities of millions where a 4 bit MCU might make a difference price wise?

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

Rick C

Jun 14, 2022, 11:28:50 AM6/14/22
On Tuesday, June 14, 2022 at 11:26:30 AM UTC-4, Rick C wrote:
> Wow! This group seems to have all but died. It used to be very vibrant.
>
> I'm trying to determine how prevalent 4-bit MCUs are in the world. I know lots of products have used 4-bit devices in the past, coffee-makers, remote controls, microwave ovens, etc. I believe at one time, in terms of raw quantity, they outnumbered every other sector. But I don't find very many at mainstream manufacturers. I've also only found a couple companies with less visibility who supply these parts.
>
> Anyone out there work with 4 bit MCUs? Anyone build products in the quantities of millions where a 4 bit MCU might make a difference price wise?

Sorry, my bad. I didn't see my other post. I need to learn how to use my tools. :(

--

Rick C.

+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

David Brown

Jun 14, 2022, 12:24:17 PM6/14/22
On 14/06/2022 17:26, Rick C wrote:
> Wow! This group seems to have all but died. It used to be very
> vibrant.

Sad, but true. Few new people join Usenet - most technical groups are
either destroyed by vandals, migrated to mostly non-technical (such as
sci.electronics.design), or haunted by greybeards. c.a.e. has always
been quite small, and most of the people here seem to be quite happy
doing their work without having to ask many questions. But when someone
/does/ ask a question, there are a fair number of lurkers who crawl out
of the woodwork to join in.

So it's nice to see a thread like this!

> I'm trying to determine how prevalent 4-bit MCUs are in the world. I
> know lots of products have used 4-bit devices in the past,
> coffee-makers, remote controls, microwave ovens, etc. I believe at
> one time, in terms of raw quantity, they outnumbered every other
> sector. But I don't find very many at mainstream manufacturers.
> I've also only found a couple companies with less visibility who
> supply these parts.

That matches my understanding.

> Anyone out there work with 4 bit MCUs? Anyone build products in the
> quantities of millions where a 4 bit MCU might make a difference
> price wise?

Not me.

David Brown

Jun 14, 2022, 12:26:09 PM6/14/22
On 14/06/2022 17:28, Rick C wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 14, 2022 at 11:26:30 AM UTC-4, Rick C wrote:
>> Wow! This group seems to have all but died. It used to be very
>> vibrant.
>>
>> I'm trying to determine how prevalent 4-bit MCUs are in the world.
>> I know lots of products have used 4-bit devices in the past,
>> coffee-makers, remote controls, microwave ovens, etc. I believe at
>> one time, in terms of raw quantity, they outnumbered every other
>> sector. But I don't find very many at mainstream manufacturers.
>> I've also only found a couple companies with less visibility who
>> supply these parts.
>>
>> Anyone out there work with 4 bit MCUs? Anyone build products in the
>> quantities of millions where a 4 bit MCU might make a difference
>> price wise?
>
> Sorry, my bad. I didn't see my other post. I need to learn how to
> use my tools. :(

You need to get proper tools instead of the "google groups" disaster.
(We've had this discussion before, and I'm not going to try to persuade
you again - but I can still hope you'll see the light!)

Dimiter_Popoff

Jun 14, 2022, 12:46:06 PM6/14/22
Oh come on David, their web interface is good enough to monitor/read
the groups. I do it all the time. When I post I do use thunderbird
so I can have a reasonable predictability of what my post will look
like, but for just looking at "what's up" the browser via google
groups is just fine.

David Brown

Jun 14, 2022, 1:02:59 PM6/14/22
This is one of the first on-topic threads we've had for a while, so
let's not get side-tracked (my apologies for taking it in that
direction). GG is great for searching and looking at old posts - I'm

Rick C

Jun 14, 2022, 1:27:39 PM6/14/22
What part of -this post was an accident- do you not understand??? The OTHER thread is the post people are replying to. This thread needs to be ignored. We don't need two on the same topic.

David Brown

Jun 14, 2022, 4:41:55 PM6/14/22
Usenet is for chatter - and it is anarchy in practice. You have no
control of what people post here, who posts what, or in which threads.
Starting a thread gives you exactly /zero/ special rights or privileges.

Rick C

Jun 15, 2022, 12:22:34 AM6/15/22
We have total control over who we ignore.

--

Rick C.

-+- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
-+- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

Philipp Klaus Krause

Jun 15, 2022, 12:42:58 AM6/15/22
Am 15.06.22 um 06:22 schrieb Rick C:

> We have total control over who we ignore.

Apparently, there is now a killfile plugin for Firefox that works with
google groups; real newsreaders had that feature for a long time.

David Brown

Jun 15, 2022, 3:02:24 AM6/15/22
Then exercise that control - ignore the people, posts or threads that
you dislike. If Dimiter and I want to discuss newsreaders on a thread
you started by mistake, that's up to us. If you want to ignore it,
that's up to you. Of course you are also free to yell at people for
making posts you don't want to see, if that's the path you want to take.